Liverpool Discussion 2021/22

For me the best manager over achieves gets more from his players than another manager would.

I think Pep delivers what we expect from a club with a limitless budget that is also well run. He is great but this level of performance is now expected and if anything he's maybe under performed as domestic cups they failed to reach either final. Fergie didn't win manager of the year every time he won the league title.

The Klopp love in does my head in.

he has won manager of the year for a penalty shoot out win over Chelsea in the FA cup. I hold no gravitas with the milk cup, no one takes it seriously and if you believe they do then bully for you.

And also if don't you think their CL route to the final was quite an easy route then there is not much I can say to that.

Madrid have beaten, City, PSG and Chelsea in the knockout stage, Liverpool had Inter, Benfica and Villareal.

So Pep wins his 4th title in 5 years, 94 points was it? 99 goals win NO STRIKER, and concedes 26 with quite severe defensive injuries, yet you don't think he has over achieved. But Klopp has overachieved by winning the FA cup on penalties, to a Chelsea side that has been in crisis since Roman was sanctioned.

Sorry, I don't get that thinking at all.

No way should Klopp be winning the manager of the year

I don't particularly enjoy the love in either but the man is very very good at his job. He has repaired a very damaged relationship between owners/fans/players at that club and turned them into top contenders across all competitions. You don't have to like him but you do have to respect him.

League Cup and FA Cup in modern football have equal standing don't care what anyone says anymore the FA Cup has lost it's prestige to anyone born after 1990. A domestic cup is a domestic cup as sides treat them both as opportunities to play second teams pretty much all the way to the final. Personally I'd bin one of them and just have one domestic cup as teams aren't taking them seriously keep the FA Cup for tradition and bin the league cup.

What has Madrid's run to the final got to do with Klopp? Man City knocked out Sporting Lisbon and Atletico Madrid (who Liverpool beat home and away in the group stage btw). In fact two of the teams in Liverpool's group this season won their leagues this season. City then absolutely sh*t their pants and threw it away vs Real Madrid but really the LMA should be picking a manager based on their domestic performance. It could well be that the votes came just after that shocking defeat and that was enough to sway it.

Pep won the league with a squad that in recent seasons has got 100, 98, 81 & 86 points they get a lot of points every season. Well he did have a striker he had Jesus and he also had Mahrez, Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne playing in a system that obviously doesn't require a centre forward. Liverpool's only centre forward this season scored 5 goals City's only centre forward scored 8. As for the defence city have 4 centre backs on the books all cost more than £40m and apart from the very end of the season they've never reached a crisis point and they just about got home.

Last season Liverpool got 69 points this season they've jumped to 92 that's a massive jump City went from 86 to 93.

If Pep got it this season there's no complaints from me but Liverpool are the underdog in that race due to the backing City get from the owners so I can see why people side with him in a vote as when the vote was done Liverpool had 2 trophies in the bag and City had none.

Last season Liverpool got 69 points this season they've jumped to 92 that's a massive jump City went from 86 to 93.
That was predicted before the season started because they had to break from their caffeine treatment.

I respect Klopp, he's a great manager, but an FA cup win on penalties, with the squad he has, is not enough for a manager of the year award.

That was predicted before the season started because they had to break from their caffeine treatment.

I respect Klopp, he's a great manager, but an FA cup win on penalties, with the squad he has, is not enough for a manager of the year award.

I think we all expected a come back this season because they actually had some centre backs fit this season and they also signed someone their finish to the end of last season was pretty crazy to once they got a few players back fit.

He beat the current European Champions who are third in two cup finals this season on penalties. Both were great games by the way but two very evenly matched sides full of world class players who in 4 games this season couldn't be separated. Chelsea came 3rd in the best league in the world and got to a CL semi final yeah off the pitch they've had some turmoil this season but in the big matches they've turned up.

Worth noting that for that FA Cup win they also knocked City out in the semis.

These votes always come down to timing I'm sure when these votes were done Liverpool would have been flying maybe if the vote was done after all the domestic games were played then Pep might have snuck it.

How can an FA cup win on penalties better a 4th league win in 5 years.

It's premier League manager of the year. The cups don't matter.

How can an FA cup win on penalties better a 4th league win in 5 years.

Because all the history means nothing you are judging performance from this season and this season only.

As I said it is likely due to timing at the point the votes go in the voters don't know who will win the league as it was a neck and neck race. Imagine they'd voted for Pep and Klopp won the league on the final day?

Were City better this season than last season? They spent £100m on Grealish who's done almost nothing and last season they won the league and a cup.

Were Liverpool better than last season? Yes they won two domestic cup and missed the league by 1 point.

Pep won it last season as well so maybe people felt I voted for him last year this year I'm going to vote for Klopp.

Fergie won 13 league titles he only won the LMA award 5 times. Moyes got it in 2009 that year we won our 3rd league title in a row and got to our second european cup final in a row. Everton came 5th and the season before that they also came 5th. In fact Utd did the double in 94 and 96 Fergie didn't win it in either of those years.

2012 Mancini wins first City title but Alan Pardew gets the award
2014 Pellegrini wins City's second title but Rodgers gets the award.

Starting to think this award is a bit of a joke and we probably shouldn't really give a sh*t who wins it.

It's premier League manager of the year. The cups don't matter.

The LMA award is for the best manager across all 4 divisions and is voted by the managers of the 92 clubs.

It's essentially managers manager of the year in England.

Because all the history means nothing you are judging performance from this season and this season only.
well you're the one who brought last season into it, saying Liverpool have improved, I countered it with City are consistent.

I agree, it's BS, Frank or Howe should have won. But if you're picking between Pep and Klopp, no way Klopp should get it. We all know how difficult it is to win back to back titles.

well you're the one who brought last season into it, saying Liverpool have improved, I countered it with City are consistent.

I agree, it's BS, Frank or Howe should have won. But if you're picking between Pep and Klopp, no way Klopp should get it. We all know how difficult it is to win back to back titles.

I used the improvement from last season to make a case as to why people might have voted Klopp this year along with the cup success. Of course Pep is consistent he starts every season with the best squad in the league and the biggest budget he should win it every year and staying on top isn't easy. To be honest I'd say by not picking up any of the cups this season or reaching a final he's probably under achieved but I imagine he doesn't care he's got his league title and a brand new striker to unleash on us all next season.

Like I said it was probably a coin toss for most managers between the two I doubt they sat their studying it all and looking outside their division for someone to vote for. Probably quite a lot of voting for your mates going on as well I'd be surprised if they take it that seriously.

Fans take these individual prizes way to seriously.

It comes down to are you voting for the best manager or the manager who did the best job?

Klopp isn't a ridiculous choice if I had a vote and I wasn't a Utd fan I'd probably have given it to him over Pep.

The award is a bit of fun and an excuse for a fancy awards night out for those involved I imagine it means very little to the people who win it.

I do think Klopp is a good manager, I'm not saying he's not.

But he is not as good as made out. He needs this CL win for me.

He plays great football to watch, is media friendly with his gurning and comments, and says the right things for the fans. And that inflates him a bit.
This season, he's won the FA cup yet everyone is going on like he's one of the best managers ever. He doesn't even compare to Pep who is one of the best managers, if not the best.

Klopp joined 2015, has 1 prem, 1 CL. 1 FA cup. 1 ELC
Pep joined 2016 has 4 prem, 1 FA cup, 4 ELC

Money has nothing to do with it, Liverpool have spent and bomb, and their squad is equally as good as City. Grealish 100m, Konate/Diaz 90m ish

I do think Klopp is a good manager, but his status is over infalted for me.

Win this CL and I think he starts to play with the big boys.

The LMA award is for the best manager across all 4 divisions and is voted by the managers of the 92 clubs.

It's essentially managers manager of the year in England.

He won both. LMA manager of the year and Premier League Manager of the year though.

People go to far when talking about these two and the greatest ever they are certainly along with Ancelotti the best of the current era in terms of European football. The consistency shown domestically and in Europe is incredible. In the last 4 seasons both men for me have produced 3 teams that were more than good enough to win a league title in England.

In terms of the Premier League Guardiola is now in the conversation 4 league titles in 6 seasons puts him in the conversation with Fergie, Wenger & Mourinho.

Klopp to go into that conversation probably needs to win another league title but his record is ridiculously good.

He won both. LMA manager of the year and Premier League Manager of the year though.

Didn't even know the premier league one existed same with the players one they gave out the other day.

The Premier League one is voted for by a panel from the league sponsors so I'd say the LMA one is the one that really matters.

I need to check on which Frank you're saying should have won it? You surely don't mean Lampard who took Everton from 16th to 16th by diversion of a all out relegation battle?

Mane has hinted that he'll be staying new contract likely to be announced after the final on Saturday.

Regardless of where I lie with United... I'll always and forever dislike the red scum in Liverpool. And I love to see the disappointment on those players faces. Delicious.

What a story in the CL this year for Real. And Liverpool fans can say what they want but the season really ends in double disappointment for them.

Rio shutting Owen down. Class!

Owen talking about Liverpool being the best team in Europe. Rio responds with "they lost in the final today and finished runners up in the Premier League".

Shut up Owen. You're a melt. Didn't like you before you joined United. Didn't like you when you played for United. Don't like you now. What a terrible pundit.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Twitter is gold right now!

TAA shows his defensive qualities again

Liverpool mates are scraping the barrel wit being the most decorated club in England haha

All that gurning, all that bravado, 2 cup wins on penalties. Their greatest achievement this season is getting CL.

Obviously love the fact that Madrid did them again but they battered them which makes it even sweeter.

3 cup finals no goals scored but Madrid did the perfect number on them the goalie kept them in the game and they took their chance.

That said Madrid are nowhere near the quality of the two top sides in our league.

TAA shows his defensive qualities again

Liverpool mates are scraping the barrel wit being the most decorated club in England haha

All that gurning, all that bravado, 2 cup wins on penalties. Their greatest achievement this season is getting CL.
TAA is great going forward but is defensively suspect. Reece James is a far greater right back and can see why Southgate favours others for the most part at right back.

I guess in our own footballing misery, last night is a win for us!

Weird, considering they beat them both and are the ones with title of best team in Europe

If you think winning the European cup means you are the best team in Europe then you are correct but it is a cup competition strange things can happen in it. Madrid are just a very hard side to beat you give them an inch and they’ll take a mile it’s been the story of their journey through this competition this season.

The played the top 3 sides in England this season over 5 matches think it works out as won 3 lost 2 but in the 3 they won I’d say only once were they clearly the better side on the night which was the first leg vs Chelsea.

They are a very hard team to explain other than to just say they are “get sh*t done” FC. When there’s a trophy to be won they find a way to win it, it is almost impossible to explain.

let’s hope they win it again next season.

Next year I think is the year for PSG, if I made bets, that's where I'd go

City or Liverpool for me sadly.

Unless PSG are getting rid of Neymar and Messi they’ve got no chance it’s a holiday camp not a serious football club. They let in to many goals because they don’t defend properly until they sort that out they are going to be found out same way Bayern were.

Madrid will be in the mix again because that’s what they’re like.

Mane is off according to reports told the club he won’t be signing a new deal and wants a new challenge.

Strongest rumours are he’s off to Bayern.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back