How long do we give Solskjaer?

I'm just not sure Cheslea are that much of a draw, maybe after the CL win.

I think if they (Glazers) resign Pogba, get Sancho, Varane, we suddenly start to look a good option.

But that CM spot really bothers me the most.

Pretty sure (although memory isn't my greatest ally these days) Kane referenced Chelsea and City in the CL final when talking about winning things. If the rumours of another 250m to spend this summer are true, Kane plus 100m puts them streets ahead of us.

Now, Pogba, Sancho, Varane plus Kane and things are looking very different. LOL

As for improvements Ole is the first manager in the post Fergie era to achieve improved results in back to back seasons. The feeling around the club has definitely improved and there is a feel good factor. You want to sack the manager that's just finished second but you've no clue who you want to bring in next.

Ole's job isn't even up for discussion at the moment. He's much more likely to get an improved contract that he is to get the sack.
Good point we have tried hiring and firing. United as a club need longevity Ole has made mistakes but is definitely growing into the job. The owners are the problem no proper strategy happy to get top 4 and then if it looks like we are struggling only then throw silly money at it

Good point we have tried hiring and firing. United as a club need longevity Ole has made mistakes but is definitely growing into the job. The owners are the problem no proper strategy happy to get top 4 and then if it looks like we are struggling only then throw silly money at it
So Ole is the answer ?

2024 with the option an extra year is the answer at the moment.

Ole signs a new 3+1 year option contract.

As much as I loved him as a player, I still don't think he has the experience and nous required for the job. People talk about "progress" but I don't think we've moved much from where we were we he came in. Some very good results, and some very, very poor ones. He just doesnt seem to have more than one tactic and one set-up. Not sure he attracts the biggest names to the club either...

I'm aware that the game at QPR barely involved a first-choice player but I'd hoped the youngsters would have been good enough to win that sort of game.

Failure to really challenge for a trophy this season, will seal it for me and we should look elsewhere

i am not convinced that Ole has what it takes to take us to the next level, but he does deserve another season. I believe he has progressed us, maybe slower than we want, but still progression. He had a massive job at the beginning just stabilising the club after the Jose years. He then had players left from 3 different managers with 3 different styles of play. He has now got them into a position where, providing he get the players this window, he has the players he wants. A very big year for him though.

QPR game was nothing to be worried about. There was probably one player that would making the starting 11 and probably only 4 or 5 that would make the 2nd 11. I would have liked to see a better impact from some of the kids but it goes some way to deciding their futures, ie stay, go or loan. Plus some of those players are very young and have a couple of years development before we write them off.

If we start the season having sold Pogba and with Lindelof and Fred has part of that spine I see us coming up short again.

If we start the season having sold Pogba and with Lindelof and Fred has part of that spine I see us coming up short again.
If we sell Pogba we really need to buy a replacement. The positive thing is that the incoming midfield player can be better suited to the formation we play. Tbh I would see that as the best option.

If we sell Pogba we really need to buy a replacement. The positive thing is that the incoming midfield player can be better suited to the formation we play. Tbh I would see that as the best option.

Based on last season we’ve arguably replaced Pogba with Sancho as Pogba was very rarely used in centre mid after the first few games of the season spent most of his season on the wing. I think at this point Pogba just has to go he’s to big a distraction for what he delivers he just isn’t worth the effort anymore I’m just don’t with him.

Think most are on the same page with Ole he inherited an absolute mess of a club that had been divided by Mourinho and run into the ground by our owners/execs. Since then he’s slowly rebuild it back into something that resembles Man Utd a young aggressive team that seem to fight for each other not against each other.

However, there’s now that final hurdle can he get the better of the best managers in the game over a season and come out on top. I don’t think any Utd fan is fully convinced Ole can do it but he deserves a proper crack at it.

If the club don’t land two more starting quality signings this summer he probably doesn’t stand a chance

Our centre midfield isn't really good enough though. In essence we have replaced Ronaldo with Sancho, it just took us over ten years to do it. Maybe replacing pogba was the wrong wording but for me the money needs to go towards a centre midfield player.

Even if Pogba stays we need a centre mid.

A centre mid and centre back for me are vital this summer we can't have Lindelof, Fred, McTominay starting majority of games next season.

The quality of options in those 2 spots needs to be raised much higher the midfield at Utd really is awful hard to think of a signing in that position that has really come off for years.

Even if Pogba stays we need a centre mid.

A centre mid and centre back for me are vital this summer we can't have Lindelof, Fred, McTominay starting majority of games next season.

The quality of options in those 2 spots needs to be raised much higher the midfield at Utd really is awful hard to think of a signing in that position that has really come off for years.
Agreed

Give Ole the players this window and if he fails then he has to go I hate to say it but it's sort of win win for us if he succeeds then great everyone's happy if he fails he leaves a very good squad for the next manager happy days. Would love to see him achieve.

I defo think this is the season Ole has to deliver and i think he will.
But for sure we need a dm,someone like Neves i think is perfect for us,
Has pl experience,is not expensive and has a good relationship with bruno
Maybe a mid trio of Neves,Bruno and D.V.D could be an exciting new formation to try

Second best win percentage as United manager after 100 league games.

If this is true (and it is only in The Sun) then it proves my point that ole is delusional:
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his Manchester United stars they are better than the club's heroes of '99.

In fairness I get the impression he said the squad was better. There is no doubt in my mind the 99 first team was better but I can see how you might argue the squad might be better. I always find it very difficult to compare the present and 99 teams because they play different formations.

If this is true (and it is only in The Sun) then it proves my point that ole is delusional:
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his Manchester United stars they are better than the club's heroes of '99.

Yeah what he should do is constantly put them down and tell them how rubbish they are.

You put a prime Roy Keane in this side and it's an amazing squad.

Also '99 wasn't our best side '08 was better.

Not sure I’d even agree it was a better squad than 99 that was a great squad with some quality players on the bench when it used to only be 5 subs so squads were smaller.

If it is true then so what, part of his job Is hyping up his team and motivating them.

The 2008 team was ridiculous though they should have done the treble that season but it kind of proved how tough a task that is one off day in the cup and the treble was gone.

It’s his team now so if he wants to talk about titles, doubles or trebles then he needs to deliver some and he will know that.

I don't think a squad where your first 11 includes Fred and mctom in the middle is anywhere near either of those teams/squads. Let alone the keeper and RB

But you don't go telling your team what their flaws are, of course he should big them up

In fairness I get the impression he said the squad was better. There is no doubt in my mind the 99 first team was better but I can see how you might argue the squad might be better. I always find it very difficult to compare the present and 99 teams because they play different formations.
the 99 squad has pretty much two top quality players for each position (possibly not keepers). some positions nowadays don't have one...

the 99 squad has pretty much two top quality players for each position (possibly not keepers). some positions nowadays don't have one...

We all know the main players in that 99 team but the reserves who contributed were Phil Neville, Henning Berg, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Jesper Blomqvist, Teddy Sheringham and Ole. Van Der Gouw was the backup keeper but he didn't play many games that season.

19 players made more than 10 appearences that season.

I don't think that was a particularly deep squad it was a brilliant starting XI and we had 4 or 5 in reserve who could come in and do a really good job for the team.

We all know the main players in that 99 team but the reserves who contributed were Phil Neville, Henning Berg, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Jesper Blomqvist, Teddy Sheringham and Ole. Van Der Gouw was the backup keeper but he didn't play many games that season.

19 players made more than 10 appearences that season.

I don't think that was a particularly deep squad it was a brilliant starting XI and we had 4 or 5 in reserve who could come in and do a really good job for the team.
also most of the first-choice players (and more than one or two back-ups) were at their peak. Can't say the same for today's squad - some are past it and some haven't got there yet. and that's why I said Ole's comments were delusional

Lots of papers today saying Ole opted not to boost the midfield (in stories that we are still interested in delan rice)

I read we are keeping an on Rice, but the price is too much, and Bissouma I think it was

also most of the first-choice players (and more than one or two back-ups) were at their peak. Can't say the same for today's squad - some are past it and some haven't got there yet. and that's why I said Ole's comments were delusional

So I've googled this story thought I'd do my own little fact check before I slam the manager and it's a story that started in the sun that contains no quotes from Ole or any of the players or staff so as far as I'm concerned you can stick these reports straight in the bin.

So you are accusing him of being delusional based on something that we don't even know if he actually said or believes.

As for his decision not to bolster the midfield I think he saw critical problems that had to be addressed first and he did it Utd needed a new centre back and another winger. We secured both of those targets and a situation emerged to land one of the world best strikers who might be a bit past his best so we did that too.

In midfield I think Ole can see his problem he's not blind but he also knows the club isn't exactly flush with cash and the sort of players he needs are probably very expensive or just not available so he's going to have to wait on them. My guess is he's told his scouting department they need to find some top level midfield players for next summer and to start working on those targets.

Bissouma was on a lot of lists I wonder if some clubs took a pass this summer as he'll miss a decent chunk of the season with the AFCoN in January and we all know Rice is in a similar situation to Kane he's signed a long contract with his current club that probably puts him out of reach of Utd. Probably a similar situation with Tielemens at Leicester until his contract runs down he's a very expensive player for any club to buy. Looks like they tried for Camavinga but his preferences were elsewhere so it wasn't like we missed out on an obvious target that went to another club. Juventus snapped up Locatelli who looked good in the Euro's but that was another deal where the player only wanted that move so would be tough for Utd to muscle in.

Having made a bit of a mistake with the VDB signing last summer I think he'd rather wait to make sure we get the right man rather than take a punt on Saul for example.

So I've googled this story thought I'd do my own little fact check before I slam the manager and it's a story that started in the sun that contains no quotes from Ole or any of the players or staff so as far as I'm concerned you can stick these reports straight in the bin.

So you are accusing him of being delusional based on something that we don't even know if he actually said or believes.
Will people never learn The Sun is full of shit?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back