Number 1 Debate

Who should be the number one this season?

• Henderson

• De Gea

• Heaton

• Grant

Results are only viewable after voting.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So Utd go into this season with 4 senior goal keepers on the books.

Henderson - Certainly seemed to finish the season as the number 1 keeper. Didn't make many mistakes but also didn't really have a game where you thought he's saved us in that one either. Tricky player to judge at this early stage.

De Gea - Been in decline for the last 3 season sadly no longer the absolute freak of nature he was before the world cup in 2018 where he was saving shot after shot week after week. One of our longest serving players and our top earner at the club but just hasn't been delivering the goods.

Heaton - The new guy very experienced Premier League keeper probably had more man of the match appearences at Old Trafford than most of our current squad but we have to assume he's come in to play the squad player role to maybe teach the younger keeper Henderson a thing or two.

Grant - is sort of doing a coaching role but also on the books and will probably play in some of the U23 games this season.

Yeah De Gea for me. You would hope that losing his place to Henderson and not being number one for Spain at the Euro’s has given him a kick up the backside. So he should have been pushing himself in training to absolutely nail down that number 1 from Henderson.

Henderson didn’t do anything wrong particularly but he didn’t exactly convince either.

Heaton always has absolutely worldies against us so don’t think he would let any one down if he was number 1 but he’s definitely here as back up.

It's De Gea for me and unfortunately it's still no even close. I'd be looking to cash in on Henderson. And see who we want to go for next once De Gea is done.

Interesting result I didn't expect to be the only one who was Team Henderson.

For me De Gea is finished he's had 3 seasons to find form again and he's been nowhere near it he spreads nerves to the back 4 and he was lucky to hold on as number 1 for as long as he did last season and was rightfully dropped by Spain. I don't hold that contract against him he earned that deal by carrying us for years.

I'm not fully convinced by Henderson either but if he's not the answer both need to go I think he deserves the chance to nail down the spot so I'd have him in as the number 1.

Has there been any clarity on why Henderson had to pull out of the England team?

Injured his hip in training before the tournament so had to pull out.

DeGea is still the best option. With Varane in defense hopefully going for those high balls that should help DeGea's command of the box etc.

Surely the point of having Varane is it should allow us to defend a bit higher as we've got that recovery speed now but if Dave is glued to his line all the time the defence is stuffed.

Henderson I think. DDG has regressed over the last few years and I'm not sure he's going to suddenly find his form. He's still a decent keeper but I think Henderson is better.

Mind you I don't think either should be the long term #1 and it's an area United need to address.

I honestly think DDG is done in the PL. has been immense but I have seen nothing to show he isn't in decline. I'd go for hendo this season, give him the full backing DDG got two years ago and if he responds excellent. If not, we may need to go looking next summer. meanwhile, get what we can for DDG - and all those people who moaned about the wages of some players in the past should check just how much we are paying the guy

DDG bit like Rooney earned his big contract with years of quality service but our board were certainly taken to the cleaners by De Gea they should never have signed off the deal he got but they did and now they've got to live with it.

If he went this summer it would be on loan and a bit like Sanchez Utd would be picking up a big chunk of his wages for this season.

Looks like De Gea may well get his chance against Leeds depending on how quickly Henderson recovers from Covid.

Tough break for Henderson sounds like he’s suffering from long Covid been struggling with fatigue since contracting the virus a few weeks ago.

Still no sign of Dean Henderson in squads he is back training so much have had it pretty bad to be out for as long as he has been.

I know some athletes have lost quite a bit of weight from Covid which for them is mainly muscle so will take time to rebuild his fitness levels.

Fair to say in his absence De Gea has performed well much better than he has been in recent seasons wouldn't say back to his absolute best which was an incredibly his standard but still better than we've seen for a while.

A shame for Henderson to get Covid when he did because I think he would have started the season as number one. However, De Gea has been pretty good so far this season, so would say he’s cemented that number one spot for the foreseeable.

If that is the case I can see Henderson leaving pretty soon, he wants to be playing and quite rightly. We also have Heaton as a number two who is probably better than a lot of number ones out there.

I'd be surprised if Heaton is still anywhere near his best from a few years ago Villa didn't want to rely on him as their number 1 last season so spent money to bring in Martinez.

Can still see it being rotated a bit when he's fully fit especially if we make progress in the league cup I would expect to see Henderson playing the cup and group stage games in europe.

He didn't exactly blow his chance as the number 1 he did fine but he does need to play regularly.

Can still see it being rotated a bit when he's fully fit especially if we make progress in the league cup I would expect to see Henderson playing the cup and group stage games in europe.
I suspect it probably will be a rotation thing but I just think that's a mistake.

I have no issue with rotation for the League Cup and even early stages of the FA but this League vs Europe GK is a nonsense. Play your best GK in the league and in Europe.

50/50 between DDG and Henderson and poor Heaton and Grant don't get a look in.

I'd expect a least one to vote for Grant if only for giggles.

DDG has been playing well but I get the feeling the defence feels more secure and confident with Henderson there

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back