Harry Maguire incident in Greece

Practically the whole of the back four were to blame for that goal but I would day lindelof and awb were the major culprits

His positioning is so poor.

Literally one of his biggest strengths given how slow he is on the turn if his positioning wasn’t bang on he’d be getting the run around by nearly every striker in the league

I don’t die hard defend him. Just say it as I see it. You can’t say he’s worse than a player 3 or 4 years past their best.

As I said go and watch the league cup semi and then reevaluate your opinion. After one season you’ve already come to take him for granted.
As these are your opinions, you might want to not shout them so hard since you're also a moderator. Telling me my opinions are "laughable" and a "a joke" is not going to keep the peace. You should be okay with people disagreeing with you without having to label their views negatively. I know virtually nothing about you, so your opinions mean nothing to me taken at face value. I won't take your word for it, and if you can't make the case, then your opinion is just like anybody else's on the 'net.

And as far as Maguire goes, I just don't see him as one of the best in the league, let alone the world. I've been watching United for over 20 years, so it's not like I'm seeing my first centerback.

Umm... OK...

Laporte, VVD, Ramos, Koulibaly, Varane, Soyuncu, Upamecano, Gomez, Bonucci, Chiellini, Silva, de Ligt, Skriniar, Pique, Tarkowski. I'd take Ake over him to be honest.

Of course you can argue some of those but it's also my opinion.

I think we can agree on about half that list.

Pique, Silva, Chiellini are all done at the top level in my opinion legs are gone.
Tarkowski I’d like to see how he defends in a team where you don’t stick everyone behind the ball and let your full backs attack.
VVD, Laporte, Ramos and Varane im not going to argue about.
Upemekano I haven’t seen enough on to say either way but everything I hear he’s fantastic
Soyuncu one good season let’s see how he does next year he was poor after the restart.
Bournemouth always look dreadful at the back not saying that’s down to Ake but they let in plenty of goals.
I’ll take your word on the lads from Serie A I don’t see them play enough to pass much judgement.

On the pitch I think Maguire has had a huge positive impact on that defence he’s brilliant at playing out from the back, wins every header, rarely gets beaten one vs one (it does happen) and his leadership isn’t in doubt.

Look at the first goal the other night... It's not his mistake necessarily but the whole time after Lindelof makes the error he's in no man's land.

So Lindelof let’s the ball go up the line, AWB doesn’t track his runner, Maguire covers the cut back, Williams loses track his man at the back post and we are blaming that goal on Maguire.

Of the entire back 4 he’s the least at fault.

As these are your opinions, you might want to not shout them so hard since you're also a moderator. Telling me my opinions are "laughable" and a "a joke" is not going to keep the peace. You should be okay with people disagreeing with you without having to label their views negatively. I know virtually nothing about you, so your opinions mean nothing to me taken at face value. I won't take your word for it, and if you can't make the case, then your opinion is just like anybody else's on the 'net.

And as far as Maguire goes, I just don't see him as one of the best in the league, let alone the world. I've been watching United for over 20 years, so it's not like I'm seeing my first centerback.

I’m not going to treat anyone any differently because I’m a mod. (And your opinion means just as much as mine) However the players listed I did assume were a wind up. I genuinely thought that.

And I gave an opinion I asked you to go and rewatch the league cup semi final game and reevaluate your opinion. We had 27 clean sheets last season. He was the big difference.

In the last 20 years I think we have seen 3 centre backs better than Maguire in the Utd shirt. Stam, Vidic and Rio that is a very high bar of judgement but honestly can’t think of another one as good as Maguire.

Aye, you tell him. Their a cheeky lot these mods :D

In the last 20 years I think we have seen 3 centre backs better than Maguire in the Utd shirt. Stam, Vidic and Rio that is a very high bar of judgement but honestly can’t think of another one as good as Maguire.
And don't forget Rio himself was highly scrutinised and criticised for a number of years

United haven't had many good defenders in the last 20 years. Rio was around a long time, Vidic was too. The rest that they have had have been pretty poor and let's be honest Maguire is nowhere any of those 3 you name.

Pallister, Bruce, Stam.

So you name 1 that I named then 2 from over 20 years ago.

I see a lot of Pallister in Maguire comfortable on the ball but not quick needs a Bruce like partner to be the more aggressive partner but it’s a very different game now.

And don't forget Rio himself was highly scrutinised and criticised for a number of years

Yep think he was a bit younger when he came but took him a few years to fully settle and shake off his price tag wasn’t really until we got him alongside Vidic that he really shone.

Maguire has carried a poor defender in Lindelof this season I posted the stats the other day and in all defensive measure Maguire obliterates Lindelof.

Our defence last season was awful the worst defence we’ve had in 30 years this season it’s been amongst the best in the league. Maguire for me has been a big part of that improvement he’s far from perfect but he is a very good centre back.

Get someone who isn’t a complete liability next to him and I think we are on to something.

Any criticism of Maguire after the season he’s had is a bit of a joke really. He has improved our defence no end and the stats back that up. He’s not the perfect defender, he hasn’t got that pace but he is very very good at what he does. Think him and Van Dijk are the best in the league by a comfortable margin.

I feel like he’s unfairly judged against his transfer fee and that has no bearing in my assessment of him. We had to pay the big money because Leicester weren’t gonna budge at a smaller price.

Get a decent central defender that bounces of Maguire nicely then we have the makings of another top top quality pairing.

So you name 1 that I named then 2 from over 20 years ago.

I see a lot of Pallister in Maguire comfortable on the ball but not quick needs a Bruce like partner to be the more aggressive partner but it’s a very different game now.
I didn't see Stam's name when I read your post, and as I said I've been watching over 20 years, I thought 21 and 22 years might slide. Rio (2002-2014) & Vidic (2006-2014) had the CB spot locked locked down, and I'd agree that no one has come close to them in the 6 years since they left. From 2014 to Maguire it's been mostly misses. Is Maguire the best since they retired? Probably (I like Lindelof better.) Before Rio, it was Pallister, Bruce, and Stam.

Yep think he was a bit younger when he came but took him a few years to fully settle and shake off his price tag wasn’t really until we got him alongside Vidic that he really shone.

Maguire has carried a poor defender in Lindelof this season I posted the stats the other day and in all defensive measure Maguire obliterates Lindelof.

Our defence last season was awful the worst defence we’ve had in 30 years this season it’s been amongst the best in the league. Maguire for me has been a big part of that improvement he’s far from perfect but he is a very good centre back.

Get someone who isn’t a complete liability next to him and I think we are on to something.
Then there is Vidic and Evra - I remember it so clearly the year they both came into the team, there was some very forgettable performances from both of them and many doubted if either of them would make it. Evra especially, who took some time to adapt and find his mojo.

There’s a story going around that his sister was attacked which caused the original fight.

Reports that his sister was stabbed. If so fair play for jumping in and the right thing to do.

not quite stabbbed, poked with something like a cocktail stick I think.

It's not looking good for him, fighting, resisting arrest, punching a police officer, bribary.

not quite stabbbed, poked with something like a cocktail stick I think.

It's not looking good for him, fighting, resisting arrest, punching a police officer, bribary.
I thought the bribery aspect had been dropped?

I just read todays report, which is quite a bit different form "eye witness" reports on Saturday.

21 month suspended sentence apparently and a fine. All done, move on.

Never go back to Greece Harry lad.

Apparently he is going to appeal. Personally I would let it go and move on but there is something that doesn't smell right about it

The defence didn’t even have chance to review things from what I read. One big sham of a trial.

Had 12 hours to review the case before being in court.

No CCTV,no witnesses just one groups word against another so all the judge can go on is who’s story seems more believable.

I can see why Maguire wants to appeal he needs to clear his name his reputation is important to him and his potential career if he was guilty then chances are he pleads guilty knowing it’ll be a fine and suspended sentence.

Whole thing sounds shady as.

All seems very ridiculous. I imagine we must have a lawyer out there for him not but they’ll be unfamiliar with Greek law.

I guess the smart thing to do is just move on but I can see why he would want to appeal if he is innocent
He has had no criminal record. Who would suddenly want the serious matter of bribery on their file if their is no truth in it?
Such things need to be proven beyond doubt.

If he genuinely feels he can prove it then fair enough. At the moment it seems like one group of peoples word against another's. Presumably the appeal would be in their back garden.

If he genuinely feels he can prove it then fair enough. At the moment it seems like one group of peoples word against another's. Presumably the appeal would be in their back garden.
That's how it seems to be. Its for the prosecution to prove it, not for judge to just decide to believe one party with no evidence.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back