If not Solskjaer, then who?

If Poch was that desperate he'd have resigned this morning.
He'd be stupid, especially being a family man, to leave his job without an almost certainty of another to take its place

We don't know what's being said or to whom. We are assuming that United are interested. Big assumption.

Don't let your anti-Pochness get in the way.

He'd be stupid, especially being a family man, to leave his job without an almost certainty of another to take its place

We don't know what's being said or to whom. We are assuming that United are interested. Big assumption.

Don't let your anti-Pochness get in the way.

My assumption would be that he'd had contact with United not that he was being made jobless.

Absolutely nothing to do with being anti-Poch the reality of it is if he wants the job and is 'desperate' he could resign if United put a contract on the table for him.

Any anti Poch stuff you've said regarding the above is rubbish. I'm assuming therefore you don't think he could possible resign if he's desperate for the job and United have made an offer?

Anything can happen with an offer though, there could be a break down over terms, we could suddenly change our mind. Absolutely no reason to resign, nothing is certain until it’s signed on the dotted line.

Well the obvious reason would be that he's 'desperate' I didn't say he should resign just thar he's clearly not desperate for the job or he would. Football managers don't do it now days but you used to get them resigning from the role. Now days the payouts are the important thing. Did you listen to his interview yesterday?

It's long been known Poch wants the United job. That's not news.

What I was trying to imply, if he'd been approached, and said he wants to finish the season. United have said ok we'll appoint an interim, he nails it. Poch will be gutted

I don't think the fact he won't just down tools on a club he played for and is managing is any reflection on how much he wants the United job. It's just good manners

Has it been stated that he'll only get the job if he resigns? If not, your point is moot.
Isn't it all speculation at the moment? My point is if it's not willing to resign to join United now then does he really want it that badly?

I'm not going to make the mistake to talk. Everything we will say in a way, in the past when I was at Espanyol and my dream was to meet Ferguson, all that, I can tell now it's going to be misunderstood and out of context.

"I am so happy at PSG, I am focused to try and give my best. I was a player at PSG, I love the club, I love the fans, it's a fantastic time to be at the club.

"I think I was clear. I said to you all that my contract is until 2023. It is this season and one season more. I am really happy at Paris Saint-Germain. That is a fact. The fact is I am happy in Paris."

Do these really sound the words of a man whose desperate to leave and me suggesting otherwise is anti-Poch?

The harsh reality is are we really a bigger draw than PSG at the moment?

He's got the best squad he'll possible ever manage and a great chance to get his hands on the Champions League trophy or he could come here and fight with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th.

The harsh reality is are we really a bigger draw than PSG at the moment?

He's got the best squad he'll possible ever manage and a great chance to get his hands on the Champions League trophy or he could come here and fight with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th.
So are united a bigger draw? I think yes in terms of the project and the potential. PSG have a better team right now and of course are likely to walk the league and have a really good chance to win the CL.

But there's also unrealistic expectations on the PSG manager (or so we are led to believe) and we also hear that Poch doesn't have a great relationship with Leonardo. So I could completely understand if Poch wanted the United job over PSG.

United are a bigger draw of course, it's much name in football, and he gets more control over the football he wants to play and who plays it.

But he's not just going to walk out and slur his name in Paris. He is on the verge of his first ever trophy too. And he's not going to sit at a press conference and say he wants to leave or even imply that.

But he does take the risk that Valverde earns the job full time.

Andy Mitten was just saying he knows that united have interviewed several managers, confirmed Valberde was one, who have had success in Europe for the interim post. And that although it's not an appealing post (interim) a lot of them will be thinking if they do well then they can get the job full time.

It could be the case that United know who they want and can get them at the end of the season, hence the interim approach.

Maybe it's Poch, maybe Ten Hag. Both would be positive appointments. Ten Hag would be the more left field given his lack of coaching outside of Ajax. Plus he's supported in his work there by Van Der Sar, Overmaars and Danny Blind. He won't have that pedigree of support at United.

Poch just seems the solid choice at the moment.

If Poch was that desperate he'd have resigned this morning.

Pretty sure if he resigns he will face financial penalties from PSG unless they accepted his resignation they could even force him to work notice periods or these contracts can stop you from working elsewhere for periods of time.

Also, resigning the day before a key CL game wouldn't exactly be a good look would it?

His agent has clearly given Utd the nudge to say it's on if you want it but Utd will need to go to PSG and work out a deal as it's not just as simple as resigning when you are working under fixed term contracts.

From the reporting I've read PSG would be willing to talk but they need Utd need to actually make contact for them to start looking into making changes as they don't really want to make a change mid season.

What we've learned from history is PSG don't like being messed with so Utd need to tread carefully and make sure they aren't caught tapping up Poch if they want to make an approach do it through the proper means and show some respect.

It seems pretty clear that the noise is coming from Poch's people he wants the job and he's willing to leave PSG now to take it if he has to but that will require Utd coming to an agreement with PSG. They're only going to let him go if they've got a ready made replacement lined up and there's no guarantee that Zidane would want to take it mid season.

Pretty sure if he resigns he will face financial penalties from PSG unless they accepted his resignation they could even force him to work notice periods or these contracts can stop you from working elsewhere for periods of time.

Also, resigning the day before a key CL game wouldn't exactly be a good look would it?

His agent has clearly given Utd the nudge to say it's on if you want it but Utd will need to go to PSG and work out a deal as it's not just as simple as resigning when you are working under fixed term contracts.

If he'd had word from United we wanted him and the offer is in place. Then United would be the party facing the financial penalties. But the penalties will be similar in 6 months time anyway. Same as Pardew leaving Reading to West Ham.

If he'd had word from United we wanted him and the offer is in place. Then United would be the party facing the financial penalties. But the penalties will be similar in 6 months time anyway. Same as Pardew leaving Reading to West Ham.

Utd can't be caught being sneaky though PSG have shown in the past they will not be bullied they've just written off 150m to keep Mbappe for another year. The rumour is they signed Neymar for 200m in retaliation to Barca trying to tap up Veratti.

Utd need to go to PSG and look to do a deal that releases Pochetinno from his current contract just like signing a player Pochetinno can't just resign and go and start at Utd tomorrow. His contract will have notice periods in it and PSG could force him to work his notice period even if they just put him on gardening leave and pay him up to the end of the season.

It's likely a deal in the summer will be cheaper than it is now as it's less disruptive to PSG and his remaining contract will also be down to 12 months rather than 18 months. They also might sack him at the end of the season in fact it seems very unlikely that he's in charge next season so if that happens Utd don't have to pay any compensation to PSG.

If he's the man and it'll cost us £10-15m to get him now then I say pay it and get the deal done but if PSG say no we're then stuck looking at interims.

PSG can't do what they done to Barca though and if they want to pay come over the odds for one of our players come and do it.

I get it's not simple but if Poch wanted to make the move that desperate then we'd be getting Poch I just don't see him as desperate to come. And also don't see why he would be.

I'm not sating it's complicated either I'm just saying Utd need to act properly if they want to do it they obviously aren't going to make an approach to PSG unless they know Poch wants to make the move. Talk to PSG and see if they're open to doing a deal if they're not then we have to look for an interim.

The logic for the move could only be his happiness he's clearly got a difficult working relationship with the sporting director who signs all the players including ones he didn't really want and he's then got to try and keep a team of mega stars happy. These mega stars all seem to be enjoying the paris nightlife and don't really seem that arsed in league games.

Winning the league title might be nice but no one will really give him much credit for winning it as for the CL he probably knows that they've got no chance as they just won't play as a team it's all about individual glory.

PSG could be interested, some inside think installing ZZ might help Mbappe to sign. Seems unlikely to me though.

I do wonder if this interim talk is trying to push Poch.

Think the Zidane stuff is just speculation on the basis that he did some work with Qatar before with their world cup bid.

He's out of work and lives in Madrid with his family he never seemed that desperate to be a manager so will he want to actually go into PSG and be their manager or is he happy just spending time with his family?

One of his major frustrations at Madrid was him not always getting his own way and it's clear at PSG the manager doesn't get much say and unlike Madrid I don't think they've got a squad of brilliant professionals it seems like they've got a squad of d*ckheads.

Think Utd just need to have all bases covered they clearly didn't have the plan B in place when Ole was sacked so now it's a bit of a scramble to get something in place quickly to try and recover the season and make sure we at least finish in the top 4.

I've seen several reports he wants the PSG job or the France job.

Of course no-one really knows whats true and what not about anything in football, but thats is what's out there. And the fact he'e learning English would indicate he wants to manage in the prem at some point. Maybe he's eying City

Yeah you probably see more stuff about him in France but what gets reported here is he's not really interested in managing in England full stop.

Most of the talk seems to be he's waiting for the France job he might think that international management suits him better than club management didn't seem like he really enjoyed being the Madrid manager.

Reports are PSG have told us they aren't willing to let Poch leave immediately.

Utd's are looking at a number of interim options

Ernesto Valverde, Rudi Garcia, Lucien Favre and Ralf Ragnick seem to be the names on that list.

Can't see Ragnick as he's already got a job the others are all currently out of work so they might be willing to accept a short term offer

I saw one report that said our offer wasn't accepted, and they didn't want to talk on the eve of a CL game. Not that it had been ruled out completely

Seen a few reporting that PSG don't think it looks good if they lose their manager mid season to another club. The relationship with Poch might not be perfect but feels like they're willing to stick with it to the end of the season.

Can't really think of another example where a "big club" has sacked their manager mid season and been able to get another manager out of another "big club."

PSG might not historically be one of the big clubs but on recent history they are a big club that expect to dominate domestically and challenge for the European Cup every season.

Doesn't really look good for them if a rival can come along and take your manager mid season.

Feels to me like this is something that will get done in the summer and Utd probably knew that which could explain why they suggested an interim to start with.

Ragnick apparently interested in an interim role but only if he is given a senior position within the club at the end of the season.

Hard to see that happening.

Murtough and Fletcher are apparently heading up the search but the final appointment will need to be approved by Woodward and Joel Glazer.

Ragnick apparently interested in an interim role but only if he is given a senior position within the club at the end of the season.

Hard to see that happening.

Murtough and Fletcher are apparently heading up the search but the final appointment will need to be approved by Woodward and Joel Glazer.
That's 100% what should happen but it won't. Doesn't fit with the jobs for the boys theme.

That's 100% what should happen but it won't. Doesn't fit with the jobs for the boys theme.

Well does Murtough deserve to lose his job because a guy he didn’t appoint failed?

My concern would be how well does Ragnick genius shine at a huge club or does he need to work from an underdog situation.

Well does Murtough deserve to lose his job because a guy he didn’t appoint failed?
Murtough was promoted from within though wasn't he? He shouldn't be in the position he's in and nor should Fletcher.

Anyway, who would you guys bring in long term? Poch or Ten Haag? I'd go Ten Haag as I think he's a future star manager. I could see him ending up at City in a few years and being a fantastic manager for them.

My concern would be how well does Ragnick genius shine at a huge club or does he need to work from an underdog situation.
His reputation was mainly built by building the foundations for all the Red Bull football stable, not just in terms of sporting achievement, but in corporate structures as well. The guy is probably one of the best footballing business brains out there.

Poch seems to get beat by Klopp and Pep
I just look back when United missed out or passed on Klopp, Pep and Tuchel. Any of those could have been United managers yet none of them are. I think Ten Haag could be special and so I think that's the guy to go for. He may not work out but at least try.

I like Poch, I was behind United getting Poch in before Ole but I think Ten Haag has a higher ceiling.

Murtough was promoted from within though wasn't he? He shouldn't be in the position he's in and nor should Fletcher.

Anyway, who would you guys bring in long term? Poch or Ten Haag? I'd go Ten Haag as I think he's a future star manager. I could see him ending up at City in a few years and being a fantastic manager for them.

He was but he was promoted for doing some good work within the academy structure apparently he played a big role in the recruitment of some of the european lads who've come into the academy.

I'd give Poch a chance there's no real proven candidate on the market so whoever we go with we are gambling so for me his PL experience tips him ahead of Ten Haag. My worry with Ten Haag is he's in the perfect environment for him I just don't think Utd is anything like what he's dealing with currently. Poch I think did a good job at Spurs even if it did fall apart at the end with a bit more financial support I'd like to see what he can do.

It's hard to really judge him on PSG there's some deep rooted problems in that club the manager isn't really in charge the players are running the show so it's hard to see how he can really influence that.

Ten Hag is my favourite but he is a huge risk, didn't De Boer look good at Ajax and flop in the prem? But he did win again in the CL last night.

Poch is probably the safe option, not sure we will anything with him though, he can't seem to win those big matches.

I do hope they have at least tried to talk to Flick.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back