Jadon Sancho | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

He was ice cold in the box when it mattered. My favourite thing about his finish was Bruno demanding he shot. He's got two goals in similar style in big games. Him being an ice cold finisher. He's the best player we have on the ball in front of goal.

I know people will say Ronaldo. But I don't think Ronnie does what Sancho did against Chelsea or today. I just mean in terms of being pure ice cold.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think where he can improve bit like Rashford/Martial is that aggression needed to get the first time finish goals on crosses and really attack those balls that fly across the box. That is what a guy like Ronaldo does and that's why he has 800 odd goals to his name.

He was excellent last night composure on the ball but also the work rate chased back with Robertson all night put a massive shift in for the team.

Was good, very good at times last night, but he shouldn't need the thought of Antony and/or Gakpo coming in to take his place to motivate him to produce to that level.

Premier League: Leicester City 0-1 Manchester United - 1st September 2022

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice goal but in a lot of games he's fading after about an hour he needs to up his fitness levels in my opinion.

Yeah nice goal but thought he was a little sloppy in his control as well last night. He’s usually so hot with his first touch but it was a little awry last night.

He does tend to still drift in and out of games, think he’s got to show a bit more character on the pitch but got no worries over him.

I think the more we have the ball the better he will be I don't think he's suits a team that isn't dominating the ball for long periods.

He's so skillful and clever but he isn't actually that quick so he isn't going to run away from players in a counter in the way Rashford can.

When we're sort of bunkered in defending there isn't really much he can offer and he does kind of disappear.

I think going forward we'll see him starting a lot of games and Rashford being the impact sub especially if we're ahead in games.

Sancho isn't the type of player to create everything on his own, he is at his best when he's built up a relationship with somebody and can play off of them. This hasn't happened for him yet, because Rashford and Martial have been so poor, but I have high hopes that playing Antony on the right will see Sancho flourish.

Great build up with Erickson pulling the strings. Deserved the great finish it got. Not so much the shot, but the vision and the quick feet. Sancho seems our best (only) finisher at the moment.

Was unlucky not to get a second when that one was cleared off the line.

He looks much improved hopefully there's still more to come.

He does not deserve to start on Sunday as Rashford and Martial had great impact when they came on today. I don't know how much longer EtH will tolerate Sancho's poor work rate and tracking back, in the long term.

Form has dipped since the international break all that momentum he'd built up in those first few weeks is gone.

He's a very strange player rarely do the team play badly but he plays well or the team plays badly but he plays badly.

He isn't a particularly intense or aggressive player he's very passive so if he's not getting the ball he just drifts out of the game.

Right now I think Rashford starts ahead of him. Rashford isn't perfect but he still works harder than Sancho especially in the wide areas.

Far too much money too soon, he just doesn't looked arsed. Needs binning to the 21s for a few months to see if he can get his mojo back.

Just don't think he suits our playing style he's not a counter attack player he is a player that can open up a packed defence when you are dominating the ball.

In an end to end game I don't think he's got the speed required to be a success as he can't really out run an opponent and going backwards he just isn't interested.

Hopefully ETH can work with him and find the key to unlocking the potential as it's a squad game and we will need him at points during the season. He might be a player who's deployed against certain opponents rather than picked every week.

For example yesterday was not a game for Sancho and he was rightly left on the bench.

All of our wingers excel at different things. Rashford is a speed merchant. Antony loves a dribble. Sancho plays little triangles and can finish. It seems like he needs a system designed to create movement so he can play off others. Ronaldo doesn't really offer that, nor does Malacia. He plays better when Shaw makes those overlapping runs. Having said that, totally agree that he can go missing at the first sign of a setback or somebody getting stuck into him.

Too bad because he was a cracking player at Dortmund and was exactly what we needed. Until we got him.

Think his chances to play out-wide will be limited, and be interesting to see if we try and develop him as a striker, or more likely a false nine.

With the whole team playing so well tonight, it was the perfect opportunity to play himself into form even if what he tried was unsuccessful. It was an ok performance.

Looks like a very expensive spare part at the moment.

That break seems to have killed all the momentum he'd built up.

got a fair few of those at the moment. Luckily ETH is filtering

True but Sancho is one he actually needs we're very short of attacking options this season. Hopefully he can get him going but he just looks like he isn't up to the premier league standard.

He is an insanely gifted footballer but he lacks the acceleration needed to get away from players once he's beaten them. I also don't think he works hard enough defensively. He's good at pressing but he rarely tracks back which is why whenever we're ahead he's one of the first people that the manager hooks.

Given his transfer fee and wages we should be seeing a lot more from him.

Errr, this opposes your view on Maguire

No it doesn't. Maguire gave us 2 good seasons before his form last season dropped off a cliff and he's no longer in the team as a result. Unless he gets back to the level we saw in his first 2 seasons he won't be getting back in the team any time soon as the current pairing is getting stronger and stronger.

Sancho has been here nearly 18 months and I'd say we've maybe had 10 good performances out of him in his 50 games so far and we are yet to see a great one. Seems to like a goal in the big games but I'm struggling to remember one game where you can say he was the difference between the two teams. Scored some lovely goals but in terms of influence on matches even in a good game it's a 10-15 minute spell then he dissapears.

Sancho still provided the assist yesterday with a moment of cool headedness that slowed the game down and then offered the ball to Fred on a plate. When everyone around you is playing at 100mph the ability to slow it down and be calm is a good one.

He wasn't great yesterday but he didn't have a shocker and was important in the build up to the goal.

No it doesn't. Maguire gave us 2 good seasons before his form last season dropped off a cliff and he's no longer in the team as a result. Unless he gets back to the level we saw in his first 2 seasons he won't be getting back in the team any time soon as the current pairing is getting stronger and stronger.

Sancho has been here nearly 18 months and I'd say we've maybe had 10 good performances out of him in his 50 games so far and we are yet to see a great one. Seems to like a goal in the big games but I'm struggling to remember one game where you can say he was the difference between the two teams. Scored some lovely goals but in terms of influence on matches even in a good game it's a 10-15 minute spell then he dissapears.
You need to forget the price that’s not on him to be judged the price paid is where you judge the board/manager they are the ones that agreed it not him.

-----------------

That's what you said about Maguire. So you can't go using Sancho's price against him

You need to forget the price that’s not on him to be judged the price paid is where you judge the board/manager they are the ones that agreed it not him.

-----------------

That's what you said about Maguire. So you can't go using Sancho's price against him

Got anything else bookmarked for an argument about Maguire?

Fair point if you want to clip one sentence from that whole post. My point as always is these boys didn't set these prices but unlike Maguire I think the price we paid for him was justified. When we was signed he was one of the brightest talents in world football and as a result we paid a big fee for him.

To get it back on track Sancho needs to start having more of an impact on games week in week out if he wants to be in the team.

His form since the break has dropped off again which is a problem he has got to find a way of having a more consistent impact on games rather than drifting through them if he wants to survive at the top level.

haha

No, I just remember saying he was a waste of money, and you said money didn't come into it. Which I thought was an odd thing to say. Because of course it does.

I think Sancho is doing alright, there are a lot of changes going on, and all the players seem to be blowing hot and cold from game to game. You can read Rashford thread, one week he needs selling, the next he is the best thing since sliced bread.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back