Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be dropped for the next game don’t see the point of stripping him of the armband he needs to be benched.

Ha. It was quite soon after the game and I wanted to make sure my post didn't result in an instant ban.

Just out of interest like, but what word were you gonna use that would have resulted in an instant ban?

• Haha
Reactions: RVN
Ha. It was quite soon after the game and I wanted to make sure my post didn't result in an instant ban.
Bloody hard thing to acquire, I've been after 1 for several months now but only received yellow cards!

• Haha
Reactions: RVN
Better yesterday but still looks a bit edgy to me.

Him and Shaw had another moment where both seem to leave a ball to each other and inevitably neither deal with it but it wasn’t punished.

Atalanta 2-2 Man Utd

Another tough night for the skipper his form is awful the move to the back 3 certainly helped him vs Spurs but when Varane went off last night we were a shambles again.

Not always his fault we don't protect his lack of pace very well as a team and Atalanta were more than happy to send runners in behind him but their chances didn't really come down his side.

He'll be dissapointed with his positioning for their second goal was Bailly gets caught napping by the striker but Maguire hasn't moved across to narrow the gap and he's prayed for offside rather than play to the whistle and let VAR get the decision correct.

I didn't think he was doing very well last year, as I kept getting shot down on here when I said.

But this season he has dropped to a new low.

But it's not just him, the whole team seem to have regressed

Think it's certainly a him and Shaw problem both of them look all over the place.

Maguire just looks stiff and a yard short which is a problem when you weren't exactly quick to start with.

Confidence just seems to be gone and maybe that yard he's missing is in his head as he's not reading danger and is dithering in his decision making rather than making instant decisions to deal with dangerous situaitons.

I think everyone knows how I feel about Lindelof but on form this season you'd have him in ahead of Maguire feel like Enland could do us a favour and leave him out of the next squad let Maguire go on holiday for a week (not to Mykonos!).

Maybe all that soldiering on and not missing any games has finally taken it's toll on him.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have to say... I know at the back end of last year when he wasn't in the United team they really missed him but for the most part I do think he's overrated. He looks really good for England but I think that's in part because the pace is slower and England tend to control the ball more.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it. He's a very good player, he can be excellent at times but he's certainly not world class.

2 goals in 2 games for England and qualification for the world cup secured lets hope he comes back with a bit more confidence that has clearly been lacking this season.

He's now England's highest scoring centre back with 7 goals for the national team and the best penalty that any England player will ever score in a shoot out even if it ended up meaning nothing.

Think the week away with the England side might do him some good.

I just don't think he's a top club CB I really don't. I think playing for England suits him because England tend to dominate the ball and the pace is slower. He gets more time on the ball and he's not as troubled by players against him with pace. He's a very good CB for United but he's not world class.

Top clubs should be dominating the ball though and for England he looks better because the side is much better organised they aren't all over the place.

he makes way too many mistakes. Lets not forget England haven't exactly played decent sides in this qualifying.

I'm hoping he'll learn from Varane. And I do think the captains armband should be taken from him. But as someone else said, who you going to give it to. Which is a joke in itself.

he makes way too many mistakes. Lets not forget England haven't exactly played decent sides in this qualifying.

I'm hoping he'll learn from Varane. And I do think the captains armband should be taken from him. But as someone else said, who you going to give it to. Which is a joke in itself.

True but he was excellant during the Euro's think he made the team of the tournament and last season I think he was brilliant.

The individual mistakes are something that have really crept in this season and are a massive problem.

If he scores a towering header later today I hope he and all his team mates knee-slide towards the press box cupping their ears, just for giggles.

And on the Captaincy it didn't do Steve Bruce any harm being stripped of it by SAF but now Ole has said he won't he can't so Captain Maguire it stays.

And on the Captaincy it didn't do Steve Bruce any harm being stripped of it by SAF but now Ole has said he won't he can't so Captain Maguire it stays.

When did Bruce get stripped of the captaincy? Cantona took over when Bruce left didn’t he?

When did Bruce get stripped of the captaincy? Cantona took over when Bruce left didn’t he?

Google ain't helping much with the dates so i'd guess the 91/92 season, though he got the Captaincy back within 6 months. And yeah Cantona was Captain in the 96 FA cup Final in Bruce's absence and took the Captaincy full time the following season when Bruce joined Birmingham City.

Google ain't helping much with the dates so i'd guess the 91/92 season, though he got the Captaincy back within 6 months. And yeah Cantona was Captain in the 96 FA cup Final in Bruce's absence and took the Captaincy full time the following season when Bruce joined Birmingham City.

Wasn’t Robbo officially club captain until he left in 94?

Wasn’t Robbo officially club captain until he left in 94?

Club Captain yeah but Bruce was made team Captain, had it taken off him because his form suffered, but was reinstated before Robbo left.

Or I might be remembering that totally wrong, was at a match and Bruce wasn't wearing the armband and I can't for the life of me remember who was that day, if it had been Robbo it wouldn't have been the talk on the terraces that day - SAF cleared it all up a few days later I think.

Fair enough.

Anyway Maguire needs to sort his head out however it's done playing for Utd clearly isn't working for him anymore he's making mistakes that are very out of character from him and I think at this stage he needs saving from himself.

Could probably do with the fans getting off his back as well he's trying his best but it's not coming off.

I don't think it is out of character, I think united fans over rate him generally.

Yeah he makes a few mistakes normally but he's never played this badly for this long you wouldn't want him turning out for your sunday league team the way he's playing.

You can see the decision making is all over the place and he's doing things he wouldn't normally do.

Whatever is happening that lad should not have been on the pitch in recent games a better manager would have dropped him and took him out of the firing line for his own safety as this is how you destroy a player mentally.

For me it goes back to that Leicester game since then he's been all over the place.

The new manager needs to remove the armband from Maguire. That should be one of their first moves when the permanent manager is hired.

Who does he give it to?

You have to be very careful with stuff like that you could wipe him out completely by doing that to him in public.

Just don't play him it's that simple he's banned vs Chelsea anyway but he shouldn't be playing against Villareal either.

He should only lose the armband if his team mates feel he deserves to lose it.

Varane should get it.

Just based on experience, and knowing how to defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back