How long do we give Solskjaer?

Bookmakers don't often get it wrong!

They got 1 of 9 premier League games correct this weekend

They had Ronaldo 1/12 on to join City.

He's also the 12th favourite manager to be sacked first. Hardly then saying he's about to be sacked.

Old school managers sat in their office?
Only turned up on matchday?
Don't know where u dreamed that up from?

There were certainly managers from a long time ago who were portrayed as being very hands off managers now it may have been a bit of an act but managers like Ron Atkinson or Harry Redknapp gave off an image that you'd likely find them in their office watching the 1.30 from Haydock rather than training the players.

I know some of this was an image cultivated after their career and may not have reflected the truth but it also comes from a time when it was one game a week so a manager might not have been 9-5 every day as they also had other jobs that the current lot don't. I obviously exagerreted for effect but there is certainly an image of a lot of the managers before the 90's not being one for sticking the training kit on every day.

The idea that Ole leaves the coaching of his team to his coaches to me is nuts they might take the odd session here and there but Ole will be the man taking the vast majority of the sessions as it's his message that needs to come across. He's apparently got a guy in to help with the set pieces so he might run his own sessions as will the fitness coaches and the goalkeeper coaches but any session that is about tactics or team play the manager will be running that session as it's his job on the line.

Under Fergie he might not have always been the man running the session but he'll have been watching it like a hawk and the moment it wasn't getting what he wanted he'd have been straight in to sort it out.

Bookies get it wrong all the time but even when they're wrong sometimes they can still make a lot of money.

His odds shortening just represent a run of bad results they're covering the market to make sure they don't get caught out and 14/1 is still pretty long odds.

Ole has come through some tough spells January 2020 felt like the point of no return then Bruno arrived and energised the club again, then we had the dissapointment of the group stage last season but we actually got on a decent league run and found ourselves top briefly before City just ran away. It feels like another one of those moments to be honest I think we'll bounce back and win the next 2.

It's easy to point at McFred but it's also the front 4 and full backs who aren't really working together as a unit to create good chances. Easy to blame the two lads in midfield as we know they're probably the 2 least talented on the pitch but those 4 forward players are in the team to create/score and they haven't been doing it recently. They aren't really asked to do a lot of defending either they are there to be scorers and all of them need to up their game a bit and start working together rather than trying to be superman on their own every time they get the ball.
I'm not saying he'll be 1st sacked. And I hope to christ that doesn't happen. What I'm saying is those in the know, and those with vast experience of the modern day game, don't really fancy his chances.
I've been accused of being an "Ole hater"
What nonsense, what Utd supporter can possibly hate Ole??? ( and I am a Utd supporter btw)
What I'm saying is that he's definitely not the man for the job and the sooner the brass upstairs realise this, and most of his disciples, the better all round for all parties!

They got 1 of 9 premier League games correct this weekend

They had Ronaldo 1/12 on to join City.

He's also the 12th favourite manager to be sacked first. Hardly then saying he's about to be sacked.
Didn't say that pal. I'm just trying to bring to some people's attention that perhaps the wolves are at the door. Perhaps there r more people involved in football, who have a far superior knowledge of the game might be giving us all a fair indication of what's about to happen. Seems all, but Ole's acolytes!

There were certainly managers from a long time ago who were portrayed as being very hands off managers now it may have been a bit of an act but managers like Ron Atkinson or Harry Redknapp gave off an image that you'd likely find them in their office watching the 1.30 from Haydock rather than training the players.

I know some of this was an image cultivated after their career and may not have reflected the truth but it also comes from a time when it was one game a week so a manager might not have been 9-5 every day as they also had other jobs that the current lot don't. I obviously exagerreted for effect but there is certainly an image of a lot of the managers before the 90's not being one for sticking the training kit on every day.

The idea that Ole leaves the coaching of his team to his coaches to me is nuts they might take the odd session here and there but Ole will be the man taking the vast majority of the sessions as it's his message that needs to come across. He's apparently got a guy in to help with the set pieces so he might run his own sessions as will the fitness coaches and the goalkeeper coaches but any session that is about tactics or team play the manager will be running that session as it's his job on the line.

Under Fergie he might not have always been the man running the session but he'll have been watching it like a hawk and the moment it wasn't getting what he wanted he'd have been straight in to sort it out.
If u say so?

I'm not saying he'll be 1st sacked. And I hope to christ that doesn't happen. What I'm saying is those in the know, and those with vast experience of the modern day game, don't really fancy his chances.
I've been accused of being an "Ole hater"
What nonsense, what Utd supporter can possibly hate Ole??? ( and I am a Utd supporter btw)
What I'm saying is that he's definitely not the man for the job and the sooner the brass upstairs realise this, and most of his disciples, the better all round for all parties!

I think the powers that be have shown they're not really up to this job why did they give Ole a new deal in the summer? He's not going anywhere is he so why give him another 3 years deal before the season starts? They should have sat on that decision until half way through this season if he's on track give him the new deal if he isn't shake hands and agree that change is required. Of the guys they've hired so far Ole has been by a million miles the best appointment but I do worry where they'd look next if they had to replace Ole.

That is one thing that really annoys me as I think we're on the same page. Just because you think Ole isn't a world class manager doesn't mean you hate him and want him to fail. You can only judge what you see and we all want this to work out can't think of a better story than Ole being the man to lead us back to the promised land but you can't watch this team and think they are anywhere near that at the moment. I think he's starting to lose some of the match going fans as well they're getting fed up with these sort of performances.

In the same way we all kind of know some of our players aren't up to it no matter how much they might try some of them will never be world class footballers and I feel the same with Ole. He's done great work getting us back to here but the next step is going to be the hardest one to take as now he's got to out smart some of the best managers over the last decade in the game and get ahead of them.

This idea that just because it didn't work with top managers in LVG and Mourinho that we shouldn't try again. Both those guys were over the hill in terms of club management they weren't at the cutting edge of the game they were guys who had great ideas 10 years ago but the game moved beyond them. If Utd are going to change they have to go and get someone who's right up to speed with the modern game and how it's played.

the real problem will be, who do you get in to continue the good work he has done, rather than someone who comes in and rips it all up again.

Points wise, he's one off the top, so not too bad, contrary to that, we haven't really played any of the big boys yet.

We've got Leicester, Liverpool, City and Chelsea, plus some big CL games before the end of November.

He needs to perform in this period or he'll be gone. But as I said, there is no obvious choice to replace him unless we rip up the project.

Didn't say that pal. I'm just trying to bring to some people's attention that perhaps the wolves are at the door. Perhaps there r more people involved in football, who have a far superior knowledge of the game might be giving us all a fair indication of what's about to happen. Seems all, but Ole's acolytes!

At one point Ole was 5/2 favourite to be sacked next. So I don't think it's any indication of those knowing more giving any indication.

Well there is a really top quality coach out there currently who is unemployed but we all know the risks of him coming in and wanting to work with the existing squad of players. Also, I don't think we really have a squad that is setup to play his favoured back 3 system.

Could we tempt the Germany manager back into club football he won the CL at Bayern playing a 4-2-3-1 system but he's fresh into the role and unlikely to leave it before the world cup next winter.

There's the former Barca manager Valverde he did well with them domesticall under difficult circumstances squeezing the last few drops from an ageing squad but wasn't popular as his teams didn't play the Barca way.

There's plenty of people out there with impressive CV's but unless things go really wrong Ole will get the season and he should be judged towards the end of it rather than the start.

I was thinking the German manager, can't really think of anyone else I'd want. But he's not going to walk out after 2 games

Get the England manager...........................................womens team 2 from 2 18 goals or whatever it was ;)

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the England manager get the job. And see how long people give it before moaning about Southgate.

For reference the top 4 in the betting are:

Poch (we've gone over him enough)
Rodgers
Zidane (Defensive minded manager)
Southgate

If Poch left PSG I'd have him I know he's still got some doubts over him but backed properly I think he'd build a very good attacking side but he's under contract at PSG and isn't going anywhere until they sack him. That could happen quite quickly as I doubt he's going to be able to get his ideas over to that lot.

Zidane I think we all know the story there you can't argue with his record in terms of trophies but there is that doubt over how much of that was due to him and how much was down to the players he worked with just knowing how to win. There wasn't huge amounts of innovation he just kept Madrid ticking over and managed the ego's.

He had just won the Scudetto with his current squad. Fair enough if he kicked off when they were gonna sell everyone not bolted down, but that wasn’t the case at Chelsea, and things were toxic by the end despite winning the league and the FA Cup.

The thing is, the argument against Ole is that a manager who is all about the tactics and shape and setting out his side will get results out of this squad. In reality, LvG and Jose tried that and it was a disaster. These players don’t respond to that style of management, nor do they want to be told how kick every ball. Part of Ole’s successes have been his man management abilities, that somebody like Conte lacks. Chelsea is a club without history or pedigree. Their fans don’t expect a certain style or a side to play a certain way. They want trophies, however they are able to get them. The players they’ve attracted aren’t usually youth players who have an affinity yo the club. They’re mercenaries who think they’ll win there. United, for better or worse, isn’t like that, and this squad has been assembled differently. A manager like Conte wouldn’t fit with the squad, or the ethos of the club, something we’ve all felt has been brought back under Ole.
goodness me no.. we can't have a manger who wins things

Klopp drew with Brentford.
Tuchel and his unstoppable Chelsea lost today too.

For me it's always been: who do we replace Ole with?
There are a lot of "Ole out" posts online but the names I've seen suggested are Conte and Zidane. I don't think either would work here. I think Conte would root out some of the mediocrity but even he isn't going to turn McFred into Xavi and Iniesta. There's only so much that duo can bring. I like Zidane a lot but he had an insane team with peak Ronaldo.
The last 3 managers we had were wrong for United, and two of them were proven winners. I don't want to make another deal with the devil like we did with Mourinho. Who out there has the tactical nous as well as wanting to play attacking wingers and youth?
But I've been saying Ole out since well before the end of last season (more loudly after the Europa b/s). Allegri was available and managers could have been approached in the summer. we did nothing - as per usual

If Poch left PSG I'd have him I know he's still got some doubts over him but backed properly I think he'd build a very good attacking side but he's under contract at PSG and isn't going anywhere until they sack him. That could happen quite quickly as I doubt he's going to be able to get his ideas over to that lot.

Zidane I think we all know the story there you can't argue with his record in terms of trophies but there is that doubt over how much of that was due to him and how much was down to the players he worked with just knowing how to win. There wasn't huge amounts of innovation he just kept Madrid ticking over and managed the ego's.
Have to say, I remain unconvinced by Poch. That said I was "rather unconvinced" when we changed bosses in 1986...

Ahh I disagree with that. Look how quickly in to his tenure this thread was started. Took a couple of losses after a 11 game winning streak.
By the odd few yes... I've said from early on in his tenure he isn't going to win major trophies with this team and I maintain that. So far he's not proven me wrong.

And because people said from early on that Ole wouldn't succeed they don't want him to because they don't want to be proven wrong. Not aimed at you but the feeling I get from many of the vocal Ole out crowd. Those that can't even admit he's done a good job so far and that the team has obviously moved forward since he took over and that the atmosphere around the place is no longer toxic.

And because people said from early on that Ole wouldn't succeed they don't want him to because they don't want to be proven wrong. Not aimed at you but the feeling I get from many of the vocal Ole out crowd. Those that can't even admit he's done a good job so far and that the team has obviously moved forward since he took over and that the atmosphere around the place is no longer toxic.
You know though that I've said he's done a good job. He's got the club moving in the right direction. But there's a difference between that and being a top manager who can win trophies.

The real worry is if they go for Poch or Martinez!

Flick would have been my choice but that ship has sailed. If he was available i'd say go get him.

It's only 5 games in, there is no stand out replacement, I am still backing Ole but something is begining to gnaw about about what's going on this season. I want to see some improvement over these games up to the end of November. We need to make a game of it agaisnt City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester. None of this patheticness I'm seeing at the moment. I want to see a gameplan executed by the team, convincing displays. If we lose while playing well and creating chances I feel better about it than these current displays.

You know though that I've said he's done a good job. He's got the club moving in the right direction. But there's a difference between that and being a top manager who can win trophies.

That's why I said not aimed at you. But how I feel about those that can't even see that he has done well.

The second part I agree with I just feel at the moment he'd earned the right to find out.

Have to say, I remain unconvinced by Poch. That said I was "rather unconvinced" when we changed bosses in 1986...

I really liked his Southampton side and his Spurs side the way they played was great to watch but he hasn't yet proven in at the very top level so I can see why some people have doubts about him.

Felt his sides were really well organised playing a really fast modern style of football and he came close to winning major trophies at Spurs before the side was picked apart by richer clubs.

I can't say he'll do amazing things at PSG as I don't see how he can get the ego's at that club to play his style of football to much running for the superstars.

The real worry is if they go for Poch or Martinez!

Flick would have been my choice but that ship has sailed. If he was available i'd say go get him.

It's only 5 games in, there is no stand out replacement, I am still backing Ole but something is begining to gnaw about about what's going on this season. I want to see some improvement over these games up to the end of November. We need to make a game of it agaisnt City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester. None of this patheticness I'm seeing at the moment. I want to see a gameplan executed by the team, convincing displays. If we lose while playing well and creating chances I feel better about it than these current displays.
The game we just lost was actually a pretty entertaining game. It was very open, a lot of attacks and counter-attacks. Greenwood could have won it himself with better finishing. We lost about 20 minutes of that match through lack of focus but overall we controlled it. We made some sloppy passes (AWB, Fred, Pogba) and some dumb mistakes (same, + Bruno, Shaw, Maguire) but we were not lackluster or lacking in intent.

Antog
I think the powers that be have shown they're not really up to this job why did they give Ole a new deal in the summer? He's not going anywhere is he so why give him another 3 years deal before the season starts? They should have sat on that decision until half way through this season if he's on track give him the new deal if he isn't shake hands and agree that change is required. Of the guys they've hired so far Ole has been by a million miles the best appointment but I do worry where they'd look next if they had to replace Ole.

That is one thing that really annoys me as I think we're on the same page. Just because you think Ole isn't a world class manager doesn't mean you hate him and want him to fail. You can only judge what you see and we all want this to work out can't think of a better story than Ole being the man to lead us back to the promised land but you can't watch this team and think they are anywhere near that at the moment. I think he's starting to lose some of the match going fans as well they're getting fed up with these sort of performances.

In the same way we all kind of know some of our players aren't up to it no matter how much they might try some of them will never be world class footballers and I feel the same with Ole. He's done great work getting us back to here but the next step is going to be the hardest one to take as now he's got to out smart some of the best managers over the last decade in the game and get ahead of them.

This idea that just because it didn't work with top managers in LVG and Mourinho that we shouldn't try again. Both those guys were over the hill in terms of club management they weren't at the cutting edge of the game they were guys who had great ideas 10 years ago but the game moved beyond them. If Utd are going to change they have to go and get someone who's right up to speed with the modern game and how it's played.
Looks like we finally seem to agree on several matters. As I said, there is no way I'm an Ole hater. I would like to see him given the opportunity to finish his time at OT with dignity and pride. He's earned that. But I do think that time has come.
A hat in the ring? Erik ten Hag? I've always enjoyed watching Ajax's style and culture. Produced some great young talent, DVDB being 1 of them

Antog

Looks like we finally seem to agree on several matters. As I said, there is no way I'm an Ole hater. I would like to see him given the opportunity to finish his time at OT with dignity and pride. He's earned that. But I do think that time has come.
A hat in the ring? Erik ten Hag? I've always enjoyed watching Ajax's style and culture. Produced some great young talent, DVDB being 1 of them

At one point Ole was 5/2 favourite to be sacked next. So I don't think it's any indication of those knowing more giving any indication.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the England manager get the job. And see how long people give it before moaning about Southgate.

For reference the top 4 in the betting are:

Poch (we've gone over him enough)
Rodgers
Zidane (Defensive minded manager)
Southgate
Brendan Rodgers? Who on earth thought of him.
Well I do seem to remember my mentioning his name recently and being lambasted for it
Personally I think Erik ten Hag has done a marvelous job with Ajax. Young manager with a fantastic career ahead of him

But I've been saying Ole out since well before the end of last season (more loudly after the Europa b/s). Allegri was available and managers could have been approached in the summer. we did nothing - as per usual
Totally agree mitch. I desperately wanted Allegri at OT but, alas.......

The game we just lost was actually a pretty entertaining game. It was very open, a lot of attacks and counter-attacks. Greenwood could have won it himself with better finishing. We lost about 20 minutes of that match through lack of focus but overall we controlled it. We made some sloppy passes (AWB, Fred, Pogba) and some dumb mistakes (same, + Bruno, Shaw, Maguire) but we were not lackluster or lacking in intent.
We must have been watching different games amigo

No longer toxic? Then why has the last 30 or so posts been spent discussing alternatives to Ole?

Hasn't he had a worse start to his season than Ole?

No longer toxic? Then why has the last 30 or so posts been spent discussing alternatives to Ole?
I mean the atmosphere around the team and between the manager and players. I can't blame Ole for the fact some fans will always call for his head but I'd say the relationship between manager and fans is still better than most even with this loud mouthed minority.

Not sure how the Ajax style would work in England I think what seems to be working currently is the German style with intense pressing and high speed football and the ways the refs are letting things go now you can be in peoples faces and take chances with tackles.

It's how long do you delay the inevitable if it gets to that point remember the end of Van Gaal's second season everyone knew he was a dead man walking from January just watching us stumble along then sacking him after winning the FA Cup wasn't very pretty.

I mean the atmosphere around the team and between the manager and players. I can't blame Ole for the fact some fans will always call for his head but I'd say the relationship between manager and fans is still better than most even with this loud mouthed minority.
Is it the loud mouthed minority?

That's why I said not aimed at you. But how I feel about those that can't even see that he has done well.

The second part I agree with I just feel at the moment he'd earned the right to find out.
And that's fine bud that's your opinion. I just don't see it. He's been in positions to win trophies and every time so far they have lost. And I think in every single one of those games you can point to decisions he's made that are head scratching.

This minority seems to be growing!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back