Homegrown talent at United

Status
Not open for further replies.

billabog5

Banned
An area Utd always excelled in but seemingly a thing of the past

James Wilson the ideal example. If he were at any other clubs outside the top 4 he would probably be ahead of the likes of Austin & Vardy in the England reckoning, but because Utd keep buying [or lending] big name strikers he just isn't getting the chances he deserves. I really feel he has the ability to be the best natural striker England has produced since Michael Owen but whilst Utd have massive, underachieving names like RVP, Falcao in the squad the manager is always going to give them far more opportunities than a young kid who cost nothing

There will never again be a class of 92 , many of those would never get a start these days, let alone fill a team . The demand for instant success is so great that players aren't allowed to settle in to a team , they have to instantly ready & produce instantly

Put another way, put James Wilson at Burnley, Leicester or QPR & he is ahead of Ings , Vardy & Austin. I even believe if he were at Spurs he would have done what Kane has done

Other examples of real talent never really getting a chance & going to waste are Zaha & Powell

Thoughts

Wilson has had a lot of injury problems, think this is the main reason he hasn't had many opportunities, this has been overlooked by you and others. Still has a lot to work on too. Zaha and Powell both have/had attitude/off field issues that have gone against them.

I've changed the thread title, there's no need to exaggerate, billibog.

The Class of '92 shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the club's youth development programme. So many youth players breaking through at the same time and being good enough is very rare.

McNair? Blackett?

Can someone remind me of how many consecutive games a youth player has been involved in the matchday squad?

How does United compare against other teams?

I've changed the thread title, there's no need to exaggerate, billibog.

The Class of '92 shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the club's youth development programme. So many youth players breaking through at the same time and being good enough is very rare.

McNair? Blackett?

Can someone remind me of how many consecutive games a youth player has been involved in the matchday squad?

How does United compare against other teams?

I am only talking about Utd as they have been so good in the past at bringing youth through, its not an attack on Utd but it seems we are now no different to the Chelsea's & Arsenals of 2 decades ago , which I always disliked.
Mcnair will possibly make it but everyone is screaming for at least one CB to be brought in, Blackett is way off being good enough . Not sure why you felt the need to change the title. I posted it as a topic for discussion, I don't necessarily agree with all the views & posts on here but I wouldn't try to edit them, this is a forum, different opinions are what forums are about . As long as the debates stay civil you have no reason to edit anything. I hope that isn't a common occurrence on here

That was the whole point of the class of 92, it won't happen again because we won't ever have another manager who will have the balls or time to do what SAF did, add to that the league has improved so much that if it was tried now Alan Hansen may find he was eventually right but I do feel there aren't enough players coming through & I do feel Wilson should have played more this season

I personally would love to see a rule where a club has to field a minimum of 4 homegrown players every game.

Thread titles will be edited if I feel it is necessary. Please use constructive thread titles, not click baiting titles.

Jason's post on Wilson is right.

The Class of 92 won't happen again because of the points made in your opening post.

everyone is screaming for at least one CB to be brought in

Does that mean United should buy an expensive central defender this summer, thereby limiting the opportunities of McNair and Blackett?

If you think Blackett and mcnair will make it then no but if you don't then yes. I doubt either will make it. Personally I would bring in a centre back, if either of the two young lads progress they will be fighting for there place. It is increasingly difficult to bring through young players given the success demands. I doubt really see Wilson as a problem. But a quality striker and get Wilson a good loan season playing competitive football. After that years experience rvp and Rooney will both be a year older. Sometimes I think we are in too much of a hurry to bring kids through.

We'll soon see who gets taken on tour. McNair, Pereira and Wilson will probably go (maybe Blackett too ) but I'd really like to maybe see Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah and Rashford go too, still very young but get them involved, give them a go and see how they do. Van Gaal gave Seedorf his Ajax debut at 16 so he doesn't take age into much consideration. Would be nice to see Pearson and/or Rothwell go too. Another one i'd like to see go, with 3 maybe 4 keepers (Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone and De Gea) leaving this summer, is Joel Pereira, i'd expect him to go if those 3/4 do go.

Thread titles will be edited if I feel it is necessary. Please use constructive thread titles, not click baiting titles.

Jason's post on Wilson is right.

The Class of 92 won't happen again because of the points made in your opening post.

As I said,I don't think Blackett is anywhere near good enough yet & TBH, I don't think he ever will be. I would loan him out & see how he develops. I really like the Smalling -Jones partnership but unfortunately both are very injury prone . I don't think Evans is good enough so that leaves Mcnair &s back up . I have never wanted a CB bought, I think Carrick is a more than useful option so that gives Utd 4 CB's which should be enough .

The title was not "baiting" ,

Does that mean United should buy an expensive central defender this summer, thereby limiting the opportunities of McNair and Blackett?

As I said,I don't think Blackett is anywhere near good enough yet & TBH, I don't think he ever will be. I would loan him out & see how he develops. I really like the Smalling -Jones partnership but unfortunately both are very injury prone . I don't think Evans is good enough so that leaves Mcnair &s back up . I have never wanted a CB bought, I think Carrick is a more than useful option so that gives Utd 4 CB's which should be enough .

The title was not "baiting" ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back