Nemanja Matic | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League: Crystal Palace 2-3 Manchester United - 5th March 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What a way to open your account.

Been waiting for a Matic banger he has these in his locker normally hits one or two a season.

I couldn’t of course be missing something obvious but when was the last time we came back from 2 down?

We got back to 2-2 vs Burnley at home earlier in the season but feels like a while since we completed it to take the 3 points.

First time in the league since we played Hull in 2013, Moyes was manager. First time a Mourinho team has ever done it in the Prem. Palace had never lost after going 2 goals up.

More of the same vs Liverpool this weekend. Please & thanks.

FA Cup: Manchester United 2-0 Brighton & Hove Albion - 17th March 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not always brilliant but stepped up when we needed him yesterday and drove us to victory.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal - 29th April 2018

He was United's best player. He's brilliant at retaining possession when under pressure.

He has been excellent this season.

Given he's had almost no rest all season he's done a great job there was a bit of a lull mid season but he's come back pretty strong down the home straight putting Herrera in the midfield probably helps him as well as he's not as exposed in there.

He's neat and tidy but you sometimes feel we could do with someone with a bit better range of pass taking the ball off the defence but these players are hard to find especially when you want his physical attributes to go with them.

He's got to be a genuine contender for player of the year at Utd would be surprised if he wasn't pushing for the top 3 with De Gea, Lingard & Lukaku

I think having Herrera in the 3 has helped both Pogba and Matic no end. Like you say he's had to do the lot on his own and it wasn't fair on the guy and you could see that mid season. His passing was damn awful for a good while. Since Herrera has come back in the pressure has been released from him and they look good in midfield.

Dunno bout PoTY, De Gea hands down for me closely followed by Lukaku.

He's been a major factor in our improvement and Chelsea's decline. What were they thinking?

I can see the logic but the new signings not settling in has hurt them big time effectively replacing Cahiil, Luiz, Matic & Costa stripped out a lot of experience from that side and it's really hurt them but Matic forced their hand a bit he wasn't prepared to sign a new deal and Chelsea have to cash in when they can. Replacing Matic probably wasn't a mistake they just picked poor replacements in Bakayoko & Drinkwater.

If I was going top 3 for player of the year it would be De Gea, Lukaku, Matic but Lukaku/Matic for me would be a joint 2nd because both had a tough patch in the middle but both have made a very positive impact in their first seasons.

Except for the 3 months he was really bad.
That’s a bit harsh. He’s had his off periods but many a time he’s been doing the work of two people in the midfield all on his own. When Pogba goes wandering in a two Matic can get overrun and I think that has been the problem at times.

On the whole though I think he’s had an excellent season, not the flashest of players but he is so calm on the ball and his big and strong. I think he’s been a very good signing indeed.

I guess what made it worse for Matic during his bad period was him passing straight to the invisible man off the pitch, straight from his own team mates throw ins, numerous times. You don't even see that on Sunday league!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back