Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread for discussions on Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool in 2017/18.

Rumours seem to be growing around Coutinho leaving this summer either joining Barca to keep Neymar happy as they're mates or joining to replace him if he goes to PSG.

Think it's a big season for Klopp he's had 18 months to get himself settled in and he can't really say it isn't his team now and it feels like the pressure should be on to put a trophy in the cabinet.

I mean top 4, a domestic cup and a decent run in CL might be enough to keep the fans happy but Liverpool fans are very demanding and if they slip back again like they did under Rodgers they might lose patience.

I quite like Klopp think his teams play great football to watch but his kind of comedy character persona keeps the media onside but he needs to start delivering on his reputation.

Premier League: Watford 3-3 Liverpool - 12th August 2017

Played 1
Wins 0
Draws 1
Defeats 0

Premier League: Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace - 19th August 2017

Played 2
Wins 1
Draws 1
Defeats 0

Liverpool's summer: Mohamed Salah, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andrew Robertson, Dominic Solanke.

Think they've done some really good business as much as it pains me to say. If they can keep Coutinho who's a good player for them its a big plus. And it throws 2 fingers up at Barca. You can see that Klopp is building something here. The problem is that defensively there's still loads of mistakes in that back line. The keeper situation hasn't been solved. So there are still issues there, but realistically could they really have got everything in 1 window? Probably not.

I'm pleased the Ox turned down the Chelsea bench to go somewhere and try to play. If he can form something with Henderson then that will only be a good thing for England.

Not a good window for pool imo. They have defensive problems in that team and they addressed it by buying attackers. Creating and scoring was never their problem. Their problem was keeping out the goals.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10 assuming Coutinho stays.

They've made an attempt to solve the LB issue, they've added a quality attacking player in Salah, picked up a talented young kid in Solanke but I think they've taken a bit of a punt on Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I think if they'd signed a CB who's better than Klavan who's the 3rd choice I'd say they'd be looking at 8 out of 10.

Premier League: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool - 9th September 2017

Played 4
Wins 2
Draws 1
Defeats 1

Like I said you cannot fix a leaky defense by buying yet more attacking midfielders.

Champions League: Liverpool 2-2 Sevilla - 13th September 2017

Played 1
Wins 0
Draws 1
Defeats 0

Surely. Klopp has to be under pressure now? It amazes me that everyone in the world of football can see that their defense and keeper isn't good enough. Yet they didn't address it in the window. How can he not see that? He knew early doors that VVD deal was dead where was the back up plan?

Just hasn't embraced how defensive the English game can be and thinks it's all about going forward and 'heavy metal football'. But they've got big problems now.

Thought last night they would have really gone and tried to win this cup because they haven't won anything in an age and fans want any silverware possible. His got to have his job on the line now surely?

It's partly his fault as he won't change his tactics/style to win as he isn't protecting his weak defence he's exposing them and whoever is in charge of the scouting needs to answer questions as the centre back issue could've been resolved I know Van Dijk was the top target but surely there has to be a plan B target if he doesn't come? It seems like there was no one on the list as an alternative it was Van Dijk or no one which suggests the scouting network at Liverpool isn't good enough.

I really don't think the keeper thing is that big an issue Mignolet is a decent keeper enough keeper.

I think there's still a lot of love and goodwill from the fans because he's quite a likeable manager but the pressure will grow if they don't see improvement they still look just as potent going forward especially in big games but they still struggle to break down the weaker sides and they give away loads of cheap goals from set pieces because they don't have the players to defend them. It's simple enough stuff they don't have players who attack the ball so regardless of system man to man or zonal if you don't physically battle for the ball when it comes to you at this level you are dead.

I think with CL this season I think he was prepared to sacrifice the EFL cup this season as he knows he needs the rest weeks.

He gives funny and passionate interviews so he gets a pass.

He has done nothing with Liverpool since he's been there. He has got them into the CL this year but I don't see any major improvements. Obviously if it clicks then they have one hell of a forward line but like you guys said their defence looks woeful at times. They needed a back up to Van Dijk and there is plenty of talent they could have got in. I think Klopp has the mentality of you score 3 and we'll score 4. Not gonna write them off because of Mane, Coutinho, Salah and Firmino fire then they'll win a lot of games and challenge all the rivals. However against the smaller clubs I think they are quite weak mentally.

One thing I've heard Liverpool fans complain about is when they don't make the early break through the players get restless and just start taking pot shots from distance and full backs start throwing the ball in from deep positions rather than trying to play through teams or just knocking it about waiting for someone to make a mistake.

I think we can all agree Liverpool when they are on it are fantastic to watch but these are generally games where the opposition try and play football against them a bit like the old Wenger sides teams have learnt that parking the bus and playing a certain way at Anfield gets you results, a good manager will adapt what his team does to counter that but Klopp doesn't seem prepared to do that.

Mane, Salah, Coutinho and Firminho. BT Sport just called these the 'Fab 4' pass me a bucket! Is that name sticking???

Mane, Salah, Coutinho and Firminho. BT Sport just called these the 'Fab 4' pass me a bucket! Is that name sticking???

BT sport love a pun.

Premier League: Newcastle United 1-1 Liverpool - 1st October 2017

Played 7
Won 3
Drawn 3
Lost 1
Points 12

Newcastle's goal was funny.

He's started taking more and more little digs at the journalists and while this might win him a few points with fans who generally like to see the manager take on the media it might not help him long term, people are really starting to question the tactics and how they expose the team defensively rather than just pointing the finger at individuals especally when he's had time to bring in players who could do what he wants better.

2 Years into his time at Liverpool have they progressed under him? Are they a better side then now then when he took over?

Well the stats doing the rounds would suggest not he's taken less points in 75 games in charge than Rodgers did but Klopp didn't have Luis Suarez but some would argue he does have Coutinho at his very best. Rodgers had 3 seasons in charge and the season either side of the one where they finished 2nd wasn't great think they finished both seasons around 7th. Klopp has finished 7th & 3rd so far plus he got them to the Europa League and League Cup final in his first season where they finished 7th much like Utd last season they sacrificed league position at the end of that season to get to the final.

I think they're a better team than the one he took over but they're not as good as the one Rodgers built that nearly won the league.

This Tottenham game highlights what I was trying to say regarding Liverpool’s defence and being there for the taking if we’d had a bit more attacking intent

Destroyed today by Spurs no real excuses to be had here just completely out classed from the first minute to the last by Spurs.

They can't keep defending like this in big games gifting top sides goals.

They were beyond dreadful. The lack of transfer activity in their defence has been baffling. They got Klavan and Matip last year but they really need a couple of top class centre backs and their goalkeepers are liabilities.

But it’s all fine for Liverpool fans because Klopp has great energy and smiles a lot.

This Tottenham game highlights what I was trying to say regarding Liverpool’s defence and being there for the taking if we’d had a bit more attacking intent

I think away from home they're a different side even Watford scored 3 against them they've been better at home but you do feel like they're there for the taking and the risk might be worth the reward in terms of going for them.

They were beyond dreadful. The lack of transfer activity in their defence has been baffling. They got Klavan and Matip last year but they really need a couple of top class centre backs and their goalkeepers are liabilities.

But it’s all fine for Liverpool fans because Klopp has great energy and smiles a lot.

I get that they wanted Van Dijk and. Couldn't get him but surely there was someone else they could've got instead?

Looked to me like Lovren was injured today he's been playing through the pain all season apparently and it seems like today he couldn't hence why he went off after 30 minutes.

Souness said it months ago at throw ins and set pieces good sides switch on bad sides switch off and Liverpool are a side that switch off all the time when the ball goes dead. Klopp has to sort out the set pieces in this league if you can't defend set pieces you won't get anywhere but they aren't improving at them at all.

Premier League: Liverpool 3-0 Huddersfield Town - 28th October 2017

Played 10
Won 4
Drawn 4
Lost 2
Points 16

Premier League: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton - 18th November 2017

Played 12
Won 6
Drawn 4
Lost 2
Points 22