Lisandro Martínez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decent article on him.

I now fully endorse this signature and Argentinian centre back who's nickname is "The Butcher" yes please!

Decent article on him.

I now fully endorse this signature and Argentinian centre back who's nickname is "The Butcher" yes please!

The guy sounds like his agent.

Still hope he goes to Arsenal.

Murtough and Arnold have apparently left Barcelona and are now in Amsterdam to try and conclude the deal for Martinez.

LADS ON TOUR!

Most of the reporting on this seems to be that a deal should be easy to conclude Utd just need to dig a bit deeper into the pockets to satisfy Ajax.

Never in over 50 years have I wanted a transfer not to go through more than this one.

I assume because of his height. I read today that the Torres deal was all agreed and ETH just needed to green light it and veto'd it for this guy.

Torres in the Euros looked a bit dodge.

This guy has experience playing DM too which might have swung it

Height, lack of pace, Argentinian, and the fee.
I wouldn’t rule out ETH seeing him as an option as a deep lying midfielder. He has great ability on the ball and he’s not exactly slow.

The height thing is obviously a worry if he’s being utilised as a central defender but being able to read the play, being aggressive and great positioning can make up for a lack of height.

I wouldn’t rule out ETH seeing him as an option as a deep lying midfielder. He has great ability on the ball and he’s not exactly slow.

The height thing is obviously a worry if he’s being utilised as a central defender but being able to read the play, being aggressive and great positioning can make up for a lack of height.
No one is talking about the most important issue. Is he going to play instead of Maguire. He is a left footed CB.

No one is talking about the most important issue. Is he going to play instead of Maguire. He is a left footed CB.
No I don't think he will. I don't know where he fits in to be honest but I don't think it'll be instead of Maguire. So either it will be instead of Varane or it'll be in midfield. I suspect more likely it'll be the former option there.

How's that effect Maguire?

Maguire prefers to play RCB. The only issue for him is that he's the best we've got a LCB.

I'm hoping the best two in training get picked, whoever they are

Seen that mentioned a few times, probably from folk like myself concerned about his lack of height, pace and general suitability to play CB in a two in England, but the vast majority of Ajax fans were glad when ten Hag moved Martinez from that position because he wasn't very good there many citing his lack of pace as one of the reason he wasn't suited, well if he's not good enough for that position in Holland he ain't got a cat in hells chance of being good enough there in England.

Not as concerned about the fee as I was earlier though as going by their records they traditionally receive higher transfer fees for defenders than any other position. Which is a bit odd for a side who pride themselves on fast flowing football with wingers.

Think he might see him as a bit of a utility player and we might see him change position quite a bit.

All the stuff from Ajax fans is positive though he works his socks off according to them, full commitment and has talent it's why he got their player of the season last year.

I'm pretty happy I don't know much about the guy but he knows the manager and the system which hopefully means he'll adapt quickly to it and given the bits i've read he should be able to handle the speed of the English game no problem.

I think he'll be used as CB mainly, apparently his ball playing skills from defence is why ETH is after him

The positive is this one sounds like it could happen quite quickly so hopefully we can get him out on tour to join up with the team.

It is good that they've acted swiftly. He seems to be a good player but I'm still a little baffled by their approach.

In what way?
So look Malacia I'm sure will be a good player but LB wasn't a priority. You'd argue they could have gotten by for a year but look I get it. You like a player and he was on the move so you step in.

Martinez again feels like another player who whilst I'm sure adds to the squad I'm not sure where he fits? Is he going to get in ahead of Maguire? I suspect not. Is he going to play instead of Varane? I mean if Varane stays fit then you'd suggest he probably won't. But he's going to cost £50M.

Eriksen is a really nice player but he's also an attacking player. United needed an attacking player so I get that and he was on a free. But they are still looking at the attack so clearly Ten Hag wants more there.

And so that leaves midfield. They've chased De Jong all summer so far. They may well land him but De Jong alone isn't enough. That midfield is a joke and yet here they are only seeming to be after one. I don't get it. It is very clear they need at least 2.

So look Malacia I'm sure will be a good player but LB wasn't a priority. You'd argue they could have gotten by for a year but look I get it. You like a player and he was on the move so you step in.

Martinez again feels like another player who whilst I'm sure adds to the squad I'm not sure where he fits? Is he going to get in ahead of Maguire? I suspect not. Is he going to play instead of Varane? I mean if Varane stays fit then you'd suggest he probably won't. But he's going to cost £50M.

Eriksen is a really nice player but he's also an attacking player. United needed an attacking player so I get that and he was on a free. But they are still looking at the attack so clearly Ten Hag wants more there.

And so that leaves midfield. They've chased De Jong all summer so far. They may well land him but De Jong alone isn't enough. That midfield is a joke and yet here they are only seeming to be after one. I don't get it. It is very clear they need at least 2.

It is required if we are moving Telles on which seems likely and this kid is someone ETH clearly rates if we waited 12 months we might end up paying 2 or 3 times what we just paid for him if they went for him from Lyon. If we can get a decent fee for Telles we probably cover most of his transfer fee. I also think we have a big decision coming with Shaw he's just turned 27 he's still hit and miss and he's on big wages so if he doesn't sort his consistency out the club might need to try and sell him.

Talk seems to be that Utd will be allowing Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly leave the club this summer which leaves us 1 centre back short and Martinez gives us some good balance as currently we don't have a left footed centre back. He can also play in midfield and knows the ETH system so gives us healthy competition at the back and another option in midfield. Yeah it costs £40m but if we do manage to move those 3 current players on we should be able to recover a good chunk of that from sales.... that is a big IF though.

In midfield if we sign De Jong, Eriksen and Martinez I think that gives us some decent options for midfield along with McTominay, Fred and Bruno for next season. With Europa League matches there's chances to play the kids a bit as well to give them some experience.

Attack will still look light but it doesn't seem like there's much talk around these positions other than Anthony. If Ronaldo goes which looks 50/50 at this point despite what the club say we may be putting our eggs in the Martial basket again next season.

I think if we've got 4 signings in before the end of July that is good going. There isn't a bottomless pit of money so if we can get a few more out the door there might be space for that attacking signing late in the window but there is talent there he might have to back his ability as a coach to get the best from these players.

Liverpool, City and Chelsea have signed or are chasing mobile 6'0+ bruisers, we're signing Ronnie Corbett's shorter brother.

I don't think we should write off a player, who in general was little known.
He's played for the manager who knows him and thinks he can do a job in his system. We need to trust ETH

Sounds like the fee is agreed with Ajax £45m plus £5m of bonuses.

Player will apparently travel shortly to agree personal terms, complete a medical and sort out his visa.

Visa can take a week to sort out but he meets the requirements easily so not expected to be a problem for him.

I got mixed feeling for Martinez.
I rather we go for a Real replacement at CB like Gvardiol or Kounde or save the money for a RW like Antony. I don't see Martinez as a starter for us.

It is required if we are moving Telles on which seems likely and this kid is someone ETH clearly rates if we waited 12 months we might end up paying 2 or 3 times what we just paid for him if they went for him from Lyon. If we can get a decent fee for Telles we probably cover most of his transfer fee. I also think we have a big decision coming with Shaw he's just turned 27 he's still hit and miss and he's on big wages so if he doesn't sort his consistency out the club might need to try and sell him.

Talk seems to be that Utd will be allowing Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly leave the club this summer which leaves us 1 centre back short and Martinez gives us some good balance as currently we don't have a left footed centre back. He can also play in midfield and knows the ETH system so gives us healthy competition at the back and another option in midfield. Yeah it costs £40m but if we do manage to move those 3 current players on we should be able to recover a good chunk of that from sales.... that is a big IF though.

In midfield if we sign De Jong, Eriksen and Martinez I think that gives us some decent options for midfield along with McTominay, Fred and Bruno for next season. With Europa League matches there's chances to play the kids a bit as well to give them some experience.

Attack will still look light but it doesn't seem like there's much talk around these positions other than Anthony. If Ronaldo goes which looks 50/50 at this point despite what the club say we may be putting our eggs in the Martial basket again next season.

I think if we've got 4 signings in before the end of July that is good going. There isn't a bottomless pit of money so if we can get a few more out the door there might be space for that attacking signing late in the window but there is talent there he might have to back his ability as a coach to get the best from these players.
I mean look bud we can agree to disagree. I get the Malacia move if they really liked him. LB is a medium term need and if they wanted him then they got him whilst he's probably at his cheapest. But LB was not a major need and RB still needs to be addressed.

Individually I get each move that they've made but as a collective I'm just not sure. CB is a need in the medium term but I'm not sure it is right now.

Attack is a need and Eriksen helps that but we do need more. But midfield is a big big gaping chasm. It's a terrible midfield. Add De Jong and whilst he's a fantastic player I think that just makes it a decent midfield but not outstanding.

I mean look bud we can agree to disagree. I get the Malacia move if they really liked him. LB is a medium term need and if they wanted him then they got him whilst he's probably at his cheapest. But LB was not a major need and RB still needs to be addressed.

Individually I get each move that they've made but as a collective I'm just not sure. CB is a need in the medium term but I'm not sure it is right now.

Attack is a need and Eriksen helps that but we do need more. But midfield is a big big gaping chasm. It's a terrible midfield. Add De Jong and whilst he's a fantastic player I think that just makes it a decent midfield but not outstanding.
If we get FDJ it will be FDJ, Fred and Bruno.
That will be good enought for top 4

Rumbled. Former United fan my eye. King of the entitled more like.

If we get FDJ it will be FDJ, Fred and Bruno.
That will be good enought for top 4

If Fred holds his form, Bruno gets back to his form from his first 18 months at the club, and FdJ settles quickly and plays to his top level consistently they are good enough to get us top two.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back