Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been at the club 5 minutes and injured twice?

Maguire to me up until this season has been the natural choice as captain but if they take it off him it'll be going straight to Ronaldo.

Really the captain is there to set the standards and Ronaldo sets the standards higher than anyone not just for himself but for his team mates same way Zlatan did. I know he doesn't press the opponent but he certainly works hard and never gives up and he hates losing he knows what it takes so if they did decide to change the captain it would have to be him as he is the big dog in the dressing room that everyone looks to.

I'm not sure time at the club counts, - see Maguire

True but circumstances where different then as the official club captain wasn't in the team every week so the armband was getting passed around game by game. Maguire stood out very early on as captain material from the way he carried himself and he was also going to be in the team every week so it made sense to give it to him I can only assume in the dressing room he was someone that Ole felt the players looked to as a leader.

I don't see Varane as captain material to be honest not sure how well he speaks the language and to me he seems like a follower not a leader he was never seen as a leader at Madrid or in the France team.

Maguire has faced the cameras alongside Carrick today for the pre game press conference he's said all the right things about how the players need to take responsibility and you can see how gutted they are that things went the way they did.

"The result on Saturday wasn't good enough. The results recently have not been good enough and unfortunately Ole has paid the price for that. We have to take a big responsibility as well," Maguire says.

"The players need to take responsibility for everything on the field. We were in this together. The manager has paid the price and we are all so disappointed for that.

"We haven't been good enough, we know that, we have spoken about that and now we must look forward.

"The manager spoke to us. It was an emotional day. We have huge respect for him. He said he will be supporting us and wanting us to win every game of football which obviously shows the values of the man."

Let's hope it continues with Varane still out for a while we need Maguire back at his best lets hope he's shaken off those confidence issues and we get a spell of him back at his best as I do maintain at his best there are very few better in this league.

Back to his best, makes passing out from the back look effortless. Wouldn't swap him with anybody currently playing in the Premier League.

I think his right to the armband is highly questionable and this needs to be reviewed! I find it hard to believe anybody considers him a good captain.
Problem is, the only present realistic alternative is Bruno.
I do hope Ralf looks at this, maybe that should be the forethought in our next signing. Sign a CAPTAIN!!

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Burnley - 30th December 2021

He was awful.

He’s a real worry.

The moment Lindelof is back I think Maguire needs to sit out a few games as his performances are poor and not getting better.

Others have faced the same penalty for losing form I think he has to face that penalty now as well.

Maguire is not a top CB. I think there's a very good argument for Lindelof to partner Varane at the back and if not Lindelof then Bailly.

United fans need to realise that Maguire is not a top CB. It is why he's not at one of the top English clubs.

Maguire is not a top CB. I think there's a very good argument for Lindelof to partner Varane at the back and if not Lindelof then Bailly.

United fans need to realise that Maguire is not a top CB. It is why he's not at one of the top English clubs.

He plays for the team that finished second last season, third season before and one of the best national teams in the world.

City also wanted him but wouldn’t go to 80m we have massively overpaid for him but he’s a very good defender.

He is having a bad run of form and he should be dropped no argument about that but Lindelof has Covid and Bailly is off to the African Cup for 6 weeks and Bailly was also responsible for that goal tonight.

How long does a bad run of form last? 2 or 3 games, maybe 5? I think instead of him having a bad run of form, he previously was performing above expectations and now he's back to his normal self.

What's the consensus on here about Maguire? Is he still one of the top 3 CB in the world? I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it was not only the best CB in the premier league (behind maybe Van Dijk) but also one of the best in the world. I personally don't rate him. I'd probably put him 3rd choice out of our CBs and that's only because Bailly is mental. If Bailly had any common sense, Maguire would be 4th choice. As a modern CB, he doesn't have the skill set to compete. He's good at the stand there and head the ball out stuff, but watch when he is left 1v1 with attackers, and they skin him every time, his positioning is suspect, he's slow as feck, he doesn't read the game quickly enough, and he constantly works himself into danger when he has the ball.

Nice that the I haven't really got a clue what i'm watching thread is ticking along nicely.

He plays for the team that finished second last season, third season before and one of the best national teams in the world.

City also wanted him but wouldn’t go to 80m we have massively overpaid for him but he’s a very good defender.

He is having a bad run of form and he should be dropped no argument about that but Lindelof has Covid and Bailly is off to the African Cup for 6 weeks and Bailly was also responsible for that goal tonight.
You're over rating him as fans of a team do.

The second last year was a great achievement for united but was done in very unusual circumstances. And yes ok third the year before but neither were title challenging seasons.

He's a good defender and that's it. He's not top class, he's not even in the next bracket down. He wouldn't get in the city defense nor the Liverpool and Chelsea defense. And surely that's what United are aiming for? To catch up and overtake those teams?

Maguire gets in to every defence in the league. City bid £75m for him do you think Pep was doing that for a bit of fun?

Ha he definitely does not. He doesn't get in to the top 3 there's no way.

Why do you think Pep was bidding £75m for him? To clean the dressing room?

He definitely gets in the Liverpool side ahead of Matip or Gomes (who can't get in the England squad let alone the starting line up)

And he gets in the Chelsea side ahead of Christenson or Chalabah who again can't get in the England squad let alone the starting line up.

How long does a bad run of form last? 2 or 3 games, maybe 5? I think instead of him having a bad run of form, he previously was performing above expectations and now he's back to his normal self.

What's the consensus on here about Maguire? Is he still one of the top 3 CB in the world? I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it was not only the best CB in the premier league (behind maybe Van Dijk) but also one of the best in the world. I personally don't rate him. I'd probably put him 3rd choice out of our CBs and that's only because Bailly is mental. If Bailly had any common sense, Maguire would be 4th choice. As a modern CB, he doesn't have the skill set to compete. He's good at the stand there and head the ball out stuff, but watch when he is left 1v1 with attackers, and they skin him every time, his positioning is suspect, he's slow as feck, he doesn't read the game quickly enough, and he constantly works himself into danger when he has the ball.

I remember Rooney having some stinking runs of form that lasted months even in his prime but he would eventually snap out of them and start playing well again. There’s a gap of about two years where Scholes pretty much disappeared, Giggs had spells where he was awful every week, Evra at times was the same, in his last season Beckham was on the bench a lot. A bad 6 months cost Evans his Utd career under LVG since leaving he’s shown season after season that he could have been a solid performer for Utd.

I’d argue 3 or 4 season pretty consistently high levels 2017-21 is the true bench mark of his level he isn’t Van Dijk but then I don’t think anyone is and when Van Dijk makes a mistake which he does it doesn’t normally cost his team as the strikers get him out of jail.

All the things you say about Maguire I can equally say about Lindelof and add that he’s terrible in the air and gets thrown around like a rag doll by any physical centre forward.

Bailly just hasn’t learned how to play the game still makes rash decisions it’s like watching a 17 year old not a 27 year old injuries mean he’s never really progressed into a reliable defender.

The main thing is when all those players above hit a bad spell they came out of the team for a bit normally got their head straight again and then got back to their best level. Maguire needs that treatment but for some reason we let him hobble on like some wounded soldier just waiting for the enemy to pick him off.

Once Lindelof is back from Covid hopefully with no long lasting effects of it he should be put in with Varane for a few games and give Maguire a break. For that to happen two centre backs that aren’t Maguire need to stay bloody fit but That’s a different problem for a different day.

He definitely gets in the Liverpool side ahead of Matip or Gomes (who can't get in the England squad let alone the starting line up)

And he gets in the Chelsea side ahead of Christenson or Chalabah who again can't get in the England squad let alone the starting line up.
I disagree but hey there's a surprise.

Maguire's had more poor form than good form for united.
He's form at the moment is even low for him. Terrible.
I would not be unhappy if we could find some mug to buy him, but no one is stupid enough

I think people really need to remember how disorganised we are without him. Bad form or not he's better than the rest. Lindelof is in better form but we know that won't last. Bailly will get you an own goal and a penalty given away every other game and Varane looked like he's semis retired Vs Newcastle.

I think people really need to remember how disorganised we are without him. Bad form or not he's better than the rest. Lindelof is in better form but we know that won't last. Bailly will get you an own goal and a penalty given away every other game and Varane looked like he's semis retired Vs Newcastle.
This is all true, but we need upgrades on all of them.

No on all of this. Have you seriously met a fan of a rival club who rates Maguire? My Liverpool, Spurs, City, and Chelsea fans are in agreement that he’s a disaster. No clue where you’re getting this idea that he gets in ahead of players outperforming him in clubs outperforming ours. This has nothing to do with the price tag or captaincy; he’s just not very good, and he is being hideously exposed when we play a high line. His errors of late aren’t form but foundational errors.

No on all of this. Have you seriously met a fan of a rival club who rates Maguire? My Liverpool, Spurs, City, and Chelsea fans are in agreement that he’s a disaster. No clue where you’re getting this idea that he gets in ahead of players outperforming him in clubs outperforming ours. This has nothing to do with the price tag or captaincy; he’s just not very good, and he is being hideously exposed when we play a high line. His errors of late aren’t form but foundational errors.

Rival club fans didn't rate Ronaldo or Rooney FFS.

He's literally getting in the national team ahead of players he'd be competing with at these clubs. To say he would then fail to at club level when we've evidence he does at international level is ridiculous. Gomes and Chalaboh can get in the Chelsea and Liverpool side but Maguire can't? Surely you can see how silly that statement is when we know whose ahead in the pecking order for the national side with good reason?

Again why do you think Pep was bidding £75m him?

Rival club fans didn't rate Ronaldo or Rooney FFS.

He's literally getting in the national team ahead of players he'd be competing with at these clubs. To say he would then fail to at club level when we've evidence he does at international level is ridiculous. Gomes and Chalaboh can get in the Chelsea and Liverpool side but Maguire can't? Surely you can see how silly that statement is when we know whose ahead in the pecking order for the national side with good reason?

Again why do you think Pep was bidding £75m him?
When did anyone not rate Ronaldo or Rooney? That’s ridiculous. Both as teenagers showed they were a class above. What’s silly is arguing that because Southgate picks him he’s better than who Klopp picks, or anyone else. The England national side is a joke. Maguire can play in that system because it is a static and old fashioned system. England’s style of play is not very dynamic or adventurous and that suits Maguire to a T. It’s oddly touching how much you defend him, like he’s a personal friend of yours, but literally no one rates him the way you do: not opposition fans, not United fans on other boards or in person, not pundits, not football writers, no one.

Klopp doesn't pick anyone over him because Klopp doesn't have the choice of picking Maguire.

The only person who can choose both Maguire and Gomes is Southgate. And Gomes can't even make the side.

I don't think you'd get a single premier League manager thinking Gomes is the better player.

If Maguire was as bad as people like to make out he wouldn't continuously get selected by various managers.

Ragnick had come in with a fresh slate for everyone and Maguire plays. With reason.

When Harry M has led us to back to back Premier League and Champions League doubles we'll look back at this thread and laugh, and laugh.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 West Ham United - 22nd January 2022

His best performance of the season. He was very good, especially in the first half.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 West Ham United - 22nd January 2022

His best performance of the season. He was very good, especially in the first half.
He read the game very well today and tackles were well timed - especially when he was 1 on 1 with Antonio.

Hopefully he’s getting back to his best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back