New Striker Options

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So it's becoming pretty clear that Utd need to buy a new centre forward in the very near future.

Lets just assume that Mbappe and Haaland are off the table at this point.

Who are the players you think Utd should be targetting?

Depends what style of forward we go for, if we go for the traditional CF then I like Lautaro Martinez from Inter or another young option could be Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad.
Of course if you go down the route of raiding a fellow English team there are the obvious one's like Kane, or maybe even Calvert Lewin, although he does seem to be injured pretty regular.
Everyones number one choice I imagine will be Haland, but I dont see him coming to the PL, think he will end up at Real or Barca.

Well it probably depends on what system the new manager will be playing.

Considering we've got Bruno you have to assume it'll be a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 system can't see us playing 2 up top.

Thing with Lautaro is he looks to me like someone who's at their best in a front 2 not sure he could play on his own up top.

Hard to really see an obvious option from within the premier league it's not like there's a guy banging them in for fun in some mid table team.

If Madrid are going large on Mbappe ot Haaland then Vinicius has shown promise, not prolific as yet but looks good.

or Fati, but slim chance there

In terms of from the premier League Ivan Toney is probably the best available option. Or a dart throw on Iheanacho. Stepped up well for Leicester last season but they seem to be moving forward with Daka.

I also think Werner will come good wherever he goes next.

I'd be looking at Dybala on a free and move Rashford through the middle.

The only one from the PL I'd want is Kane and I don't think he'll leave Spurs for another English club.

Silva has only just signed for Liepzig and Vlahovic has just gone to Juve, so don't think they'll be available.

Dybala will be better than nothing at all, but we need to be going all in for Halaand.

I wouldn't take Kane for £50m at the moment. He's a striker on his downward spiral that'll be getting his mega money contract and not fit or making the side for most of it.

Great player, I'd just like to see us go a lot younger than that.

United are in a bit of an unexpected hole with this one. I mean Ronaldo is absolutely showing his age and the Greenwood situation has thrown a real spanner in the works.

There were hopes Greenwood was going to be the future star. The big star that could be up there with Haaland and Mbappe. But now United need to go and sign a good young striker. Who is there though? I mean that's the big question. Aside from the big 2 I'm not even sure who's a top striker these days.

I think Utd have got to find the next one and catch them on the way up rather than on the way down. We need a Rooney not an RVP if that makes sense we can’t keep changing the striker every season.

Dybala - pro he is on a free, con is he’s currently milking Juve for every penny/he isn’t really a striker and his performances don’t always live up to the billing. For me he’s huge red flags and stay clear.

Toney - I really like the look of him think he’s got a bit of Vardy about him likes the aggro but he’s got a really solid all round game and will score lots of goals in this league.

Vinicius - more of a winger than a striker from what I’ve seen. Madrid wouldn’t let him go. If they did land Mbappe and Haaland they’d probably be willing to part with Benzema.

Kane - Still plenty of years left in him but the cost would be huge and again I think he’s one who’s very best is behind him but even in decline he will still score plenty.

Haaland - obvious answer but just don’t see us being in the race. Obscene wage demands and to much bother dealing with his agents bridges feel like they are well and truly burned there.

Jiminez - for me a top class number 9 suffered that horrific injury but looks to be getting back to his best but would be another short term fix.

Calvert-Lewin - got all the attributes you need from a centre forward but injuries have hit him this season in a better team that create more chances would he score more goals.

Just to throw another name into the mix - Alexander Isak. Has always impressed me whenever I have seen him play and was impressive for Sweden in the Euro’s.

Perhaps not as prolific as you would like to see but at 22 he still has so much potential. Didn’t excel at Dortmund but was very young when he got that move and sometimes big moves at a young age don’t work out for whatever reason.

Definitely a name I would have in conversation when discussing possibles for a new striker.

United are going to have to go and get either an up and comer or someone like Calvert Lewis who has talent but might need a new challenge. They aren't going to be able to get one of the top guys if they don't finish top 4.

I think we'll struggle to recruit.

For me it's Ten Hag, build a team, all players can be sold. Build a team

I think we'll struggle to recruit.

For me it's Ten Hag, build a team, all players can be sold. Build a team
I'd have to agree. United need to go and find the young players that they can develop. It's what they did so well under Fergie, they rarely signed the best players in the world. Ten Hag at this point is a must.

United are going to have to go and get either an up and comer or someone like Calvert Lewis who has talent but might need a new challenge. They aren't going to be able to get one of the top guys if they don't finish top 4.
To be honest I think it would be a relief not being able to buy the so called top guys. They seem to come with massive egos and sense of entitlement.

I think we would complain about DCL if he joined, I don’t see a consistently prolific striker in there. He has spells but not one I would like to see us go for.

I think we would complain about DCL if he joined, I don’t see a consistently prolific striker in there. He has spells but not one I would like to see us go for.
I mean that may be a bad example. My point was they may need to sign a guy who at this point needs a fresh start. Or a young player that they can develop and mould. They need a cultural reset.

In that case our scouting needs to have massively improved as it has been a shambles over the past decade. I definitely would not break the bank for Haaland as he'd be off after 2 years.

In that case our scouting needs to have massively improved as it has been a shambles over the past decade. I definitely would not break the bank for Haaland as he'd be off after 2 years.
I actually think that's smart there bud! That's looking medium term not just short term. It is that short term vision that's gotten United in a hole.

We can't deal with a Haaland Raiola circus. We need to build a team of likeable players.

Probably 5 or 6 players in this squad I like. Not necessarily good enough, but who I like

We can't deal with a Haaland Raiola circus. We need to build a team of likeable players.

Probably 5 or 6 players in this squad I like. Not necessarily good enough, but who I like
I'd agree. United need players not stars. They need young players who they can develop but to do that they need to establish a culture.

This isn't true. We failed to finish in the top 4 and then went out and signed Pogba and Inbrahimovic. I mean Calvert Lewin isn't going to say no because we aren't in the Champions League.

In fact unfortunately the times we tend to do better business is when we don't finish top 4 because the Glazers see their champions League money pie falling to the sideline.

I just don't think these big signings work for us at the moment. They're ok if you've got a successful side, but we haven't

We need to build something from scratch. Turn decent players into excellent ones

Buy talent and get them on board, involved and invested in the project

And get rid of 90% of this lot

Problem is Calvert-Lewin would probably cost £60m even a punt on a guy who‘s not tested in Europe and barely hitting double figures costs a bomb and if you get it wrong you are stuck with him.

Utd have got so many of these signings wrong we can’t afford another mistake.

Martial - £50m didn’t work
Zlatan - free worked for a season
Lukaku - £70m didnt work luckily got most of the money back
Cavani - free Got a decent year out of him
Ronaldo - £12m and big wages done ok but there’s no future in the plan.

I don't think we should be looking at players like him

The only player I'd go large for is Rice

This isn't true. We failed to finish in the top 4 and then went out and signed Pogba and Inbrahimovic. I mean Calvert Lewin isn't going to say no because we aren't in the Champions League.

In fact unfortunately the times we tend to do better business is when we don't finish top 4 because the Glazers see their champions League money pie falling to the sideline.
I'm not suggesting Calvert Lewin would say no... But he's also not one of the top players. I'm saying united may need to go after these young guys who they can develop etc rather than the top guys. I really don't think they are going to be able to sign Rice for example as there's going to be competition for him.

I don't think we should be looking at players like him

The only player I'd go large for is Rice

Not sure playing him up front makes much sense.

I'm all in on Rice for midfield but it's becoming pretty clear now with the Greenwood situation that we also now need to go any but another striker in the summer as both Cavani and Martial will leave and I'd say there's a good chance Ronaldo will too.

I don't think you want Ronaldo here next season his focus will be firmly on the World Cup.

Not sure playing him up front makes much sense.
:rolleyes: :)

We do need a striker, because Ronaldo needs to go, unless by some miracle Greenwood is innocent he's gone, Cavani is gone. But signing these big players isn't working for us, we need to build a team who wants to fight for united, not for themselves. I don't want players who want to shoot to increase their own stats. Or throw their dummy out the pram when they don't get the ball, or don't get picked, or get subbed, or lose etc.

The whole mentality of this team is wrong. It's way to individual.

So the only big money I would spend in the market is on Rice.

The only players I like at the club, effort wise not skill is:

Dalot
Varane
Telles
Shaw
Rashford
Sancho

and to be honest, Lingard always has a great attitude on the pitch.

I don't mind them staying, sell the rest, or them, it doesn't matter to me.

These palyers do nothing for me as a supporter, I loathe most of them.

PS, I imagine we'll spend stupid on Kane :oops:

PPS, This part time manager appointment was one of the biggest mistakes this club has made, if you're going to go part time, at least get a decent manager with experience.

Just to throw another name into the mix - Alexander Isak. Has always impressed me whenever I have seen him play and was impressive for Sweden in the Euro’s.

Perhaps not as prolific as you would like to see but at 22 he still has so much potential. Didn’t excel at Dortmund but was very young when he got that move and sometimes big moves at a young age don’t work out for whatever reason.

Definitely a name I would have in conversation when discussing possibles for a new striker.
Yep, I mentioned this lad in the second comment of the thread mate, I really rate him from what I have seen and as you say, still very young at 22.

:rolleyes: :)

We do need a striker, because Ronaldo needs to go, unless by some miracle Greenwood is innocent he's gone, Cavani is gone. But signing these big players isn't working for us, we need to build a team who wants to fight for united, not for themselves. I don't want players who want to shoot to increase their own stats. Or throw their dummy out the pram when they don't get the ball, or don't get picked, or get subbed, or lose etc.

The whole mentality of this team is wrong. It's way to individual.

So the only big money I would spend in the market is on Rice.

The only players I like at the club, effort wise not skill is:

Dalot
Varane
Telles
Shaw
Rashford
Sancho

and to be honest, Lingard always has a great attitude on the pitch.

I don't mind them staying, sell the rest, or them, it doesn't matter to me.

These palyers do nothing for me as a supporter, I loathe most of them.

PS, I imagine we'll spend stupid on Kane :oops:

PPS, This part time manager appointment was one of the biggest mistakes this club has made, if you're going to go part time, at least get a decent manager with experience.

I don't think Utd should sign a superstar we've got to find the best of the up and comers but even getting these lads now costs an absolute bomb and if you get it wrong there's no way out. Arsenal took the punt on Lacazette for example £50m ended up replacing him within 6 months with a guy who cost £60m both of them will leave for nothing.

It's just a sad reality that unless we find players on bosman deals or players with low release clauses/expiring contract we will be paying sky high prices for anyone we show any interest in it's just the way the game is. That's before Newcastle pump the market with that Saudi oil money this summer. Prices are going to go nuts because of them just like they did with Chelsea, City and PSG it's going to get really tough to buy players now as everyone will be holding out for the Newcastle money.

I can see why they did what they did with Ralf couldn't get the ones they really wanted mid season so got in a guy who's got an eye for players to make an assessment of that squad and highlight the problems. I think the season was a write off the moment Ole went that run of results that cost him his job finished the league campaign. I think we should have pulled the plug sooner and gone for Conte but it would largely be the same situation he'd have wanted to clear the decks and rebuilt but we'd at least have a top class manager doing that and starting straight away. I just hope we don't make the mistake we made with Ole and give him the job we have to find a top class manager to coach the new group of players.

Another guy for the list of options is Victor Osimhen at Napoli he's 23 years old Nigerian striker started showing some real signs of potential earlier in the season before his injury he's fit now and Napoli are in the title race so will be interesting to see how he copes with that. Napoli paid an ansolute fortune for him though so he's one who would cost a bomb.

There's Gouiri at Nice and David at Lille

But any league from Ligue 1 is a huge step up

to be honest, I'm not sure about either, but I don't think David is going to able to make the step.

Yeah I've heard bits about David but Lille will be asking for mega bucks for him.

Thing is you never know until you give it a go but the gambles are just huge now there's so few clear and obvious answers.

Juventus might have found one with Vlahovic they've took the gamble on him but there isn't a guy in the premier league right now who you'd look at and go he can step up.

In the prem the top scorers that don't play in a "big 6" side are Vardy 9, Antonio 8 Dennis 8 and Maupay 7. You wouldn't really fancy taking a punt on any of them.

This is where you need Rangnick to be spotting these value players before they become stars red bull picked up players like Haaland and Mane before they became big stars. Issue is can you develop those sort of players at a club of Utd's size in the Premier League?

Tell you what after the weekend I wouldn't be going near Calvert-Lewin.

He was terrible against us there's rumours he's done a deal to join Arsenal but he was poor didn't look interested and his hold up play was pathetic. He looked like a player who's downed tools I don't think you want to be going for players with that sort of attitude.

Totally different to the player he looked last season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back