Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been excellant for the last few months really seems to have kicked on to another level this is by far the best run of form he's had.

His defending and positioning is much improved and going forward he is now a real threat so whatever has caused it happy days lets hope he can sustain this.
I think the signing of Telles has given him a push and I think Ole’s style of coaching has probably helped elevate him to. Jose must have destroyed his confidence and that’s not an easy thing to get back.

Long may it continue, an absolute shoe in for the next England squad and he should be a starter on this form. Still only 25 as well, so if this is the form he continues to show then the left back spot is nailed down for years to come.

You have to credit everyone involved he looks much fitter, he looks more focused, he looks to have improved his technique.

Could be he struggles to focus in front of the crowd playing in empty stadiums might take the pressure off him.

Who knows what it is but lets hope it continues.

It's just about sustaining it over a long period now that is what the top players do so Shaw has set himself a standard now as a benchmark he needs to stay at this standard season after season.

4 assist in his last 3 games. That's the same amount as he had in 2016-2020

6 on the season now.

I'd given up on the guy but whatever has happened to him this season just keep it up.

Is it the pressure from Telles or the lack of pressure from full stadiums? Whatever is going on this lad is having a blinding season every part of his game has gone up a level. He looks fitter, he's better positioned, his defending is better and going forward he's putting in good crosses.

I enjoyed seeing him give Maguire and Lindelof a telling off yesterday too. Come over cleared his lines then turned round and screamed at them 'for f*cks sake come on'

Yeah Lindelof made a really poor effort to block a cross from the right which went all the way across the box and he had to kick it out for a corner.

He just seems a totally different person this season looks "harder" if that makes sense he's not a boy anymore he's now a man and he backs himself in a fight like he's toughened up and lost his fear. His progress looks more mental than physical.

Probably motm again today. What a turn around to his career and it's great to see him living up to his potential. I'm sure all of us had given up on him at one point of other.

He's having a great season. Long may it continue.

Not good enough for England though. If I were Gareth, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere. Do you hear me Gareth?

Brilliant performance and a wonderfully taken goal. Turning into a world class left back.

Slightly off topic but was thinking yesterday if Henderson has a great end to the season then 4 of our back 5 could be the England first choice. Shaw a cert I would say now along with Maguire. Then possibly AWB with TAA having so many troubles.

Think AWB is well down the list of right backs for England right now. Walker, Trippier, TAA, James all seem to be ahead of him at the moment but Shaw must be nailed on not only for a spot but also a starting spot.

He was excellant against yesterday proving so many including myself wrong this season just looks a totally different player so much more focused and alert and just looks a step quicker than he's ever looked and stronger he's pushing people around now not the other way around.

The nice boy mentality seems to be gone and he's now got a bit of edge to him which I think is helping him.

My only worry is can he be like this when the fans are back? I'm a bit wary of players who've suddenly become stars when there's no crowd can they keep it up when the crowd is back.

Based solely on his form this year Shaw is the best left back United have had since Dennis Irwin

My Evra rating does seem to fall a bit lower than most peoples. I suspect that is due to some having short memories. Evra had, I would say 3 consecutive seasons of below par performances. That would be his final 3 seasons.

Even if agreed and he was below par for 3 seasons that would still be Evra having five good seasons to Shaws 10 months.

Shaw has a way to go yet before he gets to Evras level. If he can keep this up though he'll certainly get there.

Big question will be Shaw doing it in front of crowds too. This time last year before the lockdown we were all handing his spot to Williams.

I did say based solely on this years form. It was my way of rating him, for this year only.

It's a big claim. 2007-2010 Evra was argubly the best left back in the world.

You say above you think it's based on others having short memories. But you can't ignore a 4 yr spell where he was the best player in his position in the world or at least consistently in the conversation.

Most importantly lets hope this Shaw form continues. Got to feel a little bit for Telles. This isn't the man he thought he was coming to compete with. Really glad we are finally getting to see it from Shaw. This is the potential he originally came with. Best left back in the league this season?

or short memories you wanted Shaw sold 6 months ago.

So you're talking specifically about the last 11 weeks?

Thats enough to declare him better than Evra who was consistent for 5 years?

As I said I like Shaw but as recently as November you were stating he's only okay and December banging on about his lack of fitness.

He's got a while to go yet.

he's been in good for a few weeks for sure. But not as good as Evra, I could easily pick a 2 month period in Evra's career to beat his 2 month form.

I have anwful feeling about injuries and England with him.

I like Shaw, he looked really fit after pre season, and he's doing really well. He has the capacity to be a real world class defender.

So you're talking specifically about the last 11 weeks?

Thats enough to declare him better than Evra who was consistent for 5 years?

As I said I like Shaw but as recently as November you were stating he's only okay and December banging on about his lack of fitness.

He's got a while to go yet.
Let me spell it out for you! If Luke Shaw was to continue with the form he has shown this year he would be the best LB United has had since Dennis Irwin.
I have no idea why you keep crackin on about what I said last year

It's football. It was definitely ambiguous. If someone said 'How many goals has Kane got this year'. You wouldn't think they were referring to since January.

Also seems a very small sample to be comparing to Evra and using Evra's bad 'three seasons' as a point for it. As I said i'd love to see Shaw get there but it's too soon to be making these claims.

I'd say Evra at his best is the best LB Utd have had full stop I loved Irwin but Evra between 2007-2011 was brilliant in a brilliant side that was dominant at home and incredibly competitive on a European stage he was a one man left hand side. Our left winger basically played like an extra midfield player when we had Evra because he did the work of 2 men on the pitch an incredible player.

2012 he was looking a bit dodgy so the club got Buttner in as competition, 2013 he was very good scored quite a few goals from memory that season but 2014 under Moyes he was poor.

Shaw has been great this season earned his recall but lets see if he can keep it up next season and do it in front of fans because that is when the pressure is really on you.

Sustained brilliant form. Think he gets into most teams in the world right now. Don’t think it’s a flash in the pan either.

Nailed on surely
Remember watching him as a youngster with Southampton, that he was a stand out, among other young greats. Chose MU over his boyhood club , Chelsea, wise move Luke. Fantastic player, so his form at present, doesn't surprise me at all

It's easy to forget given his current form, but he suffered a nasty injury v PSV that most players don't recover from. For him to come back from that, get through the Mourinho period and turn himself into the best left back in the league (tempted to say the world) is a testament to the stuff he's made of. Absolutely chuffed for the lad.

Hopefully he can carry it on next season.

Top players do it season after season lets hope that Shaw can start delivering at that level now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back