Mauricio Pochettino at PSG

I can understand overpaying to get the best of the best on the rare occasion they become available, but the likes of Herrera/Wijnaldum are average at best. II suppose if Ronaldo/Messi are on 1-ish m/week then players half as good think they're worth 500k/week? Insanity.

Been a busy summer for them signing Wijnaldum, Ramos and Donnarumma on free transfers plus they've signed Hakimi from Inter for around £50m plus add ons.

Still doubts about Mbappe's future at the club but they've certainly plugged a few gaps in that squad with these signings and who knows if more will follow.

Yeah it's the first time I've ever really seen him as I never watch Italian football and he has looked very good you can see the hype is real around that lad.

Still not 100% clear what PSG are planning to do talk that he might go back to Italy on loan for 1 year as they already have Navas who has been doing really well for them since joining from Real Madrid.

Yesterday it was said no year loan and it was never an option

Such an odd move given they gave Navas another new deal back in April.

Surely he'll want to get out on loan can't have two keepers of that quality fighting to be number 1.

Donnarumma signed on a 5 year deal free transfer bet he’s on mega wages.

and clearly doesn't mind being bored... playing in goal for PSG in Ligue 1 is hardly a great challenge

People can diss them all they want but in the last 2 seasons they've made the CL final and semi final so they're a decent side and they've made some good buys this summer.

Surely getting paid loads of money to do as little work as possible is the dream isn't it?

Not like he's on commission for every save he makes is it.

Be interesting to see how Ramos and Neymar co-exist in one dressing room they'll either get on like a house on fire or it'll cause a massive rift in the dressing room. Ego central that place.

plop Pogba in there too... Boooom

It's an odd move for the keeper, in as far as you'd think a lot of teams would be after him on a free. But there seemed little interest all around.

Think all the top sides are pretty settled when it comes to keepers right now

Barca - Ter Stegen
Madrid - Courtois
Atletico - Oblak
Bayern - Neuer
City- Ederson
Liverpool - Alison
Utd - we really can't afford another one.

Juventus seems to be the destination but they're absolutely skint and can't get anyone off the wage bill and they aren't really desperate for a keeper. The only other top club that maybe needs a really top class keeper would be Chelsea but again I don't think they are desperate.

From the reporting PSG weren't really desperate for him but as one of the only clubs with any cash they saw it as to good an opportunity to miss out on. Bet he's on huge wages and Mino got a nice fat cheque out of it too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"We must not forget that we have in our hands the best players in the world, but also their families, their media entourages, their followers. It's not easy."

"PSG wants to win. To win the Champions League, the Championship, the Cup -- all the matches. They didn't come looking for us to build a project, asking us what we needed to develop our ideas, or what we like," he added.

"We came here to adapt and to win, with the structure and characteristics of the players who are here."

Interesting quotes from him basically saying that the club don't expect him to impose his way of playing on the squad they just expect him to find a way of winning with what he's given.

With the way things are it's hard to see him lasting to long at PSG feels like if they don't win the CL this season or go bloody close he'll be binned.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Translation: "The club's management has informed Mauricio Pochettino that his adventure at PSG will end at the end of the season, Abdellah Boulma tells me."

so we'll go for the cheap option and remain trophyless for the next 3 years.

I did think once we let Donny go that ten Hag was out

Yeah he's United bound then. Not sure how that necessarily fits with Rangnick being at the club but there you go.

Rangnick role for next season still isn't totally clear he's just a consultant but Poch has worked under sporting directors at Southampton, Spurs and PSG so it's nothing particularly new to him.

The key thing is the directors and the coach have to see the game the same way and be working towards the same goal.

I still think Poch is probably the best fit but equally I'm not 100% convinced he'll be able to topple City and Liverpool at the moment they're just to far ahead of us. Things can change quickly in football we live in hope that this era at Liverpool is a bit of a flash in the pan but City is going to be some challenge to overcome.

How can he be the best fit when he failed in the Prem league?

edit

Just see he's lost in the cup in France, so he's failing there too.

How can he be the best fit when he failed in the Prem league?

edit

Just see he's lost in the cup in France, so he's failing there too.

How is turning Spurs into a competitive top 4 side and reaching a european cup final failure?

LADS IT'S SPURS
SPURSY

These are the phrases we associated with Spurs not success he got them damn close to something that was comparible with Leicester winning the league in 2016. It fizzled out after that and he probably deserved to lose his job but he wasn't helped by the club not listening to his warnings over refreshing the squad.

I can get the PSG stuff but they are going to win the league and it'll be interesting to see how far they go in europe. Pretty sure they went out of the cup playing a young side something he's tried to do a lot this season as the big name stars are often unavailable.

That club is a joke the players run the dressing room and most of them are out on the p*ss in Paris all the time rather than focusing on football. He needs to get out of there ASAP as no manager will ever crack it with them lot.

The squad he had at Spurs was infinitley better than the one have, or indeed any squad we've had since Sir left and he won zero.

He's a good coach, but he's not a great one, we won't win the league or CL with him.

The squad he had at Spurs was infinitley better than the one have, or indeed any squad we've had since Sir left and he won zero.

He's a good coach, but he's not a great one, we won't win the league or CL with him.

Starting XI I'll give you but I don't agree they ever had a squad good enough to win the title they were trying to topple Pep's City who have bossed this recent era of the league.

I don't think he will either I'm not sure the club will ever win one of those competitions again unless we can put together something similar to what Liverpool did where you hire a top quality manager and basically nail every signing for 3 or 4 windows to build an almost perfect football team. Then they still needed to have a season where their core team stayed free of injury and City had a wobble.

I just always like the way his teams played, he improved his players as well and at Utd I think he could do the same build something worth celebrating.

If he can turn McFred like he did Deli then yeah, maybe I could be won around.

Because Deli does appear to be proper garbage who looked like mustard

For me, he's way down on the list. But we know united, if he gets sacked by PSG we'll go for the easy cheap option, not necessarily the right option.

I think Deli will go down as a player who shone bright then fizzled out he had a lot of niggling injuries that seems to have taken away some of the physical side of his game and without that energy and speed he's not the same player. I could be wrong but I don't think he'll ever get that back he's going to take the same route as Wilshere or even Jones as an example more close to home at Utd.

I just think whatever happens the two best managers in world football won't be our next manager that currently is Pep and Klopp. Whoever comes is going to have to take on the top two on their own patch at clubs they are both settled in at the task is huge. Throw into that Conte & Tuchel who for me are both very good managers but they aren't wired for long term success, there's a reasonable chance neither is here next season.

Utd will be shopping looking for the next best thing and hoping to strike gold.

It won't cost a lot to get Ten Haag out of Ajax and I'm guessing his salary will be less than what Poch would ask for so over the contract he might be cheaper.

Ten Haag for me is a massive gamble way bigger than Poch.

Of the four on the reported shortlist for me the best candidate is Luis Enrique but I just don't think he'll walk from the Spain job and we can't afford to wait 6 months for him so you probably go to number 2 on that list which for me is Poch.

I'm not sure the club will ever win one of those competitions again unless we can put together something similar to what Liverpool did where you hire a top quality manager and basically nail every signing for 3 or 4 windows to build an almost perfect football team.
Sounds like it's got ten Hag's name written all over it.

Bring on the Erik!

Monaco 3-0 PSG.

I swear this lot lose every week in France yet they're still 12 points clear at the top with 9 games to go turns out they've only lost 4 league games all season.

Been some big protests from the "ultras" as well calling for changes right at the top of the club they feel the chairman should step down along with the sporting director Leonardo and we all know Poch is gone.

Every time I read about PSG it seems like the most toxic environment you could see in football!

Poch would do well to get out of there asap - hopefully not to us I might add.

I don't think any manager can really run that club it's pretty clear the players call the shots at that club and the second generation of signings have turned it into a shambles. When they first got the money they managed to attract players like Thiago Silva, Zlatan and Cavani top pro's who were incredibly hard working players but I think they also kept a lid on the dressing room. Since these players went and Neymar arrived it's really unsettled everything.

Neymar is clearly feeling the effects of age he can't dribble past 3 or 4 players anymore but they've just given him a bumper new deal which means they're pretty much stuck with him now.

It's all glitz and glamour at that club and you do wonder if after the world cup in Qatar how dedicated the owners of the club will be to keep pumping the money into it as they're spending fortunes and they aren't exactly getting a lot of good PR back in return as pretty much everyone hates them.

Poch like Emery and Tuchel before him will probably take him league title and move on to better things he needs to go into a club that is looking to rebuild and give a manager a bit of time and control.

I think the reality is... Poch is going to leave PSG at the end of the season and as a result he's going to walk in to the United job. He'd be available and it's widely reported he's on their shortlist so it's pretty inevitable.

I think the reality is... Poch is going to leave PSG at the end of the season and as a result he's going to walk in to the United job. He'd be available and it's widely reported he's on their shortlist so it's pretty inevitable.
I honestly don’t think we will give Poch the job. I’m basing this on nothing but I think Ten Hag is the front runner and would be very surprised if he isn’t the man in charge next season.

I honestly don’t think we will give Poch the job. I’m basing this on nothing but I think Ten Hag is the front runner and would be very surprised if he isn’t the man in charge next season.
I think Poch with us would be the same as Poch was with Spurs: also-rans if we're lucky. He will have a bigger transfer budget than he had at Spurs but he will not have enough for a complete rebuild, maybe 2 or 3 players per window, which keeps us mid-table but has us nowhere near challenging. Poch isn't a creative enough thinker to get a title-winning tune out of this team (plus 3 new boys). Ten Hag at least has a system in place that is recognizable and the types of players who fit into this system can be identified. With Poch, it would be more hoping for a Superman.

I think he's a tough one to judge as apart from PSG he's never been in the dominant club in his league with realistic chances of winning a league title. He's always been in charge of the under dog and maybe that suits him but PSG is a tough place to really build your reputation as you have very little control you are a cog in the machine rather than the designer and I don't think their squad really matches with the way Poch likes to play.

Obviously there's a black mark against his name last season not winning the title at PSG in his first season but PSG like Utd is a squad of players that hasn't been assembled with a clear vision of the team in mind. It just isn't a well built squad lots of big stars with big egos on big wages who don't seem willing to listen to a manager and the league doesn't provide them a big enough challenge.

Utd have had similar problems in recent seasons the squad hasn't been put together very well it has some serious weak areas where signings that were made haven't solved the problems so it's time to buy again hopefully with some better judgement.

At this point who really knows. It seems there is 4 in the running and one of them if Enrique who isn't available until after the WC. I think it'll be between Poch and Ten Hag and I do just think they will go Poch. But it's a coin toss I think bud.

Now officially a title winning manager having led them to their 10th domestic title.

Reports seem to be that he will leave the club with PSG's owners demanding a big review of how the club operates as they do not feel it's being run particularly well from top to bottom. I personally think after the Qatar world cup they'll be tightening the purse strings quite a bit at PSG.

There is an interesting rumour involving a potential manager swap with Conte coming in at PSG for next season and Poch returning to Spurs. Almost sounds to good to be true doesn't it?

Would personally love to see Conte try to handle Messi and Neymar basically doing whatever they want whenever they want it'll drive him mad.

The Athletic reporting he’s just about gone by mutual consent.

There were a few musings in the last few weeks that they might be after Mourinho but you got to say Zidane would surely be the hot favourite?

The Athletic reporting he’s just about gone by mutual consent.

There were a few musings in the last few weeks that they might be after Mourinho but you got to say Zidane would surely be the hot favourite?

Zidane was apparently waiting to see if the France job comes free after the World Cup but with Mbappe staying maybe he will give club management another crack.

What next for Poch? Guess you just sit tight and see what comes up none of the big jobs are available right now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back