Memphis Depay | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the decision to replace him was right, however Pereira was unable to provide the same outlet due to the team's performance in the second half.

We've seen glimpses of what Depay can do, and the potential is obvious. He's work in progress.

Arsenal 3-0 Manchester United - 4th September 2015

He needs to spend less time preening and chasing Chris Brown's sloppy seconds and more time tracking back.

Cant take players on and can't pass.

Inconsistent performances for young players is understandable, but the lack of workrate in today's showing was very disappointing.

Manchester United 0-0 Middlesbrough (1-3 pens) - 28th October 2015

Get used to the bench lad. You're not a superstar yet.

I can sort of see why he was tried centrally at the start of the season.

Watford 1-2 Manchester United - 21st November 2015

Top finish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hope he builds on this good game and starts scoring a bucketload for us

Delighted when he scored. Been getting a hard time from all angles. Think he's been struggling physically, the pace of the league is much higher and to me looked like he needed a rest/to be left out sooner than when it did happen, thought he looked spent after the 0-0 v Newcastle. I watched him a fair bit for Holland and PSV after the World Cup and he hasn't looked as quick for us, possibly because he's struggling physically, it happens. The pace of the league has also meant he's had less time on the ball and to think, so his decision making has been poor.

Interesting that Van Gaal said after the game that he sees him as a striker. Wonder if we could see Martial continue on the left with Memphis upfront when everyone's fit.

Manchester United 0-0 PSV - 26th November 2015

He's back to being shite again

I watched a fair bit of him for PSV last season and although his overall record was very good in terms of goals and assists, he would have had lots of hit and miss performances so we have to expect these kind of showings.. However what we should also expect is a bit more effort on Depay's part, his attitude worries me to be honest.

Manchester United 0-0 West Ham United - 5th December 2015

Should have been brought on sooner and for me should have started. Looked bright when he came on and worked hard off the ball too.

We haven't seen him just attacking the defenders like he did yesterday enough. It makes a big difference compared to the slow dawdling he's been doing.

He looked miles better.

Wolfsburg 3-2 Manchester United - 8th December 2015

Encouraging second half performance after a quiet first half.

Bournemouth 2-1 Manchester United - 12th December 2015

Another encouraging performance. Much better.

Starting to look the player he was last season now. Adjusted to the pace and physicality of the league and is now able to show his technical ability. Much more to come.

Stoke City 2-0 Manchester United - 26th December 2015

That was bad, very very bad.

If his confidence was low before it's certainly not good now.

Shite player. No improvement in his game after half a season. Could be my famous last words and could have to eat my hat after this but he is shite

Just has terrible decision making. Whenever he has the ball I know with 80% conviction that he will give it away. I hoe he improves, perhaps he needs a season to settle into the pace of the league.. Dutch league is nowhere near prem standards and has to be a factor.

Manchester United 1-0 Sheffield United - 9th January 2016

Did well. Positive and direct.

The only player on the pitch that really looked like he wanted to win the game.

I don't really know what to say anymore. Don't feel I can truly judge player performances as no one is actually playing well, and for me blame lies with manager when that happens as one of his jobs is to get the best out of the players.

hopefully his form will further improve. We need players with his abilties.

Against the weaker sides/slower paced games such as this one, Brugge and a few others Depay looks a real player in the making (also the Eredivisie last season) but he hasn't adjusted to the higher tempo games. He needs to persevere and work hard and maybe we will see these kinds of showings more regularly against better sides.

Newcastle United 3-3 Manchester United - 12th January 2016

Decent attacking cameo.

If Fellaini wasn't a donkey, we win the game and Memphis gets the plaudits along with Rooney. Great run and cross for that Fellaini chance at 3-2. Again looking to make the difference and did with that Rooney goal. A bit of patience needed, he is young and has come from a much weaker league, struggled with pace of league early on, pace had gone and needed a rest but was kept in the side for many weeks after and often played the full 90.

I think he's starting to show signs that it's coming together for him.

He's taken a bit of time to settle and he's still got a way to go but he's improving. He's starting to beat his man and create opportunities for others so that'll hopefully give him confidence.

The next step will be to do it for 90 minutes. It's one thing to do it from the bench against tiring players but it'll be another step to do it from the start. But he has got that ability so I'm sure we'll start to see it more.

U21s: Manchester United 7-0 Norwich City - 8th February 2016

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

watched the full 90 and must say despite 3 assists it wasn't fully cinvincing. Anyway good to see him involved in a lot of good things despite a very young Norwich side. For me he needs more focus and less trickery. It's not going to get anywhere that easy in the Prem as against those kids yesterday.

Thought he was very professional last night, no evidence of sulking because he was playing U21s football. Looked like he was enjoying himself and worked hard. His first season has been mis-managed in my view, played too much in first few months, now not playing enough hence need for gametime in the U21s.

He had a very lively start to his United career. Just feel that he has suffered due to shaw's injury. No one to make the overlapping run on the left for him. Also has not been helped by his decision making in the final third.

Van Gaal on Memphis' display against Norwich U21s:

“I think for him it was a very good match as it could raise his confidence and I have seen the reaction of the fans. These fans are the real fans, those who look to the second team, and they were very enthusiastic. He had three assist, but all his actions was very enthusiastic and it is also good for him.”

Sunderland 2-1 Manchester United - 13th February 2016

Well despite a positive performance for the under 21s I thought he was pretty average when he came on yesterday.

Not only did he push Martial to the right but he really didn't have a great impact on the game. I recall one chance that was set up for him and he tried to bend it in to the corner but that was about it. He didn't look interested in helping out defensively yet didn't then exploit any space afforded to him as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back