League Cup 2021/22: Man Utd vs West Ham ~ Wed 22nd Sep 7.45pm KO

Jon Moss being his usual terrible self.

Missed a blatant penalty on Lingard then on half time blows as we pass the ball into the attacker

How he’s not been retired yet is beyond me

And he’s a fat little wanker, how on earth does he still get a job reffing ?

How bad must the next lot be if he’s clinging on, they’ve got some Aussie guy coming in this season think he did his first game last weekend.

Decent size crowd for a midweek league cup game.

Martial just isn’t alive when the ball comes in the box.

Someone needs to grab this game and really take it to West Ham feels like they’re holding us at arms length quite easily.

Greenwood on for Mata made a difference already much better energy about us.

Reckon Bruno will be on soon as well.

Not many of these lads staking a claim for a regular start

Lingard and Telles off Bruno and Elanga off

Elanga seems to be playing left back.

Martial is a lucky boy staying on I’d have had him off instead of Lingard.

He’s done it again 4 minutes injury time blown dead on 4.

The ball wasn’t in play for 1 whole minute of the 4 he added on because he couldn’t get his fat head out of the way of it.

Second half no bookings for Kral or Yarmalenko he’s a joke of a ref.

Poor night. Were not clinical enough.

Ah well, don’t care for the League Cup as I think it’s a pointless cup but still disappointed to lose.

How do you feel about that then United fans?

Thought United were the better team but West Ham in the end possibly had the better chances?

Lots of changes, lots of important minutes for players so that's positive? I thought Greenwood was lively when he came on. I thought Sancho was more involved.

But bottom line that's another cup chance gone. A tournament that City take more seriously and have won a lot. And more importantly I think there's fewer opportunities now for some of those squad players.

He’s done it again 4 minutes injury time blown dead on 4.

The ball wasn’t in play for 1 whole minute of the 4 he added on because he couldn’t get his fat head out of the way of it.

Second half no bookings for Kral or Yarmalenko he’s a joke of a ref.
Yep absolutely dying to blow his whistle dead on 4 minutes.

Terrible performance deserved to go out played like strangers created very little think their keeper made 1 save from Greenwood.

1 trophy of 4 gone and we all know Ole needs to bag one.

Martial shouldn’t even be getting on the bench going forward he’s garbage needs to be told to find a new club there’s just so many more better options available now.

Thought most of the others gave it their best but wasn’t good enough on the night.

How do you feel about that then United fans?

Thought United were the better team but West Ham in the end possibly had the better chances?

Lots of changes, lots of important minutes for players so that's positive? I thought Greenwood was lively when he came on. I thought Sancho was more involved.

But bottom line that's another cup chance gone. A tournament that City take more seriously and have won a lot. And more importantly I think there's fewer opportunities now for some of those squad players.
Yeah of course City are winning this trophy for sure so why waste our time playing when we know the end result. :)

Thought VDB played well to be fair, as did Matic. Martial was beyond dreadful. Sancho showed glimpses but ultimately we didn’t have enough to win.

Tbh I am really disappointed. Ole is under massive pressure to win a trophy and he has basically thrown away the easiest one to win. Martial was awful. Yes VDB did ok but thats all he is. Never bad never great, I never feel he does enough to force his way in. Not a fan of Telles, to me all he can do is cross the ball and we had nobody to cross it to.

I have no idea what is going on with Cavani, once again Ole seemed to be saying he was not fit because he knows his own body.

I wouldn't say he's thrown away. He made the changes he had to make. If he plays the same starters he takes pelters later in the year for not making enough changes when the opportunity presented itself. They played a good team who ultimately hit them on the break.

The one thing it did show is... Martial should be absolutely nowhere near the United team. He is beyond dreadful. He needs a move to try and revive his career at this point.

This competition is pointless, you really think if he won this it would shut up the ole out brigade?
Its a pointless cup, hence nearly every side fields a B team

This competition is pointless, you really think if he won this it would shut up the ole out brigade?
Its a pointless cup, hence nearly every side fields a B team
I think there's a balance to be honest with you. I think you need to freshen things up whilst still trying to win it. I don't think there is a huge difference between the league Cup and the FA Cup these days.

It is a trophy. I would be amazed tbh if we were to win the league or the champions league. If we think it is a pointless trophy then they might as well have played Mejbri and Fernandez.

There are certain Ole outers that would complain whatever he did, but winning this trophy and getting top 4 would probably ease a bit of pressure. What he has actually done has increased the pressure on himself.

Ole had to make the changes these lads needed to play and far to many didn’t step up to the challenge, West Ham lads all turned up on the night and put in a performance.

Henderson - thought he was fine made the saves you’d expect him to make no chance on the goal
Dalot - think he made a genuine case to be given more games
Bailly - solid enough but isn’t threatening the first choice
Lindelof - see above
Telles - rusty hasn’t played in month and done easily on the goal unlikely to play often unless Shaw is injured
Matic - played well but was dead after 70 minutes should have been subbed.
VDB - got caught on the goal left his man unmarked attracted to the ball shows his lack of attention to defensive game. Created a few chances and had some good shooting opportunities that he didn’t make the most of.
Mata - why is he even here?
Lingard - best player on the night deserves more chances in the team
Sancho - ok but you expect more from a player with his price tag we saw some flashes but faded at the finish
Martial - shouldn’t be seen in a Utd shirt for a long time

Greenwood - excellent when he came on everything Martial wasn’t, loads of energy tried to force something to happen had a good chance which forced the keeper into a decent save.
Bruno - tried some magic but didn’t come off
Elanga - didn’t really get involved but we were all over the place at the end.

It’s a balancing act, you can’t just pick a full blown first team and you have to trust your squad. Its just that the back up players weren’t good enough tonight and that can happen when you put together a line up who don’t always play with each other.

Also there was enough quality out there tonight to win especially against a side who made 10 changes from the weekend. This isn’t on Ole at all.

I dont think anyone would suggest he picks a full blown first team. However I am certainly not buying into there was enough quality to win the game. Apart from the obvious answer that we did not win the game therefore the quality was not there I think many of these players have proved several times they dont step up.

Is it on Ole? Not fully but he has to take some blame.

You need to give your squad players games we’ve always done it this way tonight it didn’t come off we’ve had bad results like this in the past. A domestic cup means nothing if Utd don’t progress in league and champions league.

No regrets over that side he picked that side is good enough to beat a reserve West Ham side they made 8 or 9 changes as well from the weekend.

They made the most of an early bit of sloppy defending and a ref that couldn't spot an obvious foul on Lingard. They had a few chances on the break when Utd threw everyone forward but it was a close game with very few chances that they just edged.

He’s now got a few free midweeks coming up so chance to work with the players that are good enough and give them some rest.

Martial definitely needs to go. I think VDB is a good enough squad member I just do not see him as a regular starter.

Probably has finished Martial and DVDB United careers
Martial perhaps, VDB did well I thought. I think if he got an extended run ahead of Fred or McT I think he would be more effective in the long run. Ole has his boys though and McFred are the favourites.

It is a trophy. I would be amazed tbh if we were to win the league or the champions league. If we think it is a pointless trophy then they might as well have played Mejbri and Fernandez.
I agree I would prefer to see the young players in these games. But he's got a big squad and he's got to try and keep them all happy. He made 11 changes and every one of the players who came in were recognised players.

I don't think winning the league cup and getting top 4 would have eased the pressure. Winning the league cup, challenging until late in the year for the title and making say the quarters of the CL is really what he needs to do. The league cup wouldn't save him but it would give him a trophy and ultimately that can kick-start more.

27 shots. Sounds like our boys need finishing skills training more than anything else.

This Cup is basically a way to keep the squad players match-fit, and to give youth that bridge between where they are and the first team. As a trophy, I'd rather win it than lose it. I think this has no reflection on Ole.

Martial to be sold in January.

Are people actually criticising Ole for playing a weakened side and not caring about the league cup? Seriously?

It shows how much people have an axe to grind. If we'd won the thing people would be saying it's a mickey mouse cup that means nothing. As we've always thought.

I watched us lose 4-0 to West Ham in the league cup with Spector grabbing a double in the snow. None of us gave a f*ck because the league cup was an excuse to get drunk and go through the song library and we had a great time. Don't start giving me rubbish about this cup mattering one single bit.

I'm genuinely embarrassed for any United fan that pretends to think the league cup second round means anything. We didn't care when we lost 4-1 to MK Dons. Give me a break ffs. Stupid talk.

Imagine the criticism if he took it seriously and went strongest 11. Won the game. You'd be criticising him for taking it seriously. You can't have it each and every way.

The league cup and Europa league didn't save Mourinho from you vultures. So lets not pretend.

I think Ole did what he was supposed to do, put the fringe players in, give minutes to people who should be in contention for the first team (Martial, VDB, Matic, Dalot), and they shit the bed.

I look at other United sites, and so I have seen many people lashing into Ole for this game. I'm not one of them, like I said. Also, I would have liked to progress so that we have more minutes/games for these same players and also youth, that's it. Winning this cup would have been nice but it is the lowest priority out of any that we have.

I think Ole did what he was supposed to do, put the fringe players in, give minutes to people who should be in contention for the first team (Martial, VDB, Matic, Dalot), and they shit the bed.

I look at other United sites, and so I have seen many people lashing into Ole for this game. I'm not one of them, like I said. Also, I would have liked to progress so that we have more minutes/games for these same players and also youth, that's it. Winning this cup would have been nice but it is the lowest priority out of any that we have.

This cup is a lower priority than if i'm going to order a Kebab or a curry for dinner after winning at Poker tomorrow. Winning it wouldn't get anyone off his back so getting on his back for taking it exactly how he should do is nonsense.

Got a soft spot for West Ham(long story) so not over-fussed about the result/performance last night, watching the game unfold always felt if we did get a late equaliser it was written in the stars that Mark Noble would've scored the winning penalties if we did, saying that if it had been the FA Cup would be gutted right now ....

Felt for Donny, the kids obviously talented, just seems like he feels he has to do something 'wow' every time he receives the ball as he fears the hook any minute, he just needs to believe in himself a bit more, relax and play, there's a player there.

Martial looks done at United, thanks for the Liverpool debut goal, and Everton semi-final goal but it's probably time to move on, no hard feelings. Can see him going to a Lyon/Lille/Monaco and becoming the player his early potential suggested he could be.

And yeah, great to see Phil Jones on the bench, would've been great to see him get a few minutes but chasing the game ....

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back