How long do we give Solskjaer?

Years ago any manager would have jumped at the chance to manage United regardless of what time of year it was.
Well that was not really the answer to my question but we are not years ago. It has become a much more global game with a lot more money in it.

Well that was not really the answer to my question but we are not years ago. It has become a much more global game with a lot more money in it.
Right so my point was... United have fallen. They can't attract the top managers. If Ten Haag was their man and he wanted the job he wouldn't hesitate to leave Ajax.

The simple reality is... If United want to compete they need to change the manager. That's a fact. They cannot continue with Ole as manager because things aren't going to change. Sorry he's a nice guy and a club legend but he's out of his depth.

Right so my point was... United have fallen. They can't attract the top managers. If Ten Haag was their man and he wanted the job he wouldn't hesitate to leave Ajax.

The simple reality is... If United want to compete they need to change the manager. That's a fact. They cannot continue with Ole as manager because things aren't going to change. Sorry he's a nice guy and a club legend but he's out of his depth.
There are now very few people on here you are arguing with in terms of Ole being replaced. Our last two coaches have been LVG and Jose, who were very well respected. Pretty sure if United wanted to get Rodgers or Ten Haag they would probably get them, they just might have to wait to the end of the season.

Ok. I would argue that we do not need two people doing that. Secondly what vision and style are we trying to achieve?

I feel we are seeing precious little of that at United.
Sorry, I didn't understand your first point. Are you referring to Murtough and Fletcher?

I'm not sure we're organised enough currently to have a distinct style. What I'd hope is that it's being worked on in the background so we don't have to rely solely on the next coach to work things out.

Sorry, I didn't understand your first point. Are you referring to Murtough and Fletcher?

I'm not sure we're organised enough currently to have a distinct style. What I'd hope is that it's being worked on in the background so we don't have to rely solely on the next coach to work things out.
You did not misunderstand because I am not sure I truly understood what our definition of a DOF is in comparison to other teams.

I always struggle with the way the hierarchy is structure at United to be honest.

Incidentally what would you say the job description of a director of football is?

Well the basic structure is Joel Glazer is in overall charge under him is Woodward (he’s about to be replaced by Richard Arnold) he is much more hands on in the day to day running of the club as it’s his full time job. You then have Richard Arnold who’s running the commercial side and John Murtagh who's then in charge of the football side of things. I think the club were quite clear when he was appointed that he is not a director of football.

Director of Football is a European title as a lot of their clubs are multi sports clubs. So Barcelona also run pro Basketball and volleyball teams so the president is in charge of the whole club. The director of football then has total responsibility for the football club within the sports club. Normally they are responsible for hiring and firing of coaches and also the recruitment/sale of players and decision on contract renewals.

Utd’s structure is designed to keep all power and control with the owners there’s very little power down the pyramid.

Ten Hag will come IF they pay him enough. It's that simple. Keep upping the amount until he says yes. If he is the one to save us, it's worth every penny. Almost any manager would want the United job. For Ten Hag, he has commitments and promises he's made, etc., so we need to smooth that out with some extra cash.

I had something similar where I was made an offer to jump ship from one job to another one that was paying an absolute ton more. The previous people literally cussed me out and threatened me, but because the new paycheck was so grand I didn't care. That's what we need to do for Ten Hag. Put on our Big Club pants and start acting like it.

Why would a manager wait, have no CL and make recruitment difficult. I'm not sure I'm having that. It's not like we're half way through the season with no chance.

Taking a manager who's already in a job is always tricky I feel like it doesn't really happen that often anymore as it's always a difficult negotiation and during the season it's even tough. Trying to think who the last big appointment in the PL would be where the manager was taken out of another club. Clubs tend to appoint people who are out of work there was a bit one in the summer Bayern had to pay about £20m to get Naggelsmann out of his deal at Leipzig.

If Utd have chucked the towel in on Ole they just need to sort it now give the new guy the rest of the season to bed in then go for it next season. I can't go through another 2 years of overhauling the squad and building BS. The stage is done whoever comes in now needs to be able to sort out this mess in one summer transfer window get the players we need and go for a title.

The next guy might want to wait until the summer where he can really address the problems. There's a few players who are almost certain to leave in the summer Pogba, Cavani, Lingard all on expiring contracts there's a few others who clearly also need to leave so the new guy might want to wait until all that happens before arriving.

All the journalists seem to be reporting that Utd aren't even flinching there's no indication at all that Ole will be off they remain 100% behind him.

Few whispers that some of players are getting fed up with the level of coaching the name leaking this morning was Bruno.

Ok, but it doesn't address the problem I mentioned, we're missing top 4. That restricts players coming in and the choice of manager.

If we want say ten Hag, offer him a load of money, pay off Ajax and get on with it. We'll be saving 300 grand a week when Pogba goes.

We could find the money to get Ronaldo who we didn't even need, so don't give me (the board not you) that we can't pay off Ole and buy a manager.

It's an absolute disgrace if this doesn't get resolved this break. I'd even take on a caretaker for the year if it really is that much of a problem. But really the club should just spend the money. We miss top 4 and we are in big trouble, we're losing Pogba and our midfield is a horror show. To get the players we need, we need CL football.

Is Ten Hag the right man though?

Does Ten Hag work outside of Ajax?

Does Ten Had work without Overmars and Van Der Sar?

I don't watch Ajax play but if they play anything like the Ajax style that's a style of football we've only ever seen once at Utd under LVG and it was a disaster. Who at the club can look at these players and say they can play that Ajax style?

Will his style work in the PL?

Does he even want the job?

I agree if we're making a change do it now the clock is ticking every day Ole remains in that job is another day wasted but this list of replacements should still be in the draw from the previous disaster spells where Ole's was under serious pressure and survived.

Jan 2020 when we lost to Sheff Utd
Dec 2020 after we go out of the CL in the group
May 2021 losing the europa league final

Whoever they have at the top of the list, I just said ten Hag because I'd like to see him. But just replace him with Mr X in my post. The person wasn't the point.

I really don't know how 2 days on he's still in the job. And he's going to stay in the job for a lot longer. Long enough to get some positive results and quieten the doubts. Until the next bad run.

Just think we have to accept that there isn't even a list of replacements it's pretty clear that the powers that be are happy with Ole until he finishes 5th.

The top execs at this club don't give two sh*ts about winning they're happy to keep blundering along with a guy who everyone can see isn't up to the task. There is literally nothing I've seen from this side in 18 months that has made me think we any nearer winning the title than we were when Liverpool won it.

Yeah we've got a dogs dinner of a midfield but we've also got a manager who no other side in our league would appoint given the opportunity. The manager with the biggest job in the country is one of the least qualified and least in demand managers in football. Work that one out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Villa and Norwich stats. Haha. Such a bad period you've got to find the funny side. Do love fan denial. We are on it a lot recently unfortunately.

"I've been in contact and communicated with the club as I do all the time," Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday.

"The players, the staff, myself, the club; we are working to one goal to improve, get better results.

"The fans are still supporting the team and the club, they've been through this period, backed the team through the rebuild. When you lose a game you're always disappointed and under pressure, we've been communicating openly and honestly."

From those words he clearly doesn't sound like he's under pressure or that he's going anywhere.

He's going nowhere because Woodward and the board are clueless. They've backed him so hard at this point they don't know where to go. If they make the wrong appointment after Ole they could undo 3 years of building and a lot of money spent.

Why wait until the next game?

Beating Watford means nothing.

Twice in a week he’s ditched his new 3-4-1-2 system by half time it clearly isn’t going to work against a half decent team.

If this club was serious about winning he’d be gone by Monday but they aren’t and he will keep his job.

The performances are somehow worse than the results it is game over for him.

Even if we'd beaten Liverpool there was a high probability that we'd have started 3-5-2 against City as we've had success playing that system against them and Chelsea(who most would class as half decent teams) in the recent past so it was no real surprise when we played that system verses Tottenham in preparation, and the reason we changed it twice was because when Varane went off injured against Atalanta late in the first-half we didn't have another centre-back on the bench to replace him, that and the fact given a choice Ole would've played a flat back four in that game if City wasn't the next game anyway so it made sense to switch to a four when Varane went off, and then he(Ole)had no choice to switch against City when we were 0-2 down to try and get some control of the midfield after we gifted City both goals, neither which was as a result of the system we started with.

It's not about the club not wanting to win, that's nonsense, Ole has got plenty of credit in the bank with those tasked with making the big decisions and they won't bin him off just because of a few dodgy results after the progress that he's made in the last two years, and rightly so.

Where’s Fletcher and Murtough in this decision making process?

These two where appointed football directors within this new structure.

There’s no shame in sacking a manager there is shame in not having the bottle to sack a manager.

Here's an idea, maybe they've both decided that Ole deserves more time.

You have to chuckle when Ole says we’ve been working hard on the training pitch. I would like to know what? How to be even worse than the week before?

I expect Carrick to see out the rest of the season. Gutted. He could afford to lose to Chelsea but not this game this was a get right game.

How can you put Carrick in charge?

He’s been a coach in two under performing sides this whole lot need to go this side look pathetic.

If they don't sack him now they aren't going to.

I don't particularly want him, he's about 4th on my list but get in Zidane

So we are waiting until December 2022?

I don’t even know where they go as I said they bottled it with Conte and now they’ve left themselves no easy outs with Ole.

This has to be the final straw really? He has had plenty of time after the Liverpool and City defeats to implement something but he clearly doesn’t know how to arrest this slide. Has to go right now.

He's available and better than we have. Why do you want to wait another year?

I do wonder what Carrick is whispering to Ole in games? It must be how have we still got a job surely?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back