Paul McGuinness leaves United?

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United axe Paul McGuinness after Under-18s’ dreadful run

MANCHESTER UNITED have parted company with their Under-18s coach Paul McGuinness.

McGuinness has worked at the club’s academy for 11 years.

But he has paid the price for his team’s woeful season, with them lying bottom of their league after 12 straight defeats.

They were also hammered 5-1 at home by Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup.

McGuinness, a popular figure at the club, is the son of Wilf McGuiness who managed the club for 19 months after Sir Alf Ramsey retired in 1969.

It was left to Under-21s coach Nicky Butt today to break the news of his departure to the academy players at the Carrington Training Ground.

McGuinness, 49, is the first victim of Executive Vice Chairman Ed Woodward’s root and branch review of the academy.

It began when it’s head Brian McClair left last summer.

Woodward told shareholders on Thursday that changes would be announced.

Woodward said: “The academy continues to be the heart of the club, giving youth a chance is part of our DNA.

“We took the departure of Brian McClair last summer as an opportunity to do a root and branch review of the academy. That is now complete and changes are underway. Announcements will follow in in coming days.”

There has been concern at the state of the academy for some time particularly given the strides Manchester City have taken with their new training complex.

City are top of the Under-18s Northern league which United are propping up.

I wouldnt say he has gone due to the results of this season, considering the depleted squad he has had to work with (which is down to LVG)

I would say that it will have been due to the overall review of the academy and with him being here for 11 years, maybe they feel a change would be good for the club.

If this report is true, then I hope to see him go into Management soon, he has been a good servant to the club

I have been really impressed with him at United. I am really sorry to see him go. I wish him luck in his future endeavours.

Surprising news. Of course don't know what goes on behind the scenes but didn't seem like he was the problem. Changes needed though and perhaps this change was necessary. Hopefully bigger changes to be made.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

His decision then rather than the club's decision like The Sun were seemingly suggesting it would seem.

I think maybe it's a mixture of both sides coming to an agreement...

Results haven't been good enough for the under 18s but that's not just down to Paul McGuinness. He's had a depleted squad and maybe he sees no end in sight? The academy isn't what it was at our club so maybe a new direction is needed? Maybe a complete overhaul and change is required.

I wish him the best of luck. He's been a really good servant and I'm sure he'll make a fantastic manager at some level.

With the academy and u21s being on mutv then results seem to have become an issue. It really shouldn't. You could have the worst academy team of all time but if one player reaches the first team a good job has been done.we have 4 or 5 players in our academy that stand a chance of that. In general our club is in a malaise and the time may be right for changes top to bottom, but mcguiness should go with our deep thanks.

Absolutely. If the club has made the decision based on results then that's very poor.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back