Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

jsp

Big season for the skipper.

Last season was a disaster but fresh start he needs to show he's back to his best early on.

Looks like it'll be another new centre back pairing Varane seems to be dropping out of favour as he can't stay fit which has meant Maguire has moved from left side to right side of the pairing during pre season and we assume he'll be alongside Martinez once he's up to full fitness.

I really want to see this guy turn it around the hate he gets and the mocking online from our fans and others I think goes way beyond what is acceptable. He is a very good centre back who had a very poor season it happens and it's happened to much better players than him.

In football it's all about how you bounce back from disappointment.

Mr C

I want to see him put in a good season. I don't think he'll ever be brilliant, but I do think he is way better than recent form.

Tricky to know who the pairing will be. I wonder if we don't FDJ, then if all three are fit Martinez might go into midfield. I don't think Varane should be bench warming if he's fit. Regardless if it's ony for half the season.

jsp

Can't see Martinez going into midfield to be honest all signs point to a Maguire/Martinez partnership.

It'll be up to Varane/Lindelof to prove in the games they play that they are better if they want to get into the starting XI.

I think Utd would happily sell Varane if they could find a buyer but no one's going to match his contract at Utd so we're kind of stuck with each other. He needs to get himself fit and prove he's better than those ahead of him. He missed most of pre season which to me is a worrying sign of what is to come.

jsp

Thought Welbeck was excellent especially first half was giving our centre backs lots of problems but they got a handle on it second half.

boothstownred

Danny was always an odd player for. I never really felt he was good enough yet felt we played better when he played. I know that doesn't really make sense

jsp

Danny was always an odd player for. I never really felt he was good enough yet felt we played better when he played. I know that doesn't really make sense

I always rated him he wasn’t world class but he was a handy squad player.

Had some rotten luck with injury since leaving us.

An end to end game suited him as he needed space in behind struggled a lot when teams parked the bus.

RichH2016

Maguire was... Wait for it... Pretty good today. In fact I'd say he was good and so was Martinez for the most part. They'll get better the more they play together.

Justin Cider

I was gutted when he left, more so with him being a Mancunian, but I think the club knew he'd never reach his potential because of ongoing injury problems.

boothstownred

I was gutted when he left, more so with him being a Mancunian, but I think the club knew he'd never reach his potential because of ongoing injury problems.
Unfortunately he just didn't score enough goals but I always felt we played better when he played. We would have killed for someone who can work the back four like him today.

Justin Cider

Unfortunately he just didn't score enough goals but I always felt we played better when he played. We would have killed for someone who can work the back four like him today.

It's funny it's how well he played on the left(a position he didn't seem suited to) that probably convinced Arsenal he was probably worth a punt at £16m despite his ongoing injury problems.

jsp

You wonder if there's been a language barrier between Martinez and Maguire as he's highlighted communication.

Dropping him was a big call but the right call he may have to wait for his chance to get back in but with Varane's injury record he might not have to wait to long and if he comes back in he needs to perform.

Mr C

you wonder if Lindelof will be above him now.

Post match interview, ETH said its a squad game and Ronaldo and Maguire will get their chance soon. Might just be talk though. Don't think you change the back 4 unless you have to

jsp

I expect he's now third choice but when the midweek games start kicking in he'll get chances to play and prove what he can do and try to get his starting spot back.

Given Varane struggles to play 5 games in a row he might get it handed back to him anyway.

Justin Cider

You wonder if there's been a language barrier between Martinez and Maguire as he's highlighted communication.

Dropping him was a big call but the right call he may have to wait for his chance to get back in but with Varane's injury record he might not have to wait to long and if he comes back in he needs to perform.

Martinez's English is very good, and Maguire can't help being a Yorkshireman :D

Justin Cider

I expect he's now third choice but when the midweek games start kicking in he'll get chances to play and prove what he can do and try to get his starting spot back.

Given Varane struggles to play 5 games in a row he might get it handed back to him anyway.

Varane struggles to play one game in a row.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now