Midfield Transfer Options

He went big on Veron which didn't really work out then he had Hargreaves and Anderson who on paper were two great signings and helped us win the CL in 2008 but both had careers destroyed by injury we only really got 1 good season out of them.
I think both Hargreaves and Anderson were a little misused weren't they? Hargreaves played RB a bit and Fergie tried to turn Anderson in to a more defensive midfield when actually he had a lot of flair. Or at least that's what I remember.

I think both Hargreaves and Anderson were a little misused weren't they? Hargreaves played RB a bit and Fergie tried to turn Anderson in to a more defensive midfield when actually he had a lot of flair. Or at least that's what I remember.

Hargreaves played a couple of times on the wing to try and accommodate Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez into a 4-4-2 but most of the time he was a centre mid. Think Hargreaves played right wing in moscow to try and stop Cole getting forward. Was a system we used a lot with Beckham in the past as he’d tuck in to make a midfield 3 when defending.

Anderson was never the same player after his injury at Porto but Utd took the chance on him but we never really saw a consistent level from him all the talent but lacked the focus to become a superstar. Think they just wanted him to be a little more disciplined he loved to get snuck in and had fantastic talent with the ball but never had the engine to be an all rounder. Think he knew the injuries took a bit away from him so he just wanted to have a good time Fergie apparently loved him.

Both were good in the 2007/08 season but after that Hargreaves just disappeared injury after injury meant he spent basically 3 years on the sidelines and Anderson gave us some flashes but missed to many games.

I keep reading links to Phillips, will such a Leeds boy and from a huge family Leeds come to united? I don't think so.

But lets say it's an option. He seems to my mind, so probably not right, to have been injured for large parts of the season. And is he even good enough? 50m is the reported price, so that does seem ok.

Would it be more wise to add 50m to that and get Rice? who doesn't appear to want to come either haha.

For me, I think De Jong makes sense, knows the system and might be able to bring the best out of Donny too. Barca seem willing to sell, and they are also keen on Rashford. But if we get rid of Rashford then we need the Antony deal to come off too.

We should chose under 25 yo only.

Bellingham
Gravenberch
Tchouameni
Kamara
Rice
Haidara
De Jong
Laimer
Tielmans
Bissouma
Neves

Get 2 or 3 from this list and we will be good. The younger the better. But please no stupid fee over 60m£. I can accept that only for De Jong

Phillips is 26. Surely thats acceptable? Him and Nevez are closely aged.

No point in having Rice on the list if you're limiting it to £60m. It's not happening.

Tielemans is available for £25m but doesn't resolve the pressing issue of needing a DM.

I fear any midfield you choose will be a very dull and defensive one though.

Phillips I really like but he's barely played this season think he had an injury tried to come back to soon and then went out of the team again. You'd have to consider that in your decision making process is this a one off or is the injury something that could be a problem for him going forward in his career.

I think he's a good player but you are paying the PL premium plus there's that Leeds link I'm not sure he'd want to torch his hometown reputation to join this version of Utd.

Would be very surprised if Tielemans price is that low even with only 1 year on his deal I think he's a great little player would be a good edition to our squad.

Think for any of the prem based centre mids that might be of interest you are going to end up paying 40-50m for them. Phillips, Neves, Tielemens, McGinn, Bissouma.

Rice for me is out the picture West Ham are going to demand a Maguire level fee for him they've got him tied to a contract so just don't see them dropping that price. It's the same with Bellingham really these two will be £100m+ each we just can't go to those sort of extremes.

I did see some suggestion that Barca might be willing to part with De Jong this summer I think other clubs would certainly fancy him but we'd be looking at Ten Hag to be the pull to get him to us over other clubs.

There's plenty of players out their and for me Utd probably need at least 2 this summer and I'd be keeping Garner around on top of that to give us 5 centre mid options next season. It's a vital area of the pitch where we are very weak.

Never been that sold on Phillips to be honest. An honest pro but nothing really stands out for me. He works very hard and always puts in a shift but so do after and McT to be honest.

We need guys in our midfield with that little bit of stardust.

Rice is very unlikely and anyway do we want to spend £100+m on him? Not so sure.

De Jong is likely in my opinion. Barca still needs money and the ETH link could put any move in our favour.

The thing with Rice is, it's 100m, but you know it will work. We could spend way more than that keep buying players who don't fit. The problem with Rice is will he want to come. i doubt it. But iwe could get him for 100m I'd say go for it.

But as I said when when I posted about this earlier, De Jong makes more sense, especially if we are using Donny.

I personally think Phillips has a much better passing range than McTominay as well as being a better ball winner all round just a better player maybe slightly less of a goal threat than McTominay.

I don't think we need stardust we need reliability yes the players need to be talented but we need lads you can rely on every week and deliver.

Funny enough the only game I've really seen Phillips struggle was last season when Utd battered Leeds at home 6-2 Bruno run rings round him that day as he was a man marker and he dragged him all over the place leaving gaps for others to exploit. Away to Leeds was 0-0 and he didn't give Bruno a sniff a lesson was learned. Phillips missed both games this season and Bruno once again run riot.

Bellingham
Gravenberch
Tchouameni
Kamara
Rice
Haidara
De Jong
Laimer
Tielmans
Bissouma
Neves

Get 2 or 3 from this list and we will be good. The younger the better. But please no stupid fee over 60m£. I can accept that only for De Jong
No chance you'll get Bellingham for less than 60 million. Liverpool may do simply because they are playing at the top level competing for the biggest trophies.

No chance you'll get Bellingham for less than 60 million. Liverpool may do simply because they are playing at the top level competing for the biggest trophies.

Not sure Dortmund will be giving Liverpool a discount just because they're good.

If anything charge them more.

I'm not saying we will get them. But we should try for them first and look elsewere after all of them said no, because they are the kind of players that will instantly improve us. Gravenberch and Tielmans only have one year left on there contract and Tchouameni has a gentleman agrement to leave this summer. We must fight for them.

Bellingham
Gravenberch
Tchouameni
Kamara
Rice
Haidara
De Jong
Laimer
Tielmans
Bissouma
Neves

I add Sangaré from Psv and Fofana from Lens. If we are desperate add Thuram from Nice. Don't know over good and gettable players from the Bundesliga, Liga or Ligue 1. Absolutly don't want any midfielder from Serie A, Pogba slow play as served us well and most of them, lack tenacity.

Bellingham
Gravenberch
Tchouameni
Kamara
Rice
Haidara
De Jong
Laimer
Tielmans
Bissouma
Neves

Why, it's about getting the right fit, whether they are 18 or 32, surely.

And you can forget about the bottom three on that list, none would be a significant upgrade, and we should give the lad from Brighton a wide berth as well even if he was, for obvious reasons.

Why, it's about getting the right fit, whether they are 18 or 32, surely.

And you can forget about the bottom three on that list, none would be a significant upgrade, and we should give the lad from Brighton a wide berth as well even if he was, for obvious reasons.
No, we should invest wisely and build the core of the team. We need players that will be there 5 years minimum, that can still be moved on for some money after this period. The quick fix with oldies make us lose too much money and generate too much work to do, by searching every 2 years another fix.

For the last 3 of the list, they will all walk easily in the first 11, and make us better. Bissouma is a CDM and we have none at the moment and Neves and Tielmans are way better than McTominay and Fred. They are the typical type of players that are too good to stay at there average clubs and need to move on to get european football regularly.

United need to add 2 midfielders this summer and then arguably 2 the year after. At this point they should be looking to move on from at least one of McTominay or Fred but they'll have to do that next summer. And a lot will come down to how well Garner does if he's given a chance.

Yep for me in the next 12 months that entire area of the pitch needs an overhaul 2 of them are leaving this summer with the contracts expiring they need to be replaced straight away and really I don't see much of a future for Fred or McTominay unless they suddenly become better players in this new system.

Midfield is such an important area of the pitch with the physical demands that come from it too and 5 subs coming in next season you are going to need lads on the bench who can come on and bring similar quality to those that start.

The thing I want to see with ETH is a consistent approach to the type of midfielder we sign we need to bring in players who fit our system and style so that they become interchangeable if one of them is out there's a similar type of player who knows the role he needs to play waiting to come in.

City apparently interested in Phillips.

Sounds to me like the usual nonsense but if Leeds go down think most of the top 6 would try and sign him apart from Liverpool who've got plenty of numbers in midfield. City, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs I think would all be interested in a player like him especially if he was going cheap.

I think they'd be interested in him as he's got that Bielsa schooling and Pep is a big fan of that so he might be one they take a bit of a risk on as they will need to sign a centre mid or two this summer with Fernandino leaving and Gundogan expected to follow.

I don't think we've got much of a chance with him to be honest he's Leeds through and through and he won't want to burn his bridges in his home town by going to Utd.

If that's true then that's a shame. Phillips would be ideal for United I think. He's one of the CMs in terms of style they need.

No, we should invest wisely and build the core of the team. We need players that will be there 5 years minimum, that can still be moved on for some money after this period. The quick fix with oldies make us lose too much money and generate too much work to do, by searching every 2 years another fix.

For the last 3 of the list, they will all walk easily in the first 11, and make us better. Bissouma is a CDM and we have none at the moment and Neves and Tielmans are way better than McTominay and Fred. They are the typical type of players that are too good to stay at there average clubs and need to move on to get european football regularly.

Not sure about that, Bissouma whenever i've seen him is more a box2box than a DM, plus he's still on bail for Sexual Assault and United won't go anywhere near him, nor will any of the other top teams, while that's pending, and Neves and Tielemans can both spray the ball about nicely from deep and be easy on the eye at times, but they are both seriously one-paced. We need all-action.

Plus all three usually play in a system where there's 3 central defenders behind them offering protection and lessening their defensive responsibilities, and it's a totally different ball-game playing in front of a back four as they would be at United.

There's a lot better out there. It's just finding and signing 'em.

Not sure about that, Bissouma whenever i've seen him is more a box2box than a DM, plus he's still on bail for Sexual Assault and United won't go anywhere near him, nor will any of the other top teams, while that's pending, and Neves and Tielemans can both spray the ball about nicely from deep and be easy on the eye at times, but they are both seriously one-paced. We need all-action.

Plus all three usually play in a system where there's 3 central defenders behind them offering protection and lessening their defensive responsibilities, and it's a totally different ball-game playing in front of a back four as they would be at United.

There's a lot better out there. It's just finding and signing 'em.
Any names ? I call for this 3 because they are gettable but if you thinks we Can get better in your situation, i'm ready to learn your new ideas.

Any names ? I call for this 3 because they are gettable but if you thinks we Can get better in your situation, i'm ready to learn your new ideas.

All players are gettable.

But money no object, one from Declan Rice and Pierre-Emile Højbjerg for DM, and one from Frenkie de Jong, Sergej Milinković-Savić and Sandro Tonali for no.8 and we'd be sorted.

Bissouma and Tielemans would be my preference.

We aren't getting the likes of De Jong and Milinkovoc

Bissouma, isn't he under investigation at the moment?
I think these two will be prem money for pretty average players

No but we aren't going to make the jump from what we've got to superstars its going to take time and steady improvement

No but we aren't going to make the jump from what we've got to superstars its going to take time and steady improvement
And that's why I think United need to target those young players who are on the up rather than the finished product. That was the way under Fergie for the most part. They need those young hungry players who want to take that next step and fight for their place.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back