Champions League 0

Previous Seasons

Previous Seasons
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2017/18
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2016/17
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Luke Shaw | Match Discussion thread 2014/15

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Leicester City - 10th August 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good going forward bit sloppy at the back late on could’ve been fatigue but great to see him get a goal hopefully he keeps his focus and nails down the starting spot so we don’t have to rush Young back.

Very pleased for him. First senior goal and I believe a first since he was about 16. He’s been threatening to break his duck for a while now so maybe this is the first sign that this will be a breakthrough season for him.

Other than that, a very solid performance. I think having a left footer makes a big difference in attack. I’m not sure the ball goes to Sanchez to win the penalty if Young is at LB.

As I've said in another post regarding Peraira, as soon as Matic and Young get back playing these 2 will be dropped, simple as that

He's got a free shot for 3 games to really make the position his own before the international break. I think the goal probably moved him from a 5 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10 performance as he was no better/worse than Darmian on the other side it sounded similar to the sort of performances he was putting in during pre season.

What might actually work for him is if Mourinho is keen on staying beyond the end of this season he needs to make something of Shaw because in 12 months time both left backs are out of contract so if he doesn't get Shaw to the standard he needs his left back to be he's in trouble as the club will be looking at having to spend with no return. If Shaw is true to his word about wanting to stay and earn a new deal hopefully he can impress the manager but you never know what's true and what's lip service.

Young as far as I'm aware is back in training so it'll be interesting to see at what point he returns will he start vs Brighton or will he keep Shaw in and have Young on the bench. Young doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who needs games to get back up to speed.

I'd really like to see Shaw given a run, at least 5 games regarless

Same I see no point in rushing Young back into things but I'm not the manager and in his defence he'll need to give Young some playing time to get him up to speed as he won't have had any pre season time. Might put him in at right back vs Brighton?

The reason I'd keep playing Shaw is he's going to get a break shortly with the internationals unless Southgate decides to call him up if he has a couple of good games.

Yeah he should be given a run, if he is really going to have a long term future here then he needs to have faith placed in him.

I don’t think he has an amazing game but that goal will do his confidence the world of good. He strikes me as the sort of player who needs to have a run of games to really hit full speed and confidence. If he gets panned for Young against Brighton then I don’t think he’s got much chance of being a starter this season.

I think Shaw will be a nailed on starter against Brighton, he's done well enough and got his goal. I'm sure Jose even praised him after the game, shock horror! Young can then be played right instead of Darmian (Valencia is still injured). I personally think this would work well on a team level. You'd have Young and Rashford overlapping down one side, giving Lukaku plenty of service as Young delivery is pretty damn good, light years better than Valencia's.

But Jose is Jose and will keep banging away with his own well used and not so successful tactics at Utd. I just hope Carrick and the other guy (can't even remember his name) tries to get Jose to try different stuff over this coming season.

Yeah Jose said ‘it was a complete performance even before the goal. The goal was just the icing on the cake’

He said stuff like that a few times last season then he'd drop Shaw the next game.

I hope he's going to try a different motivational tactic with him this season he needs to keep Shaw focused on his football as we do need him and Shaw needs to do that because he's out of contract in 12 months and if he wants to continue earning £100k a week at Utd or any other club he's going to need to sort himself out.

the contract situation is at a odd point, he doesn't want to commit nor do Utd.

I think Utd would renew him tomorrow to protect his transfer value but I don't see them wanted to offer him much of a pay rise or anything to long term probably 2 more years on close to current pay is what they'd want to do.

Reports are he's on £100k a week so you can't imagine Utd being prepared to offer him much of a raise given he's only made 38 PL starts in 4 seasons as I believe the graphic highlighted on Friday along with the rumours of him not being fully committed all the time and the issues he's had with the manager.

I guess for Shaw it's a case of if he has a bad season someone will give him another chance and because he's a free transfer he can command a high wage. If he has a good season the offer from Utd might go up as I would imagine the starting players are all earning closer to the £150k a week bracket plus he knows he's got them over a barrell because he can leave for nothing in 12 months.

He says he want to stay and earn a new deal but with footballers what they said in public and what they say in private are often 2 different things.

Premier League: Brighton & Hove Albion 3-2 Manchester United - 19th August 2018

He was the best of a bad bunch.

Yeah I would agree with that, think he has had a positive start to the season. Obviously not spectacular but at least he kept trying when the rest of them seemed to give up.

Best of a bad bunch but still can't really say more than 7/10 for him.

Positive start to the season but still think once the right backs are fit he'll be dropped for Young as Jose doesn't trust him.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 27th August 2018

Shaw maybe our best player tonight and Jose full of praise on the pitch for him

Played well last night full of energy dare I saw looking like the Luke Shaw we had before that leg break, I really hope he keeps it up.

The only player who can hold his head high after last night. It’s amazing what a little run of games can do, he looks more confident and is giving us an extra outlet down that left side. I hope Jose persists with him now and he can finally start to reach that undoubted potential. That injury really messed him up which was sad to see.

3 good performances in a row from Shaw can't really fault anything he's done looks fit and confidence is growing but can't help but feel Jose will drop him as soon as he gets the chance.

Right now I see no logic for doing that

Why will Jose drop him when he's playing well? He is a Jose success story at the moment, tough love and the penny has dropped. Looks to me like Jose has done everything right with Shaw.

he's had 3 half decent games, let's not get carried away lol

And that is what Jose does, just look at Pereira!

Pereira hasn't really done enough to warrent a place. He's not done anything wrong. But he has also not done anything.

Once Matic and lingard were back of course he was getting dumped. There is no room for him. You can't have everyone in the squad, although I don't see why not really. Silly rule.

We joke that he'll get dropped because lets be honest it seems to be what happens with Shaw and Mourinho but you'd hope that he's done enough in those 3 games to be cut a bit of a slack and given a chance.

As for Periera obviously Matic was going to come back in but why was Periera not on the bench and McTominay was that was the bit I couldn't get my head around unless he's injured but no one seems to have asked these questions yet as far as we were told there were no injury concerns ahead of Spurs.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd September 2018

His best performance in a United shirt? Offers so much more going forward and the confidence to take on a few shots

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd September 2018

His best performance in a United shirt? Offers so much more going forward and the confidence to take on a few shots

The fact that Matic was covering for him, made it a lot easier going forward. He didn't have to second guess every move, fearing he'd be caught on the counter. Would like to see more of this setup after the international break.

Yep great today really getting some momentum going hope it’s a sign of things to come.

Won our August player of the month award. Deserved.

Hard to argue really had 4 really consistent performances I really hope he stays in the team after the internationals.

Funny how a player with 12 months left on a contract suddenly gets his act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back