Loan Watch 2023/24: Mason Greenwood at Getafe

His contract runs to 2025 with a 1 year option so effectively 2026.

Getafe apparently have a clause where they get 20% of any sale price this summer as part of the loan agreement.

£100m was tongue in cheek we'd do well to get half of that but there's apparently genuine interest from Atletico Madrid so don't see any reason why we shouldn't be asking for market rate for a very talented young player.

The Getafe loan runs til 2025? (At least on FM it does)

I can’t see United triggering the clause. How do they defend that backlash?

The Getafe loan runs til 2025? (At least on FM it does)

I can’t see United triggering the clause. How do they defend that backlash?

Are you sure it runs until 2025? All the reporting I've seen said it was only a 1 year loan.

I don't think they'll actually do it, it's just leverage to use against potential buyers this summer as really he has 2 years on his contract not 1, to me the plan always looked like put him in the shop window at Getafe then sell him for as much as we can this summer.

What he's worth is anyone's guess but wouldn't be surprised if Utd said to the buying club they will take a slightly lower fee with another sell on clause built in.

I'm hoping we bring him back and just use him - let's see what happens. The worst is the press obviously, but if he gets playing and scoring etc I bet he wins all of our fans back. Then the press will go away.

I believe he has 2 years left.

If I was in his shoes I am sure I wouldn’t want the backlash he would get from other clubs supporters. Obviously it would go away in time but it would be brutal week after week.

He’ll probably stay in Spain for a bit and maybe one day think about coming back to England. But I doubt he will ever play for England again.

If I was in his shoes I am sure I wouldn’t want the backlash he would get from other clubs supporters. Obviously it would go away in time but it would be brutal week after week.

He’ll probably stay in Spain for a bit and maybe one day think about coming back to England. But I doubt he will ever play for England again.
You are talking sense I must admit. I just don't want to lose a great talent, because I know in my heart he is going to be something special. Not just run of the mill, and it's not like we have a bunch of mega stars right now. Meh.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still think Greenwood will want a move in the summer, I reckon he probably sees his life away from England given all the headlines that would swirl around a return.

Reading between the lines sounds as though they have already made up their mind he will return. We will justify it being the key words, they wouldn't have to do that if he was moving on.

Reading between the lines sounds as though they have already made up their mind he will return. We will justify it being the key words, they wouldn't have to do that if he was moving on.

I think they’d need to carefully explain the decision to the fans/media and explain why now they can change track and let him come back.

They obviously don’t have to do this but I think they’ll need to do it.

I think they’d need to carefully explain the decision to the fans/media and explain why now they can change track and let him come back.

They obviously don’t have to do this but I think they’ll need to do it.

That's my point, if he was being moved on 90% of United fans wouldn't need an explanation.

That's my point, if he was being moved on 90% of United fans wouldn't need an explanation.

Im guessing he wasn’t expecting to be asked about Greenwood his response felt like a say something without actually saying anything response.

I doubt any decision on his future will be anywhere near Sir Jim anyway.

Deep down I always thought they might try again to bring him back if this loan went well.

Haven’t heard to much about his recent performances.

Im guessing he wasn’t expecting to be asked about Greenwood his response felt like a say something without actually saying anything response.

I doubt any decision on his future will be anywhere near Sir Jim anyway.

Deep down I always thought they might try again to bring him back if this loan went well.

Haven’t heard to much about his recent performances.

Just how I read it, read it being key, I'll watch it later with my tone and beathing experts and I may interpret it differently.

Just how I read it, read it being key, I'll watch it later with my tone and beathing experts and I may interpret it differently.

I have only seen the response in writing I don’t think the video on BBC included the question on Greenwood.

He comes across very well.

I have only seen the response in writing I don’t think the video on BBC included the question on Greenwood.

He comes across very well.

I recorded SkySports news earlier, there was an image of Greenwood there so I'm hoping it's been covered.

The last thing in peoples minds are the video recordings and that’s why if he came back here the abuse would be relentless.

He guilty in the court of public opinion. If he was to do a TV interview for example that may change the narrative but without that then no chance he comes back. Not even sure he would want to, he knows the abuse he will get.

Ratcliffe batted it back well and there isn’t much else he could say.

From today’s interview I’d be surprised if Greenwood doesn’t return. The justify it comment and the comparison to other players out on loan. I’ve only read the Athletics transcript but he seemed to make it clear that the decision will be looked at again.

It's a tough one. But he’s never been found guilty of anything.

Would Ratcliffe do something divisive so early into his tenure? It would be a bold move but one that could disrupt this new start he’s trying to build.

Yeah that intereview was interesting, it is known he wants young British players.

So maybe Greenwood and Sancho have a second chance.

How they manage the return of either of those players is a tough one.

Well Utd always had a decision to make this summer as he is only on loan until the summer.

He is going to come back this summer and Utd have to decide sell, keep or loan again I think his comments are just him leaving it open.

There are a few rumours that the player doesn't want to come back to Utd, he wants to move on with his career elsewhere.

Well Barca currently can't spend a penny without selling anyone so how the hell are they going to afford Greenwood?

I'm sure Utd would be very happy that clubs are interested as even with only 1 year on his deal this lad is still worth a hefty transfer fee and lord knows we need some money in.

Not sure a swap deal works for their issues they need money from a sale.

Think they got in trouble for manipulating transfer fees on "swap deals" for Juventus.

Think for every 1 euro they spend they need to raise 3 euros through sales, they're in an absolute mess.

Not sure we are shifting Sancho on his high wages and his level of play at the moment. He may need to suck it up and bury the hatchet with ETH.

For me there is a high chance Sancho is still with us next season, less so for Greenwood.

Not sure we are shifting Sancho on his high wages and his level of play at the moment. He may need to suck it up and bury the hatchet with ETH.

For me there is a high chance Sancho is still with us next season, less so for Greenwood.

I reckon most likely with Sancho is another season out on loan as no one is going to buy him on those wages.

If ETH is gone they might say the fresh regime are willing to review his circumstances in the same way they are willing to review the Greenwood situation.

I think Sancho just mentally has gone it'll be tough for him to get back to the levels he was at with Dortmund. Maybe that place was just perfect for him at that point in his career and he really shone as a result.

If I was EtH and Sancho apologised to me now after all this time I'd tell him to sod off. And I wouldn't use sod!

If I was EtH and Sancho apologised to me now after all this time I'd tell him to sod off. And I wouldn't use sod!

I think you have to be pragmatic but if I was ETH I'd still be telling the club they need to move him on.

He might apologise and get his head on for a few weeks but we've seen enough now that he can't sustain it and needs to be moved on.

I think you have to be pragmatic but if I was ETH I'd still be telling the club they need to move him on.

He might apologise and get his head on for a few weeks but we've seen enough now that he can't sustain it and needs to be move on.

There can't be a way back for the lad even if EtH is sacked or walks. Be disgusted at Sir Jim if he was to offer him a 2nd chance.

There can't be a way back for the lad even if EtH is sacked or walks. Be disgusted at Sir Jim if he was to offer him a 2nd chance.

I think it would need both a private and public apology and then you could maybe look at forgiveness as what he did was very silly and needless but young people make mistakes you can't hang it over for them forever.

The other side is would you even want him back? His performances at Utd have been consistently poor I think he's one where you just have to say it hasn't worked and move on as quickly as you can.

I think it would need both a private and public apology and then you could maybe look at forgiveness as what he did was very silly and needless but young people make mistakes you can't hang it over for them forever.

The other side is would you even want him back? His performances at Utd have been consistently poor I think he's one where you just have to say it hasn't worked and move on as quickly as you can.

Even if he hijacked News at Ten and made a grovelling apology live on TV wearing a dunces hat and pledged to give 50% of his wages for the next few years to charity I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club, and I'd imagine anybody that cares about the club would feel the same.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back