Marcus Rashford | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Thought he was ok for an hour but totally faded away towards the end.

2 big chances fell his way.

The 1 vs 1 he has to score and with VAR he probably gets the goal even if the flag went up after he shot, second one was a tough one at the back post not sure there was much he could do with that.

That lad desperately needs a goal

The lad needs a move, think he'd be a super-star at somewhere like Everton, or Leeds.

Premier League: Southampton 0-1 Manchester United - 27th August 2022

Pretty poor. I forgot he was on the pitch.

Anonymous. Didn't realise he was playing until about 20 minutes in. Was he upfront? Wasn't sure what he was doing.

He just isn’t a centre forward he can’t play back to goal and doesn’t battle for anything against the centre backs hes so easy to mark.

When he went he just disappeared but aside from the goal Utd we’re awful second half.

Scholes, Rio and ETH praising his performance off the ball.

Made the crucial run to open up space for the goal, but nothing else of note.

Scholes, Rio and ETH praising his performance off the ball.

Think the praise was the movement for the goal which was very good but all round I thought he was poor.

Very hard to comment on off the ball movement watching on TV as you can’t always see the runs strikers make.

Utd as a whole just weren’t sharp as an attacking unit today but I’d still say they created the better chances in the game

Leicester 0-1 Man Utd

Don't let an assist fool you he was really poor last night everything that went up to him bounced off him, he doesn't challenge for the ball against centre backs when it's kicked long. He just doesn't scrap for 50/50's he hasn't got that aggression in him and he just isn't a centre forward.

He was better when he went wide but with the arrival of Anthony if that lad finds for Rashford will find himself on the bench quickly as Sancho looks the better option on the left.

The work rate is better but it's still not quite where I think it needs to be.

This is a puzzling one. He was carrying us singlehandedly until he got bit by the injury bug and tried playing through them, and his form fell off a cliff and has never recovered. I don't know if he is back to 100% physically (which I'd suspect he should be), but he's clearly not back mentally or emotionally. It's like Charles Barkley after the Monstars took all his talent.

This is a puzzling one. He was carrying us singlehandedly until he got bit by the injury bug and tried playing through them, and his form fell off a cliff and has never recovered. I don't know if he is back to 100% physically (which I'd suspect he should be), but he's clearly not back mentally or emotionally. It's like Charles Barkley after the Monstars took all his talent.

Love the spacejam reference

I just wonder if the injuries took away a bit of the fearlessness he now knows he can be hurt so he doesn’t take the risks he took as a teenager. In his position you have to be willing to get hurt and right now I think he’s got the fear of getting hurt as he’s taken so many hits for the team.

I just feel his game is now suited to be a wide player he will be a frustrating player but I think there’s a solid squad player there

I know it's not easy to build yourself up from nothing, break on the scene and go from strength to strength and then suddenly have everything go off the rails. He's struggling to get himself out of this moment, but then he goes and scores 3 against the two toughest opponents we've played so far.

He's such an easy guy to root for, and he's one of our own so hopefully this kicks him into gear again.

He's got two goals and two assist in the last 2 games. If this is him playing badly I'll take it.

His confidence has got to be built up and I think it will the more he scores and assists. Still think he’s a vital player for us going forward.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Miles better when he went to the wing he just isn’t a centre forward but he’s looking more like his old self and that is a great thing.

Few better players at timing that run in behind and finishing one vs one.

He had the assist in the first half but was otherwise anonymous and not even pressing quick enough. His confidence seemed to start growing after his first goal and then after the second it looked like we saw glimpses of the old Rashford. I hope this is the start of him believing in himself again.

Think you can see he's enjoying it a lot more than he was last season that goal vs Liverpool must have been a huge weight off of him.

Playing from that left side there are few players in world football as good as him as timing the run to beat the offside trap and generally speaking his one vs one finishing has always been pretty good in those circumstances.

Premier League: Manchester City 6-3 Manchester United - 2nd October 2022

Another performance where he demonstrated that he isn’t a centre forward/striker. His inability to retain the ball/hold possession massively lets him down.

Not a centre forward just hasn’t got the skills required.

He‘s a winger who can only play on the counter attack.

Premier League: Manchester City 6-3 Manchester United - 2nd October 2022

Another performance where he demonstrated that he isn’t a centre forward/striker. His inability to retain the ball/hold possession massively lets him down.
Indeed but we cannot defend the lack of effort, which unfortunately was mirrored by Sancho.

Yes the lack of press and effort is just pure laziness I cannot believe EtH doesn't go berserk at these lazy effers

EtH will be pleased with his reaction after Sunday. Looked like vintage Rashford.

If he keeps this form up in a few more weeks he'll be able to start bashing the tories again.

Finally starting to see the real Rashford back. He has that little bit of a swagger back and seems to be more confident on the ball. Granted his finishing last night was not great but it’s great to see a confident Rashford.

He has timed this form just right for his WC chances as well.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back