Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Has somebody taken over your body rich. I sort of agree though, i was never really the fellaini hater that some are but i do believe that when he plays regularly it dictates the way we play. I think the time is right to move on.

Haha I know right... It's kind of creeping me out a little that I've actually defended Fellaini!

Europa League: Ajax 0-2 Manchester United - 24th May 2017

Marouane Fellaini the man of the match for Manchester United in an European final.

Absolutely deserved it. He was excellent. Won almost everything in the air. Also won us possession back quite a few times.

I clearly don't rate him and that has to tinge what I see. I thought he was clumsy and only use as a Target to hit with hopeful long balls. He did win a lot in the air but from what I saw his passing was still laboured and conservative, he's still too slow for United and lastly he's not actually all that good at heading. I must only pick up his bad points as everyone is raving about him. I didn't see it.

All week I've been thinking that tonight will be the night he goes from zero to cult hero. A Leeds supporting mate had him down as first goalscorer with the bookies and I told him that. When he got that yellow, I worried though and would have replaced him with Carrick soon after but it wasn't needed. Probably saved himself tonight. With only 4 (senior) midfielders at the club and Carrick aging, I can't see anyone from midfield leaving.

Fellaini played really well, and our tactic was to keep the ball off the ground. But I don't like the way we play when Fellaini is in the side.

I honestly feel like I watched a different game. He was good for about a 15 minute spell. The first half we just lobbed in long and whilst he got his head to everything it wasn't going in any direction towards a player and came straight back to us. I'm not saying he was poor he had a decent game just that he wasn't great.

There is no way he was better than Pogba and deserved motm ahead of him.

I'm seriously confused. I've read two sources, three different opinions. First source here, Fellaini MotM and a great display. Second BBC ratings, he got a 6 and a bit of a meh write up, although somehow credited for an assist for Mkhitarayan? Pogba MotM. The third BBC match review, with an 'official' MotM, now who do you suppose that was?

Ander Herrera that's who! So I feel more vindicated in my view of Marouane last night as little to no difference from his normal game.

The telegraph gave MOTM to Valencia as did the Independant.
The Mirror gave it to Pogba
MEN to Herrera
Daily Mail gave it to Blind
The Peoples Person to Darmian

I think that shows a number of our players put in decent performances and could have been chosen just a shame its 3 of the back 4 and our CM's.

However it's worth noticing that all of them gave Fellaini a performance rating of 7.

Fellaini gets a lot of stick even when he plays well seemingly. But last night he was terrific, he wasn't flashy because that's not his style but he was combative, provided an option in the air as always and even showed some neat skills to retain the ball. Definitely one of his best performances in a United shirt. I'm nowhere near his biggest fan but credit where it's due, just behind Pogba and Herrera in terms of man of the match.

I think it's a case of really not liking the football we play with him in the side. It's like when England used to play Crouch it was effective enough but the lumping it long to the big man up top isn't a tactic any top side should be using.

To be honest last night wasn't about playing great football it was about winning. A means to an end. The style of play isn't fellainis fault and he played well within his limitations. I would like to see him cut a bit of slack today

I don't see where he hasn't been given any slack to be honest. I said he had a decent game and that he wasn't poor I just don't agree with the whole he was motm thing. Valencia Darmian Herrera Pogba are all valid shouts for motm.

Now if I don't think he's motm i'm criticising him?

I would have given it to Pogba he provided the goal and generally the quality in midfield he was the only player I felt prepared and capable of taking the ball under pressure.

We played to Fellaini's strengths and it got the best out of him vs a team that obviously couldn't handle him BUT I just hate watching us do it. As while he does his job and wins the long ball, the second ball isn't picked up enough normally because we don't get anyone close to him and some of the balls aimed at him are shocking, sailing over his head rather than hitting his chest.

I didn't have him down as a MOTM candidate but then I don't think there was an obvious stand out player on the night apart from Mhiki I think everyone did a brilliant job of playing to the game plan Mourinho clearly set out to win the game.

He wasn't actually motm by the way. Herrera was the official UEFA motm

I don't think there are too many of us that have said he was motm. All i have said is he played well within his limitations. In a game where the only objective was to win he played a more than decent part in that. We won the game so lets just give the whole team a pat on the back and move on. Hopefully we can now move on to bigger and better and fellaini leaving will probably be part of that improvement.

I think my biggest gripe with Fellaini is he allows us to play a certain way which is horrible to watch and I think as a club Utd should strive for better than that.

He is very good at what he does but he stops so much else from happening because we can never get a passing game going with him in the side as that's not his strength.

I didn't really see him as a stand out player in the final but that's because I think everyone did their jobs apart from Mata/Mhiki who I thought were both really poor but everyone else did a great job.

I hope we can see him off the back of some good performances and move on because as long as Mourinho has this weapon in his arsenal he will continue to use it which isn't going to make us enjoyable to watch.

I think my biggest gripe with Fellaini is he allows us to play a certain way which is horrible to watch and I think as a club Utd should strive for better than that.

This is also my biggest gripe and is the reason I still want us to move him on this summer. It's not because he's been bad this year because he really hasn't. But he's played well and done the role that was asked of him and really we can't ask for more than that.

He was key to how we played in the final even though it wasn't exactly pretty at times. So he can leave us on a high note having really played a key role in what is being considered a pretty successful season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back