Loan Watch 2021/22: James Garner at Nottingham Forest

I'm wondering whether it would worth having a punt on Djed Spence at RB too. Great going forward, ok defending.

I'm wondering whether it would worth having a punt on Djed Spence at RB too. Great going forward, ok defending.
I only seen highlight of him. Apparently looked good against Arsenal. He look great going forward but his final ball is not on point apparently but that can be fixed. Also just 21 yo. I still prefer a more established talent like Timber or Frimpong but i will not say no if we can get him for a low fee.

I think someone will take a punt on him and I agree I think it’s worth going for him now. If a smaller EPL team takes him now then his price tag could be astronomical in the future.

He's helped Forest back to the Prem through the playoffs first time back in the league in 23 years.

You do wonder if he'll be going back on loan again next season or will he be kept around the club I guess pre season will be a chance for him to impress the new boss.

He's a good little player but the step up now is huge if he's going to make it at Utd.

Bruno said he's the player he is most looking forward to see stepping up the 1st team.

Leicester are after him

As much as I think Garner would improve us, I think the best thing for him would be to stay and help Forest fight to stay up. He needs to start every week, not play a bit role.

I am hoping we sign 2 new midfielders, and I’m also hoping McFred is a thing of the past. If we only get in 1 quality mid, then Garner has a good chance of partnering him. Garner is still only 21, this next season could be the one that defines him, whether he can make the step up, and if he’s in and out of the team and spending half his time as a sub/unused, he won’t develop.

Think we need to be a bit careful when we hype up these kids he's looked a good player in the championship which is positive for his career knowing he can handle that level but he isn't a player who stands out as being way better than everyone else on the pitch he's a good player in a good team.

To put it another way if he was actually a Forest player I don't think Premier League clubs would be falling over each other trying to buy him.

I expect he'll stick around next season because of the midfield departures this summer Utd and the Europa League campaign Utd are likely going to have chances to play some of the younger players and he's one of the better ones but we can't be relying on him.

His delivery on set pieces is very good and he's got a nice passing range but the challenge will be can he maintain that consistency in his passing when the game is played quicker.

As much as I think Garner would improve us, I think the best thing for him would be to stay and help Forest fight to stay up. He needs to start every week, not play a bit role.
Whilst in an ideal world that's what they'd do I'm not sure United can do that. I mean they are losing Matic, Pogba and Mata. And we all know Fred and McTominay are not good enough so they need 2 CMs plus I think Garner to step in and play a squad role. If they don't get 2 new CMs then next year is going to be another really bad year.

Whilst in an ideal world that's what they'd do I'm not sure United can do that. I mean they are losing Matic, Pogba and Mata. And we all know Fred and McTominay are not good enough so they need 2 CMs plus I think Garner to step in and play a squad role. If they don't get 2 new CMs then next year is going to be another really bad year.
Spoiler alert: nailed on next year is going to be another really bad year. We should create a thread on here and predict what people (including us) will be saying this time next year. I think we will see green shoots of positive new growth but the jury will very much still be out, and ETH’s credentials will be questioned. I think we will not get the player we all hope to get (pick whichever one you think would be perfect for us), and we will have another season of almost-but not quite good enough players relying on luck to get results. The system will be a shambles because Ronaldo is the only one who can put the ball in the net, and I just don’t see him playing in an Ajax-like set up. We will be a Frankenstein’s monster of mismatched players and tactics.
Garner would do well to avoid that kind of shit show. If we do miraculously get in 4 or 5 players who immediately bed in, then Garner would benefit from reduced playing time and should be around the first team. I honestly think he’s better than any of our midfielders who could conceivably play his position. He will be exposed if he has to account for Bruno’s profligacy and McFred’s general lack of quality and a nervous pair of CBs who can’t play a high line. Next season we finish 1 or 2 spots higher than this one, and I’d call that respectable progress. Then we get another transfer window to get shot of the last vestiges of every failed reign, and Garner could be broken in, having played 38 premier league games for a club fighting for their lives. A 22 year old Garner with that experience is going to be worth a lot more to United than a 21 year old with a good loan season under his belt. Wasn’t Scholes like 22 before he really got his chance? Even Beckham (I.e., someone with desperately needed set piece delivery) had to wait until 21, and had to go on loan to Preston even after scoring in the CL and getting an england call up (if I’m reading Wikipedia correctly).

He's helped Forest back to the Prem through the playoffs first time back in the league in 23 years.

You do wonder if he'll be going back on loan again next season or will he be kept around the club I guess pre season will be a chance for him to impress the new boss.

He's a good little player but the step up now is huge if he's going to make it at Utd.

Hardly little, he's over 6 foot tall.

Hope he stays at Forest for another year, not because I don't think he's good enough, he is, easily, just spare him the online abuse he'll get next season every time he misplaces a pass if we are not clear at the top, you know what our fans(and I use the term lightly)are like.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back