Memphis Depay | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Memphis Depay match discussion thread for the 2015/16 season.

Club America - 18/7/2015

Promising start. I was impressed with his vision and passing.

Seems to have come in for some very harsh criticism from some sections of support. Excellent apart from that one time where he decided to take a shot on rather than pass to Young who was in space. Was interesting to see him central as apart from the World Cup, i've not seen him central and this was in a different role really. Think i'd prefer to see him on the left but looks comfortable centrally and there were signs of a partnership with Rooney developing.

San Jose Earthquakes - 22/7/2015

Another impressive outing.

Nice finish.

Handed it on a plate but still a great finish. Hopefully people can be patient with him, seen a few on twitter already criticising him. Already a very good player but has things to work on for sure. The role he's playing for us at the minute is pretty new to him.

Tottenham Hotspur - 8/8/2015

A tad disappointed when he was taken off. OK debut, more to come.

Nothing spectacular today. Need a striker so we can get him out wide.

Aston Villa - 14/8/2015

His movement was very good.

He will score plenty of goals.

Should have buried that chance but very exciting performance. He'll only improve. 2 years time I think we'll have a very good player on our hands. Right now, he'll be hit or miss.

Still looked a hit eager, but there were some decent flashes. It didn't help him that Rooney was so poor. Would have helped him a lot if that chance had gone in though!

Club Brugge - 18/8/2015

Two fantastic goals and a brilliant assist.

Showed what he capable of tonight. I am genuinely excited for a no. 7 after a long time.

Well that was fantastic and could have been so much better. Weight off his shoulders when the first went in, confidence just kept growing. You knew he had the ball just by hearing the crowd, a rare noise at Old Trafford in recent years, the buzz is back.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great attitude from him. He has to keep that hunger up. It will help him go a long way in his career

Newcastle United - 22/8/2015

Had Mbemba for toast but final ball was lacking.

Looked shattered at end of the game yesterday, it seemed at one point before the Darmian sub that Young would come on for him, i've read from those at OT yesterday that Darmian had some sort of injury problem so the sub didn't happen. Herrera had also spent a while warming up too. Will probably be rested on Wednesday, should be anyway as should a few others.

He's had a slow start to life in the Premier League.

We are over reliant on him, which is unfair on a 21 year old in a new league.

Turkey - 6/9/2015

Liverpool - 12th September 2015

On to the bench for the next game?

Said after the Newcastle game (90 mins) where he looked tired late on that he should have been rested against Club Brugge (2nd leg - another 90 mins) and come back in fresh for Swansea (90 mins). Played 2 90 mins for Netherlands recently and poor today. I'd like to see him and Martial start v PSV but maybe have both on the bench for So'ton. Clearly struggling in the Prem, play him in Europe and ease him in to the Prem.

It was always asking a lot of him to come in and take the league by storm. Also it didn't sit right with me dropping Young after his best season. The fact that Young had done so well means we could have eased him in.

I was surprised to see Young dropped after the Spurs game, didn't see it but played a part in the goal. Don't think it would do any harm to leave him out for a bit, let him settle down and hopefully he'll come back with better performances.

Feel sorry for Depay, he is being relied on now to make something happen. It puts a lot of pressure on him and after a while I feel managers will start doubling up on him as they will quickly notice he's pretty much our only threat.

As I've said in another thread we would be far more potent had we a threat down the right. Ideally both Depay and Young would play on either wing, but they both prefer the left. If Rooney started firing it would help also.

PSV - 15th September 2015

@Berba_God

Southampton - 20th September 2015

Cutting a frustrating figure at the moment but he did well for the 3rd goal.

Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland - 26th September 2015

Nice to see him score his first league goal.

I think he's overdoing it at the moment, probably due to wanting to make an impression, but his decision making is suffering as a result. His decision improve once he's settled.

Pretty standard for a young player to be like this, which is why Martial's performances have been such a surprise. Memphis inconsistent and frustrating at the minute but always capable of making things happen and there are very promising signs between him and Martial.

Really does remind me of Ronaldo in his first couple of seasons. If he keeps working hard and trying things, eventually more and more will come off. Big admirer of players with that attitude we just need to be patient with him.

Manchester United 2-1 Wolfsburg - 30th September 2015

Huge threat but end product just lacking. Hopefully clicks in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back