Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

jsp

Been at the club 5 minutes and injured twice?

Maguire to me up until this season has been the natural choice as captain but if they take it off him it'll be going straight to Ronaldo.

Really the captain is there to set the standards and Ronaldo sets the standards higher than anyone not just for himself but for his team mates same way Zlatan did. I know he doesn't press the opponent but he certainly works hard and never gives up and he hates losing he knows what it takes so if they did decide to change the captain it would have to be him as he is the big dog in the dressing room that everyone looks to.

jsp

True but circumstances where different then as the official club captain wasn't in the team every week so the armband was getting passed around game by game. Maguire stood out very early on as captain material from the way he carried himself and he was also going to be in the team every week so it made sense to give it to him I can only assume in the dressing room he was someone that Ole felt the players looked to as a leader.

I don't see Varane as captain material to be honest not sure how well he speaks the language and to me he seems like a follower not a leader he was never seen as a leader at Madrid or in the France team.

Maguire has faced the cameras alongside Carrick today for the pre game press conference he's said all the right things about how the players need to take responsibility and you can see how gutted they are that things went the way they did.

"The result on Saturday wasn't good enough. The results recently have not been good enough and unfortunately Ole has paid the price for that. We have to take a big responsibility as well," Maguire says.

"The players need to take responsibility for everything on the field. We were in this together. The manager has paid the price and we are all so disappointed for that.

"We haven't been good enough, we know that, we have spoken about that and now we must look forward.

"The manager spoke to us. It was an emotional day. We have huge respect for him. He said he will be supporting us and wanting us to win every game of football which obviously shows the values of the man."

jsp

Let's hope it continues with Varane still out for a while we need Maguire back at his best lets hope he's shaken off those confidence issues and we get a spell of him back at his best as I do maintain at his best there are very few better in this league.

Justin Cider

Back to his best, makes passing out from the back look effortless. Wouldn't swap him with anybody currently playing in the Premier League.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now