Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

Match discussion thread for the best left back in the land.

Another solid performance yesterday - which is just a given these days. He has come on such leap and bounds.

2019/20 Luke Shaw is back.

He’s been stinking it up game after game.

Apart from the cross for the winner, which was quality, can't deny that, he was piss poor again yesterday, think the undeserved acclaim is getting to him. Needs to buck his ideas up.

Not sure if he's playing injured but looks a bit short of his usual top speed and has lost that laser focus he seemed to develop last season.

Last night was not his worst game but we aren't seeing anywhere near his best stuff so far this season.

The lad has got Mourinho's old comments rattling around in his head again, either that or he's been found out again, whichever it is he's gone to pieces, maybe time to take him out of the side and give Alex Telles a run of games whilst he gets his head sorted. It may take some time.

The lad has got Mourinho's old comments rattling around in his head again, either that or he's been found out again, whichever it is he's gone to pieces, maybe time to take him out of the side and give Alex Telles a run of games whilst he gets his head sorted. It may take some time.
Or maybe it's just well past your bedtime again
Been taking your meds?

Think he needs a break to be honest but we aren’t going to put Telles in.

Same with Maguire not sure if it’s a Euros hangover or something but neither have ever performed this badly for so long in a Utd shirt.

Let’s hope a full weeks rest might do them some good.

Shaw looks like he's trying to play through an injury. The way he moves, he's really stiff, looks like some form of back injury/muscle pull. He looks like he's lost a lot of flexibility, just looks rigid, and he's lost a yard of pace. Still, I'd play him over Telles.

Keep torturing myself and watching the Liverpool goals again and you could say Shaw was at fault, or partially at fault for all of them.

And I don't think he's carrying an injury, he doesn't seem the type who would play if he had one, not saying he's a Louis Saha mind, but he just needs to buck his ideas up and sharpish, or he'll be losing his starting place for United and England that's he's worked so hard to get.

Having Rashford back should help because he seems to struggle, and it seems to be a strange thing to say about a guy that's nearly played a decade at the top level, when he receives the ball and looks up and it's not obvious what he should do next.

Played at the euros with damaged ribs.

I think the old Shaw was certainly one who in the past wouldn't want to risk any sort of injury but seems to have grown out of that now.

Not sure what it is with him he just looks burned out to me needs a break but just don't really see one coming for him as he's not going to put Telles in for the next 3 games is he and give Shaw a chance to get his body/head back where it needs to be.

Whole defence with De Gea are poor, and do not communicate with each other which is fundamental to a well functioning defence.

Agree with that, but sometimes you hope on an individual level common sense kicks in, Mr Bean blindfolded would have done a better job than Shaw for the 2nd goal which effectively killed the game as a contest. Put your bloody boot through it if you're not sure.

Agree with that, but sometimes you hope on an individual level common sense kicks in, Mr Bean blindfolded would have done a better job than Shaw for the 2nd goal which effectively killed the game as a contest. Put your bloody boot through it if you're not sure.
It was then compounded by De Gea cushion it delicately into the goal with his chest. I have no doubt in my mind that despite Oles coaching inabilities he has also been badly let down by some of his players too.

It was then compounded by De Gea cushion it delicately into the goal with his chest. I have no doubt in my mind that despite Oles coaching inabilities he has also been badly let down by some of his players too.

It was a great finish by De Gea, RvN or Gerd Muller would have been proud of that.

Can’t play in front of crowds.

Had this theory about players who suddenly looked a million dollars during lockdown all the lads who look great in training suddenly looking the part on match day.

I think he's getting back near his best which is positive that little spell on the sidelines due to injury/form seems to have sorted him out.

Lets hope Maguire can follow suit and get his head out of his backside and find some form.

I don’t think he’s back to his worst but he’s certainly not the player we saw last season.

physical fitness is now spot on but mentally he switches off and it costs goals.

Today was really poor on the goal

I don’t think he’s back to his worst but he’s certainly not the player we saw last season.

physical fitness is now spot on but mentally he switches off and it costs goals.

Today was really poor on the goal

You sure bout that, he started one match(can't remember which, but i'm sure I wasn't the only person who picked up on it) around the time of your post with his socks already rolled down and he looked gassed after 10 minutes, though I appreciate the socks down may well have been a new superstition after Telles had been preferred to him in previous games.

You sure bout that, he started one match(can't remember which, but i'm sure I wasn't the only person who picked up on it) around the time of your post with his socks already rolled down and he looked gassed after 10 minutes, though I appreciate the socks down may well have been a new superstition after Telles had been preferred to him in previous games.

I think he does struggle in the last 20 minutes of games to keep those forward runs going would be handy if Utd also attacked down the right side a bit more or kept the ball a bit better so he wasn't chasing back so much.

It was more that he's now fit to play most games whereas for years he'd miss most of the season with niggling injuries after the leg break and even before it.

The little run in the side for Telles at the start of the Rangnick era seems to have given him a bit of a kick up the arse and he's improved recently but he can still get caught napping and I think teams play on that.

The partnership between him and Maguire seems to be a weak point in that defence that teams look to attack.

Shaw’s form is a sine wave. Last August he was the best in the league, lately he’s been a disaster. Read that he’s 26, he should have a few more years at the top, but he plays like he’s already over 30. He’s been such a difficult player to figure out, whether Jose was right (probably not), or if it was a confidence issue after that horrific leg break, lack of effort, who knows. He’s another player of ours who can be sublime one week to abject the next. Lately he’s been reluctant to make overlap runs, and is that Shaw’s choice or managerial instructions? No clue. Love him when he’s in the mood, but can’t figure out what it takes to get him firing on all cylinders every week.

Shaw’s form is a sine wave. Last August he was the best in the league, lately he’s been a disaster. Read that he’s 26, he should have a few more years at the top, but he plays like he’s already over 30. He’s been such a difficult player to figure out, whether Jose was right (probably not), or if it was a confidence issue after that horrific leg break, lack of effort, who knows. He’s another player of ours who can be sublime one week to abject the next. Lately he’s been reluctant to make overlap runs, and is that Shaw’s choice or managerial instructions? No clue. Love him when he’s in the mood, but can’t figure out what it takes to get him firing on all cylinders every week.

For me the leg break excuse no longer washes he is well past that now it happened in 2014! I don't think it's ever been a lack of effort certainly not the last few years where off the field he seems to be a lot quieter. When he first came he was a kid living in the city centre with his mates he's now settled down living with his girlfriend and kid out in the sticks and I do think that is showing results in terms of his fitness.

I do think Jose was right to some degree he like quite a few players in this side do switch off and day dream or ball watch they don't have that razor sharp focus for every second of the game that the very top players have. So much of football at the very top level is who can make the correct decision and who can make that correct decision quicker than other people.

The big decision comes soon with Shaw because he'll be on very good money at Utd having come in on £100k a week then getting 1 or 2 contract renewals. He's due a new deal but what should Utd be offering a player like him? He's probably already one of the best paid full backs in the league.

He's certainly a full back who'd benefit from having to do a lot less defending the Utd defenders need to do a lot less defending hopefully the new manager will give us much better control of matches.

I think he does struggle in the last 20 minutes of games to keep those forward runs going would be handy if Utd also attacked down the right side a bit more or kept the ball a bit better so he wasn't chasing back so much.

It was more that he's now fit to play most games whereas for years he'd miss most of the season with niggling injuries after the leg break and even before it.

The little run in the side for Telles at the start of the Rangnick era seems to have given him a bit of a kick up the arse and he's improved recently but he can still get caught napping and I think teams play on that.

The partnership between him and Maguire seems to be a weak point in that defence that teams look to attack.

He struggles in the first 20 minutes of games never mind the last 20 minutes of games, how he's lasted so long at Old Trafford will forever remain a mystery.

See he made a silly comment after the game with England.

Sometimes these lads don't really help themselves he's been playing poorly for us this season and he's not really had it hard off the fans compared to some players.

I do think you can see by the comments being made when they've gone away just how bad the environment has been at the club this season.

I want to add, it can't all be on Ralf, I think these players are flakey.

I didn't see the game I heard he scored but he was also sort of to blame for their goal which sounds like a very Luke Shaw type of game some good stuff and some bad stuff.

Not going to slam him for speaking out the whole interview wasn't as bad as the snippet that went round online made out but you aren't making your life easier when you say these sort of things.

Think Shaw might just need a change been at the club 8 years he's struggled to deliver consistently and maybe needs a few start like quite a few players.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back