Mason Greenwood | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

I don't think a few years on the wings will hurt Mason still got plenty of physical development to do at 20 years old.

One of the stories behind him not going with England is Utd have been doing a lot of heavy conditioning work with him during international breaks designed to make him stronger and add the muscle he needs to his frame without losing his speed.

This also comes with a bit of rest which they feel is essential for someone so young as he will play a lot of games this season.

For me to be a top centre forward he needs to learn how to score the cheap goals the tap ins and headers in the box that all add up during the season but the top strikers all know how to get them and that's the bit he's got to sharpen up on before going back into the centre.

Equally you look at a player like Salah and think maybe the wing is the best place for Greenwood that ability to go both ways and change direction so quickly makes him almost unplayable as by playing wide you get the chance to start with a bit of space.

I don't think a few years on the wings will hurt Mason still got plenty of physical development to do at 20 years old.

One of the stories behind him not going with England is Utd have been doing a lot of heavy conditioning work with him during international breaks designed to make him stronger and add the muscle he needs to his frame without losing his speed.

This also comes with a bit of rest which they feel is essential for someone so young as he will play a lot of games this season.

For me to be a top centre forward he needs to learn how to score the cheap goals the tap ins and headers in the box that all add up during the season but the top strikers all know how to get them and that's the bit he's got to sharpen up on before going back into the centre.

Equally you look at a player like Salah and think maybe the wing is the best place for Greenwood that ability to go both ways and change direction so quickly makes him almost unplayable as by playing wide you get the chance to start with a bit of space.
If that's the case re him.not being in the England squad, so he is given the time to go thru the training regime u mention, then City must be fuming at Phoden's selection

If that's the case re him.not being in the England squad, so he is given the time to go thru the training regime u mention, then City must be fuming at Phoden's selection

Guess it depends on what Foden is doing as he’s not played much for City this season so maybe they feel heneeds some playing time whereas Greenwood has played in pretty much every game for us.

Southgate seems to be trying to work with the clubs to avoid overloading players especially the young ones.

This plan could pay off big time in 12 months when the World Cup comes.

Guess it depends on what Foden is doing as he’s not played much for City this season so maybe they feel heneeds some playing time whereas Greenwood has played in pretty much every game for us.

Southgate seems to be trying to work with the clubs to avoid overloading players especially the young ones.

This plan could pay off big time in 12 months when the World Cup comes.
Being Scottish, I certainly hope not!

Premier League: Leicester City v Manchester United - 16th October 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A real highlight of a drab day. I say it every week but he’s going to be something very special.

On the stream I watched the chat was calling him greedy. Personally I thought every shot he took was justified.

Yeah he was greedy in a good way took the shots when he needed to take them and with his quality he will be annoyed he didn’t hit the target more often.

Being Scottish, I certainly hope
Yeah he was greedy in a good way took the shots when he needed to take them and with his quality he will be annoyed he didn’t hit the target more often.
A quick 1 on this point, Phoden(sic) is an exceptional player, as is Greenwood. Foden's role for his club and country has been discovered. That's yet to happen for Greenwood, but there's no surer bet than both their clubs will never let them go!

A quick 1 on this point, Phoden(sic) is an exceptional player, as is Greenwood. Foden's role for his club and country has been discovered. That's yet to happen for Greenwood, but there's no surer bet than both their clubs will never let them go!

Yeah England are blessed with talent I really like Saka at Arsenal too. Can't say I'm that hyped about Grealish spends to much time looking for free kicks needs to stay on his feet more when he dribbles.

Greenwood I think will go to the World Cup I reckon he'll be back in the next squad in November seems like the club have asked for him to be held back a bit as they don't even bother calling him up to the U21's anymore. Think they just want to make sure he's not burned out physically by playing to much football as he's starting pretty much every week now.

Yeah England are blessed with talent I really like Saka at Arsenal too. Can't say I'm that hyped about Grealish spends to much time looking for free kicks needs to stay on his feet more when he dribbles.

Greenwood I think will go to the World Cup I reckon he'll be back in the next squad in November seems like the club have asked for him to be held back a bit as they don't even bother calling him up to the U21's anymore. Think they just want to make sure he's not burned out physically by playing to much football as he's starting pretty much every week now.
Interesting point. I'm not aware of what's happening re Int football, nothing to do with being Scottish, just never found it very exciting to watch.
At the moment I think both Greenwood and OGS are not aware of where he should be playing?
The explanation is pretty simple
Where should anyone be playing since CR signed?
Not a fault or misdemeanor on anyone's part, far from it, but it really must leave players, playing up front, thinking, feck,how do I play alongside him?
At the same time how can our defense be in such a dreadful condition? Jeezus, we just signed Varane, one of the best there is???

Interesting point. I'm not aware of what's happening re Int football, nothing to do with being Scottish, just never found it very exciting to watch.
At the moment I think both Greenwood and OGS are not aware of where he should be playing?
The explanation is pretty simple
Where should anyone be playing since CR signed?
Not a fault or misdemeanor on anyone's part, far from it, but it really must leave players, playing up front, thinking, feck,how do I play alongside him?
At the same time how can our defense be in such a dreadful condition? Jeezus, we just signed Varane, one of the best there is???

Personally I think Greenwood could go on to be world class in that right forward slot bit like Salah has become with Liverpool just a ruthless scoring machine the wide positions give him the space he needs to work the angles and being two footed makes him lethal. At centre forward I just don't think he's got that predator instinct that the centre forward needs to have the 6 yard box tap ins and headed goals you see the top strikers really getting I never see from Greenwood.

There was something reported around the last 2 windows as everyone was surprised that he wasn't called up Southgate suggested he'd been speaking with Solskjaer and they agreed it was best for him to have these breaks. I wondered if he's maybe doing a lot of gym work building his body up he's still only 21 so they might still be managing his development.

He's a starter at Utd now that means midweek and weekend games so maybe they just think take care of him a bit while he's still young not like the national team is in desperate need of his talents at the moment.

For club I think the arrival of Ronaldo will obviously limit his chances of being the centre forward this season but I'm not to worried about that. What I think he is starting to add to his game is more creativity he can be a bit head down and try to shoot now he's looking to cross the ball and create chances for a team mate to score. When he finds space now it nearly always ends in a chance either from his shot or a cross going in the lad is a serious talent.

A real highlight of a drab day. I say it every week but he’s going to be something very special.
Totally agree and believe he already is. He's proven himself already just what he's capable of in the EPL.
Just hoping he's not overused. He is very young and able to learn a lot from the bench some games.
Imagine having a wee striker like him coming on as an impact player sometimes. Fantastic!

I think with Greenwood he may actually be held back a little the next year or two. Only because he's probably not going to play a lot of games through the middle and out wide with Ronaldo in the middle he'll need to create more for Ronaldo. I think in some ways that'll stunt his development a little. But then training with a player like Ronaldo will help too.

I think with Greenwood he may actually be held back a little the next year or two. Only because he's probably not going to play a lot of games through the middle and out wide with Ronaldo in the middle he'll need to create more for Ronaldo. I think in some ways that'll stunt his development a little. But then training with a player like Ronaldo will help too.
I’m not sure to be honest. I think he’s on the same trajectory as Van Persie. He’s learning his trade on the right with the occasional game through the middle. He’ll eventually be our number 9 but think it’s doing him no harm being on the right for a while. Also like you say training with Ronaldo and Cavani everyday is going to him wonders - the same can be said for the likes of Rashford and Sancho as well.

I’m not sure to be honest. I think he’s on the same trajectory as Van Persie. He’s learning his trade on the right with the occasional game through the middle. He’ll eventually be our number 9 but think it’s doing him no harm being on the right for a while. Also like you say training with Ronaldo and Cavani everyday is going to him wonders - the same can be said for the likes of Rashford and Sancho as well.
You used the term 'is going to'
Therefore youre meaning in the future
What about the here and now?

Apparently he asked not to be considered for international games until next year wants to focus fully on club football.

He met Southgate to discuss this after the euros.

Apparently he asked not to be considered for international games until next year wants to focus fully on club football.

He met Southgate to discuss this after the euros.
Where would United be this season if Rashford had gotten his surgery instead of going to the Euros? I'm all for players going to their national teams except when they are overused and come back injured.

Where would United be this season if Rashford had gotten his surgery instead of going to the Euros? I'm all for players going to their national teams except when they are overused and come back injured.

To be honest Rashford should have gone for his surgery and missed the end of our season playing on injured helped no one.

He was basically useless for Utd and England in the second half of the season for me he should have got the surgery done then tried to be fully fit for the euros and the start of this season.

I'm sure international managers get pretty fed up with clubs not giving the players any rest then calling on the international manager to leave them out.

That said on form alone Maguire and Shaw should both have been dropped by Southgate.

Needs to stop watching the Michael Barnes videos and go back to basics - in the Academy he was predominately right-footed but could do wonderous things with his left, now he seems so reluctant to use his right-foot.

Premier League: Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester United - 14th January 2022

He was selfish at times.

Forget Ronaldo. Forget Cavani. This guy should be leading the line for United.

Premier League: Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester United - 14th January 2022

He was selfish at times.

Forget Ronaldo. Forget Cavani. This guy should be leading the line for United.
Agreed. He has sensational ability and he’ll only get better. We should be building the front line around him, not shunting him out to the right.

I think he's one of the ones Ronaldo was getting at, maybe he has a bit of an attitude problem.

I read a few reports about greenwood and Ronaldo before Christmas

There was one maybe two times yesterday where he could have looked to square the ball rather than shoot but he’s been working under a manager who has trained him to shoot on sight. I think the next level for him is learning when to pass he doesn’t need to go for goal every time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quiet night but glad he got a goal needed one.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back