Loan Watch 2017/18: Cameron Borthwick-Jackson at Leeds United

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He will need to start well because a Man Utd player on loan at Leeds is not goin to be popular with the fans, he needs to win them over very quickly.

I think this kid has talent but he had a nightmare on loan last season hopefully he can get a lot more games under his belt this year.

Leeds lost their first choice LB this close season on a tribunal. If he is performing in training I am sure Christiansen will play him. The guy has come in from Limassol and got a bit of pressure on from Leeds fans already (doesn't know the league Mersonite type pressure). CBJ deserves a run-out somewhere though, think he performed admirably for LVG when required, for Wolves to have bombed him the way they did was very frustrating!

I think we'd have preferred a more stable club as this manager could get sacked very quickly if he make a bad start but that is life in the Championship owners are ruthless in the pursuit of the PL dream.

I thought he was great going forward his only issue was he looked a little slow off the mark once he got moving he was fine but he didn't seem to accelerate well which could be an issue if you're a full back.

Yes I guess so, but he was or is originally a CB. Leeds are no longer owned by Cellino so there 'may' be more stability there this time!

Most important thing is that he plays after last season. Apparently Ajax were interested.

Reports are he’s going to be recalled in January and loaned out to another club he’s not had much of a look in at Leeds and played his first game in ages in the FA Cup at the weekend and made a mistake which cost the team a goal.

This kid is having rotten luck with the loan system reports are Reading & Fulham may take him if he’s recalled on another loan deal but I do wonder if he might be better off playing some U23 football for Utd for 6 months.

I liked the look of him under LVG but these loan moves have been a complete waste of time for his development.

The club hasn't quite got to grips with the loan system, it's not just Borthwick-Jackson not getting games. Are the club doing enough to ensure players are going to the right clubs for their development and to get game time. U23s football is doing nothing for the players, Sbargia looking more and more like a poor choice with every passing week, and when they go out on loan they're not getting games sometimes due to managers getting sacked after they're signed by that manager.

The club hasn't quite got to grips with the loan system, it's not just Borthwick-Jackson not getting games. Are the club doing enough to ensure players are going to the right clubs for their development and to get game time. U23s football is doing nothing for the players, Sbargia looking more and more like a poor choice with every passing week, and when they go out on loan they're not getting games sometimes due to managers getting sacked after they're signed by that manager.

Did a bit of snooping online and there seems to be Leeds fans questioning his attitude after the game but this is a kid who's not been able to get a game because they have guys ahead of him who've been playing well in the games he had played up to the other night he'd actually done ok.

I wonder if he's actually a guy with a future for all we know he might have been told to find a new club either this summer or last summer and with no offers coming in he's been told we've got these loan options for you take your pick.

I think it's very hit and miss the loan system as it often relies on the manager who takes him staying in his job, CBJ was a bit unlucky last year as the manager who got him in and was picking him was sacked early and the new manager didn't want to play a youngster in a relegation battle. Similar happened to Fosu-Mensah at Palace when Hodgson came in he was suddenly out of the team.

It might be that CBJ would've been better off going to a league one side gaining a bit of a reputation then moving to a Championship side then a prem side. Cleverley did that when he was doing his loan moves he did Leicester, Watford then Wigan and I saw Kyle Walker play on loan at Northampton before he was sold to Spurs who then loaned him to a championship club and I think he even had a loan spell with another prem club before he made his breakthrough there.

Some of this comes with having a network the reports are Fulham who's manager has a good relationship with Mourinho and really wanted Periera last season or Reading who are managed by Utd old boy Jaap Stam who was a team mate of Nicky Butt who is in charge of the academy.

Yeah I was going to say that players seem reluctant to drop below what they think their level is, to guarantee first team football. I think League 2 would even be a better option than U23s football, which seems to me another system that isn't working.

Yeah I was going to say that players seem reluctant to drop below what they think their level is, to guarantee first team football. I think League 2 would even be a better option than U23s football, which seems to me another system that isn't working.

I watched a documentary on BT Sport this morning called No Hunder in Paradise all about young players and the system they come up in and this was an issue someone on it raised. Academy players are often scared of going to League 1 or League 2 because they know if they don't impress at that level then clubs might not keep them on for so many of them the focus is staying in the system and getting the next deal so not many are brave enough to step out of the comfort zone.

Also, they know the training facilities and all the other luxuries they've become used to won't be there and they're worried that they might not cope without them basically some suggest that they're afraid of it and with the way the loan system works now if their isn't a recall clause you are stuck there for the whole season.

Yeah i've heard a lot about that documentary but not seen it myself, touches on a lot of issues that need addressing.

Yeah it’s well worth watching but the sad reality is when you hear the people talking about these issues they can all see it but they know it’s never going to change attempting to regulate it is almost impossible unless the government were to introduce some sort of legislation.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back