Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoke City 2-0 Manchester United - 26th November 2015

Crap again, he and Carrick offer feck all when the heat is turned up.

As seven said "crap again". He slows down the play a lot. Surprising that for a small guy he has the turning radius of a dumpster truck.

Derby County 1-3 Manchester United - 29th January 2016

His weaknesses are highlighted in a possession based system.

Better in the second half. Good finish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Manchester United 3-0 Stoke City - 2nd February 2016

Involved in the build up to all the goals.

Better in a counter attacking system.

Amen to that!

I've said for a while now to friends that his lack of pace isn't an issue. It doesn't have to slow the team down just because he's not blessed with pace.

You play him centrally and surround him with pace and he's going to significantly aid the team. His touch, vision and ability to work in tight spaces can bring so much to this team.

Look at the Martial goal the other night as a classic example! His ability to work openings draws in two defenders. He uses a bit of skill to feed Rooney and suddenly there's options. He didn't need pace but the whole attack was played out in the blink of an eye.

Play him on the wing and his pace does become an issue. He becomes isolated and can't influence the game in the same way.

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United - 7th February 2016

Another improved performance.

What a surprise, Louis, playing him centrally improves his performances. Took him only half a year to understand what we all knew.

Sunderland 1-0 Manchester United - 13th February 2016

Why did it take so long for LVG to realise that Mata is much much better in a central position?

Moyes before him never came to the realization either.

He makes things happen with his vision, touches and ability to thread passes through. He isn't blessed with pace but he doesn't need to be. You get quick players around him and he'll use their pace.

Mata has been given opportunities at 10 under Van Gaal, but failed to impress. The change in style of play is an important factor.

Has he been given chances?! I can't recall many... Certainly not on a consistent basis.

But yes I do agree there's been a shift in style that will bring the most out of Mata. Especially with the pace around him and the full backs bombing on.

Not on a consistent basis, but his performance in the position didn't warrant an extended run.

Hmm... I think as a manager your setting yourself up to fail if you don't let certain players have a consistent run.

Schneiderlin is another case where earlier in the season he was providing great protection. Then LVG kept bringing him in and out and now he looks a shadow of that player.

Mata is a form and confidence player in my eyes. Put an arm around him and keep telling him the performances will come and you'll see him grow.

Yeah I'd say either Mata or Martial. Mata was getting in some really good areas and feeding players.

What a save by DDG!!!

FC Midtjylland 2-1 Manchester United - 18th February 2016

Cowardly tackle and atrocious header.

Shrewsbury Town 0-2 Manchester United - 22nd February 2016

So the big question... Onside or not?!

I think it's actually a very clever move so whoever came up with that deserves great credit!

Technically the players aren't interfering with play. The goalkeeper gets distracted by them but isn't that actually his problem? For me the players aren't running towards the ball and aren't gaining an advantage. But I guess if that's against you then you feel hard done by!

Manchester United 3-2 Arsenal - 28th February 2016

He was very good. One of our better players.

I thought he knocked his pan out today. We all know his quality but his work rate was good too.

He was one of our better performers today. But I think tonight was about the result more than the performance. L

Manchester United 1-0 Watford - 2nd March 2016

Bow down to him. What a free kick to win the game!

It was all about the result. With the way the other results went I was praying for any sort of winner. I knew God was a united fan.

Top freekick.

West Bromwich Albion 0-0 Manchester United - 6th March 2016

Incredibly silly.

Silly of him. Pretty poor cards to pick up too. It's not as if they were going anywhere. To pick up two yellows in the opposition half is criminal.

As soon as he got that first yellow, I thought of Smalling's 2 yellows at City but then I thought "it's Mata, when's he going to make a tackle to get sent off..."

It was a bit stupid but I also felt for him. Halfway through he knew what was going to happen and tried to pull out.

Don't think he can have too many complaints really. He gave the referee a decision to make which in that area of the field was needless.

He didn't need to make a tackle there and it's probably cost us at least a point.

It was a bit stupid but I also felt for him. Halfway through he knew what was going to happen and tried to pull out.

Yeah I did feel for him because it looked like he tried to pull out of the tackle last minute. But that gave the referee a decision to make which really shouldn't have been the case.

Liverpool 2-0 Manchester United - 10th March 2016

He's so weak and slow, somebody put him on a strength and conditioning course ffs how can the staff not see this.

Give him whatever Sharapova is on too.

Yeah, he did look slow and weak. The midfield two had an impact on his performance.

He's so weak and slow, somebody put him on a strength and conditioning course ffs how can the staff not see this.

Give him whatever Sharapova is on too.

See its interesting...

I've never been blessed with great speed. I'm fairly quick but not lightening... But I recently got myself a PT to get in great shape. In doing that he's identified that I'm a slow twitch muscle person so he's trying to improve my fast twitch whilst also improving my strength.

In the 5 weeks I've been working with him I assure you I've found a new gear. I played football on Tuesday with some friends and they all commented that I seemed quicker. So it is possible!

Mata is never going to be a quick player or the strongest but you can work on it! If I can work full time and yet still improve a lot in 5 weeks imagine what he can do with all the right people around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back