Liverpool Discussion 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
2 wins from 2 for Liverpool had two nice fixtures to start the season with but they'll be happy to come through with the 100% record.

Also, looks like Shaqiri is off to Lyon for just under 10m they'll probably be happy to get that money in as he wasn't playing very often.

Still think they look a little bit light on numbers to challenge if they get a few injuries the replacements aren't great but if they keep that core of the team fit it's hard to imagine they won't be in the mix come the end.

You can see the feel good factor around that club at the moment with all the current players signing new deals to tie them down to the club long term.

They're also in talk with Henderson over a new deal as they look to tie down the core of that title winning side.

It marks a bit of change in status for the club as 5 years ago before Klopp arrived they had problems keeping top stars at the club players like Coutinho, Suarez and Sterling all moved on seeking greater riches now they seem to be able to keep their main men happy.

I don't see it as rosy as you guys do. Salah is the only attacking star they have, and he is 29. Tying him to a long term deal is probably not what they really want to do, although another 2 years would suit them. Everyone over 30 knows what I'm talking about: your body just changes, everything becomes a lot harder to do in footy, your endurance and stamina drop, and shit just gets harder. Henderson is their version of Fletcher: only the club fans rate the player. Firminho is a streaky player but tailed off badly end of last season. They've got a solid defense and will feel comfortable against mid to bottom table teams. I don't think they will be challenging us, Chelsea, or Man City. I see them finishing 4th.

Thing is all the pieces fit together and work.

Firmino seems to bring the best from Salah and Mane plus they now have Jota who can fill any of the 3 attacking roles as cover.

Got some talented kids like Jones and Elliot who they probably need to step up a bit.

Not every player dies on his arse at 30 though top players can go well into their 30s now if they’ve looked after their bodies and adapted their game to the changes. See no reason for Salah to drop off massively over the next few seasons he was a late bloomer and seems in top shape.

The one that would worry me if I was a Liverpool fan is Mane. He was really poor last season and for me Mane is their main man when he’s on his game they go to another level as a team.

I think Salah is going to not get the rub of the green anymore with his penalty area dives. If the refs hold fast on their commitment to allowing contact, he's not getting those pens. He got 6 penalties last season and scored all 6. He goes down easier than a sorority sister after two beers.

Not every player dies on his arse at 30 but players that rely on pace for much of their game often do. We sold Van Persie at 32, and I think he was one of the best the PL has ever seen, but we cashed in (?).

And I agree that Mane was their secret sauce.

Henderson signs a new contract.

Seems Liverpool are focusing heavily on renewing the contracts of existing players keeping the gang together.

Nothing yet his current deal takes him to 2023 when he will be 31.

Mane's contract is also to 2023

My guess is they'll try and sign these two to new deals at the same time to create a level playing field.

Looks a horror injury for Harvey Barnes. Be surprised if he's not out for the season.

Yep not sure it was a red card totally accidental but looks nasty will be out for a long time.

Bad luck for him he’s just got into the team.

Ahh sorry. You are of course correct! I'd done 2 hours swimming then gone for a few beers to watch the game. At least I got the right thread!

Looked a great game from the bits I saw.

Brentford are going to be a nightmare for the top sides this season work their socks off and have quality to go with it.

This result has just made me even more annoyed. Had we taken care of business we’d be looking down from the top of the table, laughing our asses off.

That second half of football was excellent. 2 points seperate the top 6.

A few things stood out to me. First, the goals came because players were able to dribble past a man or two and create space to slot a ball through. Second, there were at least 4 runners up with each counter attack. Third, both teams had the ability to win the ball back in a congested midfield, retain the ball, find an open man, who was able to look forward and launch their side forward.

We either don't do any of that anymore (first and second) or are incapable (third).

Brilliant second half. Some half time team talk from Klopp as Liverpool were the polar opposite to the first half. We are not good enough to compete against these two.

Based on the opening games we are miles off these two but Liverpool got a huge break at 1-1 Milner should have seen red for a second yellow but the ref bottled it.

They look right back to their best and will be pushing towards 90 points this season if they avoid injury.

Brutal watching these two being at that level

Not sure their squad is strong enough to compete in the Premier League and Champions League this season. One will have to give.

Brilliant second half. Some half time team talk from Klopp as Liverpool were the polar opposite to the first half. We are not good enough to compete against these two.
Afraid I've got to agree. Watched the Brentford game. Impressive.

Based on the opening games we are miles off these two but Liverpool got a huge break at 1-1 Milner should have seen red for a second yellow but the ref bottled it.

They look right back to their best and will be pushing towards 90 points this season if they avoid injury.

Brutal watching these two being at that level
Brutal, but fact!

West Ham 1-0 up inside 5 mins. Goal straight from the corner gone down as an Allison own goal.

Looking like it’s going to be a hell of a title race.

Could be a big change at Liverpool with him out the door their owners the club is run as a business so it only spends what it has and Edwards has been part of the team that found quite a few bargains but also secured big fees for squad players as well as that monster fee for Coutinho.

There's a rocky road ahead for them though Salah has said he wants to stay but he also wants a mega money contract that puts him much closer to what the top players around Europe are earning. If Liverpool give him this deal reported to be worth £500k a week then what does that mean for the other players? You can at least say he's earned it by being brilliant for them season after season firing them to titles and is currently arguably the best player in the world but that sort of deal puts him on double what the next best paid guy earns.

Is he the guy rumoured to be going to Newcastle?

I did read they are looking to strenghten in January due to losing Salah, Mane and Keita

Yeah but I think he's distanced himself from those rumours as there's also rumours that Madrid want him so he might go abroad.

As far as I'm aware they don't really have any money to spend they're investing big money into the stadium which will be paid for by loans, there's still historical debt from the previous owners being paid off and they've had to hand out big pay rises to the current playing staff to keep them.

Getting top 4 last season was a huge bonus for them if they'd been out of CL for 1 season I imagine that's a kind of hit that they can't swallow.

Liverpool have done well in selling players but not sure what else there is to sell.

Saw a rumour about Mbappe the other day seems unlikely that after thall that mess of last summer he won't go to Madrid but he seems to like Liverpool.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to find someone on loan or something short term but hard to see them splashing the cash in January.

If they wont pay what Salah wants, no way will they pay what Mbappe would want

Yeah that's why I don't believe those sort of rumours same as those weird stories you see about Barcelona signing top players. Where's that money coming from?

It's not just Salah as Mane is also going into his last year of contract in the summer both of these two seem reluctant to sign until the other one does because if Salah gets the big money I reckon Mane will want it too.

Would be really helpful if he did bugger off and play for a club outside of the prem scores way to many goals for my liking.

Feels like only PSG or Madrid could really afford him and at 29 you'd be gambling even if he does look as fit as ever.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back