Mauricio Pochettino at PSG

I think a mitigating factor was the demise of Arsenal and United. Fergie retiring in 12/13 opened up a top 4 spot which we didn't really reclaim until last season. You could argue that Spurs didn't get themselves into that spot until Poch got them third in 15/16, but that was the season Arsenal dropped off a cliff, plummeting to 5th, which has been their best finish since.

I think he did well to get Spurs into the top 4 and keep them there, until this season, but given the quality of that squad, I think he should've won something or legitimately challenged for the title.

I always maintain he had great XI not a great squad in his time at Spurs and maybe that’s the difference between him and Klopp who won a title without having a huge squad.

As we saw last season to beat City required almost perfection in 3 of the seasons he was manager the league winner got over 90 points which wasn’t that common until fairly recently.

I can't see how you back Poch for finishing second but not Ole. When out of the two, Ole's is a better achievement.

Well one has been manager for 6 months and the other has been manager for 2.5 years is where I’d probably start if I was trying to make that point but as I said in posts Poch needed to prove himself at PSG next season by winning the league in his first full season.

He’d also need to put his mark on the team in European games so they aren’t just a defensive counter attack side which is how they played this season vs Bayern and City.

Moving back would be odd maybe Kane has said he’d stay if Poch comes back, ha!

If we are counting anything Poch does in France with that PSG side as an achievement then Ole's Norwegian record counts.

If we are counting anything Poch does in France with that PSG side as an achievement then Ole's Norwegian record counts.

Where does the Norwegian league rank on uefa coefficient again? I’d be guessing that the French league is 5th but I’d be surprised in the Norwegian league is top 10.

I never bring up Ole getting relegated from the prem with Cardiff by the way as that club was a car crash when he took over.

The post wasn’t about igniting this debate again it was highlighting that it looks like he might be on his way back to Spurs.

Might work well for PSG if they can get Zidane maybe Mbappé stays and maybe they might chuck in a big offer for Pogba? Who knows.

One came second in league they have dominated for years, and has Neymar and Mbappe. The other came second in a much stronger league where they have only finished in the top 2 twice in 8 years or whatever it is, and has Martial and a player PSG deemed not good enough.

Can we just stop this pointless comparison because until Ole either wins a league at PSG or Spurs it’s just going round the same old circles isn’t it? Same goes for Poch getting a crack at Utd if that ever happens he needs to do better than what Ole has done to date.

It sounds like he’s going back to Spurs which to me sounds like a backwards step but maybe he feels at PSG his methods won’t work as the players are calling all the shots or maybe he just likes living in London who knows

I don't understand your point though

You have said Poch deserves another season, but Ole doesn't. I don't get how you can have those two views. How one deems to be a potential winner, but the other not. When there is a fairly strong argument to say Ole's achievements this season are better.

I don't understand your point though

You have said Poch deserves another season, but Ole doesn't. I don't get how you can have those two views. How one deems to be a potential winner, but the other not. When there is a fairly strong argument to say Ole's achievements this season are better.

Basically I’m fuming today and nursing a hangover which I’m probably blaming Ole for.

I think Poch deserves a full season to show what he can do at PSG unlike others I think he’s been a good manager at Southampton and Spurs but he needed to show that at PSG.

There’s clearly problems at PSG they sacked their manager mid season to then bring in Poch they lost two big players last summer in Tiago Silva and Cavani, the two superstars are both negotiating new deals and Icardi hasn’t worked out. There was quite a lot to sort out in 6 months for Poch and it seems like the guy who was sacked was actually pretty popular with the squad.

Ole has coached our lot for years now and we still can’t defend from corners or free kicks and it does myhead in because it’s one of the basic things to coach in football.

Basically I’m fuming today and nursing a hangover which I’m probably blaming Ole for.

I feel ya. This morning is a struggle. And I'm directing my anger at the irritating Ole out, Poch is a hero crowd. Doesn't help that my best friends are all Spurs fans / Poch loving idiots.

I feel ya. This morning is a struggle. And I'm directing my anger at the irritating Ole out, Poch is a hero crowd. Doesn't help that my best friends are all Spurs fans / Poch loving idiots.

Tough day for you I made it clear to my boss yesterday I’m working from home today and have no intention of actually doing any work this morning. Taken a very flexible approach to work this week to leave today clear as last night was my first night out in ages.

haha, I only had 3 small beers, still, 3 more than I should.

I don't think either are poor managers, I think Ole does need to iron a few things. Our set pieces for attacking and defending are bad. I never think we're going to score from a corner/free kick. And I always feel like we will concede. Maybe he spends all the defensive coaching time trying to sort out the basics because they seem a problem at the moment. Did Bailly go off with an Injury? I hope the Varane rumours are true.

Poch, he needs to hang in there, going back to Spurs will be a mistake, but I don't see Levy paying out.

Ole, has done more than enough to get next season wthout a cloud hanging over him. A Solid 7/10. I don't think he should be judged on what he hasn't won in the past. The club has made huge strides on and off the pitch with him. But next season he needs a trophy.

I can see why Spurs would want him back, but if he actually goes back, he's a coward. Stay at a club with expectations of winning and the resources to accomplish it, and actually win something. Don't go back to Spurs and the safety of 5th and a good cup run that falls short.

To be fair I think Oles achievements in Norway should count. Whether you believe he is right for United or not he can only win the league he is coaching in. As far as I know he did not go into a club with pots of money and took them to two titles, their first in a century of years.

I think Poch deserves a full season to show what he can do at PSG unlike others I think he’s been a good manager at Southampton and Spurs but he needed to show that at PSG.

There’s clearly problems at PSG they sacked their manager mid season to then bring in Poch they lost two big players last summer in Tiago Silva and Cavani, the two superstars are both negotiating new deals and Icardi hasn’t worked out. There was quite a lot to sort out in 6 months for Poch and it seems like the guy who was sacked was actually pretty popular with the squad.

Ole has coached our lot for years now and we still can’t defend from corners or free kicks and it does myhead in because it’s one of the basic things to coach in football.
Totally agree. I'm suffering from the Mother of all hangovers

On Poch the last manager who came in mid season at PSG was Ancelotti he took over with the team in 1st and ended up finishing 2nd.

Ancelotti is the one of the best managers of the last 20 years so winning the title at PSG isn't a complete given.

It would be crazy for Poch to leave now, unless something bad has happened behind the scenes.

He needs to do a full season and show what he can do.

On Poch the last manager who came in mid season at PSG was Ancelotti he took over with the team in 1st and ended up finishing 2nd.

Ancelotti is the one of the best managers of the last 20 years so winning the title at PSG isn't a complete given.

Come on. That was 10 years ago. When Ancelotti took over they hadn't won a title in 18 years. They're not comparable in any way shape or form. They've won the title every year since at a canter bar one. Hardly the same side then they are now and they took that teams best player the following season. It was a fantastic side that managed it in Monaco with Mbappe, Silva, Fabinho, Mendy, Lemar.

Unlike this Lille side who've just taken the title from them.

As I said people are putting up same strange defences for Poch and that's what irritates me about him. It's clear it was an awful season for him in league terms but his supporters can't say it.

Didn't they lose to title to Montpellier though by a couple of points when they'd signed Zlatan, Cavani and Thiago Silva?

Think Lille have just nailed it this season got a good side together had a few good signings come off for them and they didn't lose players last summer probably because of the pandemic. They're going to lose 3 or 4 players from that side this summer which will make PSG's job much easier next season as Lyon will probably lose a few of theirs as well.

He will be dissapointed to not win the league and probably see it as a failure but it's not a total disaster given the circumstances around the season.

it's definitely a failure, that league is pretty much a nailed on sure thing for PSG.

He's asked to leave.

If to go back to Spurs his ambition needs to be seriously questioned. The other club there is talk of is Madrid.

Yeah let's get the guy who failed to win the French league with PSG to take us to the title. When's your next stand up gig? Keep em coming.

What makes you say that dog? Poch has underperformed for spurs and PSG. I imagine psg are laughing he's asked to leave. It will save them a few Bob in six months time

What makes you say that dog? Poch has underperformed for spurs and PSG. I imagine psg are laughing he's asked to leave. It will save them a few Bob in six months time
Come on Mr C.

He didn't underperform at Spurs; he produced the best Spurs side I've seen.

He's had less than a full season at PSG. The same way we couldn't judge Ole after his first half season, we can't judge Poch after half a season at PSG.

Come on Mr C.

He didn't underperform at Spurs; he produced the best Spurs side I've seen.

He's had less than a full season at PSG. The same way we couldn't judge Ole after his first half season, we can't judge Poch after half a season at PSG.
And no, I'm not advocating replacing Ole with Poch.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back