Loan Watch 2014/15: Will Keane at Sheffield Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Will Keane joins Sheffield Wednesday on loan - Official Manchester United Website

Manchester United striker Will Keane is to spend the rest of the 2014/15 season at Sheffield Wednesday after signing for the Championship club on loan.

The 22-year-old already has some useful knowledge of English football's second tier, after making a total of 14 appearances in the division last season for Wigan Athletic and then Queens Park Rangers.

This season, Keane has played regularly for United's Under-21s and Reserves. After scoring in consecutive games at that level against Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers in November, he was named as a substitute for the first team's home match against Stoke City in early December.

Speaking to ManUtd.com about his playing style before Christmas, Keane said: "I can play a bit deeper and link play up or play higher up as a lone striker. I’ve got a bit of flexibility there. I don’t really have a preference. I can do both. Sometimes I enjoy playing up front on my own, just leading the line, but also there are so many top strikers here, it’s good to play up front with someone as well."

Keane, whose twin brother Michael signed a permanent contract with Burnley earlier this month, will wear Sheffield Wednesday’s number 48 shirt. He'll be eligible to play in the Owls' next league game on Tuesday when Stuart Gray's side, currently ninth in the Championship, host 11th-placed Birmingham City.

Will Keane can emulate Wickham and Barkley - Official Manchester United Website

Will Keane can emulate Ross Barkley and Connor Wickham by returning from a loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday and proving himself in the Barclays Premier League, according to Owls boss Stuart Gray.
The Manchester United striker made his debut in Tuesday's goalless draw with Birmingham City at Hillsborough and performed well despite being substituted on 75 minutes after sustaining a facial cut that required stitches.
Lewis Baker, who scored against the Reds in the Under-21 Premier League final at Old Trafford last term for Chelsea, is also with the South Yorkshire side and Gray has tipped both to come on leaps and bounds in the Championship.
"I thought they did well," Gray told Wednesday's official website. "Their ball retention was very good, with Will providing a good outlet up top. They are talented players and we are a good club where they can develop their game.
"You only have to look at the likes of Ross Barkley and Connor Wickham and how they progressed in their time with us, so hopefully Will and Lewis will do the same."
Barkley is a key performer for Everton and represented England at the World Cup finals, while Wickham played a major role in ensuring Sunderland escaped relegation last season.

Damaged his medial knee ligament in the first half. He's in a brace.

Sounds like another serious injury setback! Gutted for him. Thought he had a good chance of making it at United until injury, ruining his career.

Hope he recovers and manages a career in the game. I too though he had a decent chance before the first injury.

Terrible blow. He was playing well in the bits I saw for the under 21's prior to the loan and looked like he was close to his best but this is just rotten luck.

Reports of an injury setback seem to have been wide of the mark...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another start for Will tonight away at Millwall. 1-0 up at HT.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back