Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Big season for the skipper.

Last season was a disaster but fresh start he needs to show he's back to his best early on.

Looks like it'll be another new centre back pairing Varane seems to be dropping out of favour as he can't stay fit which has meant Maguire has moved from left side to right side of the pairing during pre season and we assume he'll be alongside Martinez once he's up to full fitness.

I really want to see this guy turn it around the hate he gets and the mocking online from our fans and others I think goes way beyond what is acceptable. He is a very good centre back who had a very poor season it happens and it's happened to much better players than him.

In football it's all about how you bounce back from disappointment.

I want to see him put in a good season. I don't think he'll ever be brilliant, but I do think he is way better than recent form.

Tricky to know who the pairing will be. I wonder if we don't FDJ, then if all three are fit Martinez might go into midfield. I don't think Varane should be bench warming if he's fit. Regardless if it's ony for half the season.

Can't see Martinez going into midfield to be honest all signs point to a Maguire/Martinez partnership.

It'll be up to Varane/Lindelof to prove in the games they play that they are better if they want to get into the starting XI.

I think Utd would happily sell Varane if they could find a buyer but no one's going to match his contract at Utd so we're kind of stuck with each other. He needs to get himself fit and prove he's better than those ahead of him. He missed most of pre season which to me is a worrying sign of what is to come.

Thought Welbeck was excellent especially first half was giving our centre backs lots of problems but they got a handle on it second half.

Danny was always an odd player for. I never really felt he was good enough yet felt we played better when he played. I know that doesn't really make sense

Danny was always an odd player for. I never really felt he was good enough yet felt we played better when he played. I know that doesn't really make sense

I always rated him he wasn’t world class but he was a handy squad player.

Had some rotten luck with injury since leaving us.

An end to end game suited him as he needed space in behind struggled a lot when teams parked the bus.

Maguire was... Wait for it... Pretty good today. In fact I'd say he was good and so was Martinez for the most part. They'll get better the more they play together.

I was gutted when he left, more so with him being a Mancunian, but I think the club knew he'd never reach his potential because of ongoing injury problems.

I was gutted when he left, more so with him being a Mancunian, but I think the club knew he'd never reach his potential because of ongoing injury problems.
Unfortunately he just didn't score enough goals but I always felt we played better when he played. We would have killed for someone who can work the back four like him today.

Unfortunately he just didn't score enough goals but I always felt we played better when he played. We would have killed for someone who can work the back four like him today.

It's funny it's how well he played on the left(a position he didn't seem suited to) that probably convinced Arsenal he was probably worth a punt at £16m despite his ongoing injury problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You wonder if there's been a language barrier between Martinez and Maguire as he's highlighted communication.

Dropping him was a big call but the right call he may have to wait for his chance to get back in but with Varane's injury record he might not have to wait to long and if he comes back in he needs to perform.

you wonder if Lindelof will be above him now.

Post match interview, ETH said its a squad game and Ronaldo and Maguire will get their chance soon. Might just be talk though. Don't think you change the back 4 unless you have to

I expect he's now third choice but when the midweek games start kicking in he'll get chances to play and prove what he can do and try to get his starting spot back.

Given Varane struggles to play 5 games in a row he might get it handed back to him anyway.

You wonder if there's been a language barrier between Martinez and Maguire as he's highlighted communication.

Dropping him was a big call but the right call he may have to wait for his chance to get back in but with Varane's injury record he might not have to wait to long and if he comes back in he needs to perform.

Martinez's English is very good, and Maguire can't help being a Yorkshireman :D

I expect he's now third choice but when the midweek games start kicking in he'll get chances to play and prove what he can do and try to get his starting spot back.

Given Varane struggles to play 5 games in a row he might get it handed back to him anyway.

Varane struggles to play one game in a row.

how did he play? Any chance of pushing Lindelof out the first 11? or is it too soon

Utd fans booing him does my head in, as fans we should be trying to support him and rebuild his confidence. He’s done nothing to disrespect the club other than commit the crime of having a poor run of form. What is wrong with these people?

@Mr C Maguire was fine as was Lindelof but they were under no pressure played pretty much the whole game 10 yards inside the opponents half as Sheriff didn’t have any attacking threat.

Up next is West Ham I’d probably start him in because they’re a big powerful and physical side whereas next week vs Real Sociedad I start Lindelof.

It is a coin toss but to be fair to Lindelof i think his form has been good enough for him to be ahead of Maguire.

Big 6 months for the skipper at Utd he either needs to win his place back and consistently deliver his best form or he'll be out the door in the summer.

I think he had a good world cup for him, but he didn't overly impress me. The thing with him is he can have a brilliant 85 mins, but a crap 5 which loses you the game. And I don't think he'll ever lose that

I'd say over the 5 games he was probably our most consistent performer he never lets us down and he's a great partnership with Stones who was also very good.

4 goals conceded with 3 clean sheets in 5 games and he was very good at bringing the ball out from the back.

It's what you expect from him in an England shirt the way they play and that level seems to get the best from him.

I don't see his long term future being at Utd beyond the end of this season but he's got a chance to win his spot back.

conceded 4, 2 he switched off and should have done better. One was a pen.

He was the wrong side of Giroud and he caught in no mans land vs Iran

The Iran goal he was injured and had to come straight off. And Stones is marking Giroud and he drifts off of him. Maguire tries to make amends. Watch those 5 minutes of the game again.

I also thought Maguire was to blame until I saw an analysis on it yesterday. But he's the wrong side because it was Stones that was supposed to be dealing with being Infront of him.

Even in the clip before the goal he loses Giroud who gets a shot off

anyway, said it for ages, he's not quite good enough, and I predicted when ETH joined that he'd be gone within 18 months. And I hold that

Even in the clip before the goal he loses Giroud who gets a shot off

Yeah that's why I said watch the 5 minutes before hand. As Maguire isn't marking Giroud there. Stones is and wonders off / doesn't notice Giroud drift off him but that clip isn't enough to show it and it shows Maguire trying to get back in.

You don't mark someone standing a 2 foot behind them. Even an off form Maguire knows that much.

Never rated Stones as a defender but always admired his ability on the ball, and Maguire is Maguire, Marmite Man, but they both had very good World cups, and on the decisive Giroud goal sometimes you just have to marvel at the skill of the cross, for Griezmann to get the ball where he did between two 6'3" defenders from that position with that pace is genius and basically undefendable. You've just gotta pray the intended target cocks it up. The only thing Maguire could have done differently would have resulted in a penalty. Haven't seen it again, but could Pickford have done better as it should have been obvious where the cross was going?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back