2019/20
Position 3rd
Points 66
Wins 18
Draws 12
Losses 8
Goals for 66
Goals against 36

So apart from goals conceded it’s basically progress across the board this season in the league.

Undefeated away from home but 6 defeats from 19 games at home is alarming but two of those defeats came when top 4 was already secured and we dealt with the backlog of games.

The challenge is clearly turning some of these draws into wins next season.

It's the first time since Sir Alex retired that we've had back to back top 4 finishes.

I think for his first full season it's a good start. We all know there are weaknesses in the squad and hopefully we address them this summer.

It's the first time since Sir Alex retired that we've had back to back top 4 finishes.

I think for his first full season it's a good start. We all know there are weaknesses in the squad and hopefully we address them this summer.

Second full season hard to keep track of everything these days.

He’s not really had a proper full season his first was stopped for months because of Covid and his second was a condensed season behind closed doors.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think one of the big things Ole is doing well is triming the squad of the deadwood. When he joined we had the highest wage bill in the league. Sitting in third now.

Since Ole joined we've let Lukaku, Smalling, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Herrera, Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira leave. Have cut our wage bill by over a million a week all whilst maintaining progress a small steps forwards. This summer probably sees the end of Mata and possibly Lingard and Jones.

For me the biggest sign of progress is closing that gap between us and the top sides. In 2020 we finished 33 points off the title (Liverpool) and 36 goals behind the top scorers (City). In 2021, that gap was only 12 points and 10 goals (City), which nobody saw coming after what was a pretty disastrous summer. Chuck in a European final (and hopefully a trophy), and there's plenty to build from. The biggest question is going to be what backing Ole gets and if he's going to be allowed to build, or be forced to repeat the same tricks again.

Since Ole joined we've let Lukaku, Smalling, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Herrera, Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira leave. Have cut our wage bill by over a million a week all whilst maintaining progress a small steps forwards. This summer probably sees the end of Mata and possibly Lingard and Jones.

Pereira is only on loan so he'll possibly be back next season along with Dalot.

It's been a big turn around the clubs had to take some big hits to as apart from Lukaku and Smalling don't think any of them returned much of a transfer fee.

I'd say Mata/Lingard will almost certainly leave this summer can't see Jones going anywhere as he's still under contract hasn't played a minute of football this season so hard to see where he goes. There's something fishy about the Jones absence as it's something that isn't being talked about at all you wonder if there's been personal or mental health reasons behind his absence.

Romero will also leave this summer.

I'd say it's because he can't play football at the required level

Jones is not as bad as people like to make out but to not even make the bench at any point in the season suggests something isn’t right with him.

Didn't realise I can't start threads yet... so forget end of last season... can someone create a thread for the new fixtures?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back