Midfield Transfer Options

I'd have loved Bissouma but with the sexual assault charges hanging over him and the Greenwood situation hanging over us we couldn't really touch him.
It is a fair point. I think though United are going to end up with 1 midfield signing and that's a problem.

realistically, we can onl get 1 midfielder this summer, with a winger and CB and maybe LB needed.

With Donny coming back to a manager who knows how to use him it's an extra body. I also hope the new manager can get more out of Fred

Realistically then they are not going to see a lot of improvement next year. And I don't mean just in terms of results and league position but in terms of style. ETH will be given no chance the poor guy.

yeah, I think I am one of one on here who doesn't think top 4 is a possibility next year.

I am hoping come jan/feb a style of football is beginning to be established and we start to look like a side that gives a sh**

I think the first few months our pathetic players will be too worried about getting injured for the WC and struggling with the new tough regime.

I'm just not sure a style of play can really be achieved with a midfield that contains just one new addition though. I mean look yes I think Fred will improve but McTominay just isn't good enough. And beyond those guys they have nothing.

From what I understand a ETH system is about pressing and control. Sure players can be made to press and work more. Fred and McTominay both can do that as they have good engines. But they lack the ability to be able to control when they win possession back. Midfield is a key area of any team and especially a team who wants to control and press.

2 is the absolute minimum to replace Matic and Pogba who have left. I see VDB return as a way of replacing Mata/Lingard with one player.

As for Bissouma can only assume Spurs are confident that the charges against him won't be going anywhere if they're going to buy him.

2 is the absolute minimum to replace Matic and Pogba who have left. I see VDB return as a way of replacing Mata/Lingard with one player.
Agreed. Matic and Pogba going leaves a hole in the midfield. The way it stands right now in a 433 formation both McTominay and Fred would be starting. And if they are looking at De Jong then he's not a CDM so that leaves a big hole there. They have to get 2 if they want to get anywhere near the style ETH wants to play.

not geting 2 midfielders is my view. One, what we've got and youth players.

We deseperately need a CB, and it looks like Antony is going to happen. I would be amazed if we get more than 3. Unless a left back leaves.

Don’t think we should lose our mind just because another club has signed a midfield player.

If we were to go for a Brighton midfielder than Caicedo would of been the one for me anyway, as he will be a far better player in the long run.

Got to keep the faith that the work is being done behind the scenes and soon we will be seeing the players come in.

Come on we've got 3 really good international quality centre backs they're at least 7/10 quality no matter how bad you think Lindelof, Maguire or Varane are. We desperately need a right back before we get a centre back as neither right back is good enough.

The midfield is an absolute mess we can't be sticking kids in there even if Garner/Hanibal are around next season 4 senior midfield players left this summer. Pogba/Matic/Lingard/Mata we need to replace them.

Currently we've got Bruno/VDB/McT/Fred covering the 3 midfield positions, really I think for 3 midfield spots you want 7 options so I think we need to sign 2 and keep either Hanibal or Garner in the squad as the 7th.

Ideally the second midfield signing will be someone like Milner experienced guy in his late 20's who can just slot in as and when you need him doesn't need to be a £50m mega star if they're going big for De Jong which seems to be the way things are looking right now.

I would bet my house a new CB arrives this summer.

And unlike you, I think we have a bunch of very average CB's. If Varane could stay fit, yes top quality. All the others are bordering on rubbish.

those CB's got 5, 5 and 6 on this forum. A forum who absolutely adores Maguire too.

I would bet my house a new CB arrives this summer.

And unlike you, I think we have a bunch of very average CB's. If Varane could stay fit, yes top quality. All the others are bordering on rubbish.

those CB's got 5, 5 and 6 on this forum. A forum who absolutely adores Maguire too.

I'm not convinced on the centre back talk unless he can sell one of those 3 I think he'll try and make it worth with what he's got.

Just think midfield has been terribly stocked for years since they signed Fred in 2018 we've signed 2 midfielders in VDB and Bruno. We've lost Fellaini, Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Lingard and Mata and even worse is 5 of these guys went on a free.

I'd be happy if they get another centre back in to replace Bailly who needs booting out the door but if it's at the expense of the second midfielder we need we're in big trouble next season.

well there is talk he's going to use Pellestri, so maybe he'll forsake Antony for another CM.

However it works, I don't see more than 3 players arriving.

I think with the departures it's got to be 4 minimum. RB, 2 x CM's and a RW.

Antony as the right sided attacker gives you Antony/Elanga/Sancho/Rashford/Ronaldo/Pellestri/Amad to cover the 3 attacking positions, can add Martial if he stays but I think they'll want him out the door either on loan or sold. Just means if Ronaldo doesn't play we don't really have a number 9.

If Bailly/Jones depart a centre back will be required as Mengi is still very young and don't think Tuanzebe is going to come back.

Come on we've got 3 really good international quality centre backs they're at least 7/10 quality no matter how bad you think Lindelof, Maguire or Varane are. We desperately need a right back before we get a centre back as neither right back is good enough.
The problem there is... International quality. Maguire and Lindelof look great for their countries but they aren't good enough at the actual top level of football. United need a GK, RB, CB, LB, at least 2 CMs, a RW and a CF. Can't do it all in one summer I agree but that's got to be the medium term vision for ETH and United.

Maguire is not looking great for England is he?

@jsp, I like you've still not included a CB haha. Wished we could have a wager.

I can see a 4th signing if Eriksen is going ahead. But I see a CB and a CM defo coming. A LB only if we shift AWB, so that could be another signing. I've gone from 3 to 5 haha

So CB, CM and RW

Eriksen and a LB if AWB is sold. I imagine he'll want to see them in training before going too crazy.

To be honest, aster the last few windows I'll be amazed if we get anything over the line.

Completely off topic, listening to the Cricket, crazy 20 mins since tea.

Eriksen and a LB if AWB is sold. I imagine he'll want to see them in training before going too crazy.

To be honest, aster the last few windows I'll be amazed if we get anything over the line
I can't see more than 3 I really can't. And I think their rivals will all sign at least 3.

As for seeing them train. I mean if he's not come in with a clear idea then I don't know what to say or think. These players have more lives than a cat.

Maguire is not looking great for England is he?

@jsp, I like you've still not included a CB haha. Wished we could have a wager.

I can see a 4th signing if Eriksen is going ahead. But I see a CB and a CM defo coming. A LB only if we shift AWB, so that could be another signing. I've gone from 3 to 5 haha

So CB, CM and RW

To be honest, aster the last few windows I'll be amazed if we get anything over the line.

Completely off topic, listening to the Cricket, crazy 20 mins since tea.

Haven’t watched much of the England games over the summer he did ok vs Germany and from what I read played well vs Hungary In the first game.

Last summer we signed Heaton, Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo
Summer before was VDB, Cavani, Amad, Pallestri, Telles

Think the club are showing they can do a number of deals but who knows I don’t expect much to happen until players are back from their holidays doesn’t feel like anything is particularly advanced with any player and an announcement is imminent.

at CB if no one is willing to buy Bailly I can see him staying if he’s sold you assume someone has to come in but I’d expect him to be a squad player rather than an expensive starter. They may even use Jones as the fourth choice let him play the cup/Europa games.

I think the videos tell him all he needs to know about AWB think if he can sell him and get a replacement he will if they can’t he will probably be stuck with him.

This is sad. They were exactly what we needed. Again, Bayern act smart and get the best players fast every time. Can't we learn from them ? I don't believe in the De Jong story but we can hope. I just expect over names, than the usualy big money move. Veron and Pogba has not worked. We should take note and change your way. Sabitzer is not what we need. I can't see them letting Kimmich go. Maybe Toliso if he can stay fit.

Hardly fast, Gravenberch agreed to a move to Bayern in October and it still hasn't been finalised yet.

And I was joking about Kimmich he'll probably retire at Bayern, but Sabitzer, who is equally good on both sides of the ball was a roaring failure and with the new arrivals coming Bayern might be tempted to move him on. I'd take him for circa £20m.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In other believable news, outgoing CEO and fans favourite Ed Woodward has left a parting gift for Ten Hag in the shape of Basil Brush who has recently been recruited from Leicester City(obviously)as with De Gea's reluctance to come outside his area, and the lack of pace in central-defence it's long been felt among the hierarchy that United desperately needed somebody to sweep up at the back.

And they said Ed didn't have a clue what he was doing. Pfft.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back