Joe Hugill

Sideshow Bob

16 year old striker who has scored two goals on U18s debut and now two goals on his U23s debut.

Looks a real unit up top and he’s still only 16. Got really good technique already - he is definitely one to watch. Obviously will bulk up as well so very good signs early on. Could be our very own Haaland!

Certainly knows his way to the goal. He has a refreshingly simplistic game. Out of procession he works hard across the front line putting central defenders under pressure. In procession he looks to get behind the back line and into the box. Doesn't look a technically great player but seems to understand his role.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hugill should be training with the first team. He's ready for the next step, and we have a shortage of actual number 9s. I didn't realize he was as young as he is (18 this October). With that in mind, it would be great if he were able to get a senior appearance, but another season in the U23 set up or a loan to a team where he'll play against tougher opposition would really help him.

Hugill should be training with the first team. He's ready for the next step, and we have a shortage of actual number 9s. I didn't realize he was as young as he is (18 this October). With that in mind, it would be great if he were able to get a senior appearance, but another season in the U23 set up or a loan to a team where he'll play against tougher opposition would really help him.
Yeah don’t think we will be seeing him this season or maybe even next. He’s still a young guy and he is progressing well but another season in the u23’s will serve him well. He needs to fill out a bit more and get a little stronger - as right now I think in the seniors he may get bullied a little. Exciting prospect though.

It's interesting watching the U18 and U23 matches. Many of our players look so much better than the opposition. They need to be pushed, and they need to be in the middle, not the top, so that they are constantly striving to get better. I think when we see someone like Gomes or Chong boss the youth games and then be completely blunt against men, it's because they got comfortable being the best. If Gomes and Chong had been loaned out earlier to clubs where they would at least be playing it might have made the difference for them.

With several of our players, like Hugill, they are too good for the current system they are in. LVG would have half that U23 side already featured in senior matches, lol.

This season because of Covid it isn’t as easy to bring the kids up to first team training because they keep them in separate bubbles.

The quality of U23 football is poor because the best U23 players are either first team players or out on loan so players do look like stars at that level but the gap from that level to the first team is huge.

That’s why I think it’s vital the lads get out on loan and play first team football as early as possible.

Surprised he hasn’t been given an opportunity given the lack of options.

When he plays U21 does he look miles better than everyone else?

Yeah I wouldn’t say he stands out and his loan spell at Altrincham was a little underwhelming, albeit from a small sample size of games.

It’s hard to tell with young players, you would have bet on James Wilson making it here after his brilliance in the youth teams. I don’t really see it with Hugill or McNeill to be honest.

probably explains why he’s not been used ahead of Martial off the bench.

I guess the question is will he be a late bloomer or is he just not quite good enough.

He'll never be a prolific scorer at whatever level he eventually plays at but if you want a centre-forward to do what you'd expect him to do ie. work the back-four, run the channels on instinct etc etc he's your man, it was obvious when he first joined as a 16 year that he'd been listened to his coaches and took onboard all the unselfish stuff that was needed to progress in the game.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back