Haidara from Leipzig

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Seems to be the story that pops up the most during this window.

The message from the club seems to be that unless a summer target becomes available now they won't be making any moves but Utd really are risking CL qualification if they don't act on these midfield issues. There's also the issue of manager for next season we pretty much know it won't be Rangnick next season will the new guy want a player like Haidara? How much control will the next manager have over signings?

Hard to tell how much truth there is in this one the player is currently at AFCoN with Mali which would rule him out until early/mid feb anyway and it feels like a name that's only linked because Rangnick has the link to Liepzig through his previous jobs at Red Bull. There will also be work permit issues to resolve he will meet the criteria but it feels like the work permit system is a bit slower than it once was.

He's a young (just about to turn 24) energetic midfield player who's very direct in the way he plays which translates to he gives the ball away quite a bit. Would he look as good in the premier league where the midfield is much more physical than Germany that physical edge he has in Germany may not exist in England.

There's a lot of talk the deal is in place for 40m euros but it's not really being reported by anyone credible yet just all the usual transfer rumour pages.

I thought Ralphs future role was pin pointing players for the club

What exactly have we hired him for?

We just don't know all we know is he's got a 2 year consultancy role starting at the end of this season.

That could be a full time, part time or just a way of paying him to come for 6 months there's no real communication from Utd about what anyone does at the club behind the scenes. They could essentially pay him to do nothing but you'd hope there will be more clarity on what he does next season.

The reporting at the time of the appointment suggested he'd be staying on in a more behind the scenes role and assisting the club in appointing the next permanent manager. 6 months to work on the front line seeing where our problems are find us the next big up and coming manager to coach the players then 2 years behind the scenes sorting out all the behind the scene issues and securing the right players.

It's a pretty sad state but Utd almost need to ride out the Pep era and hope that he's going to bugger off in a season or two then being in position to pounce after that. While he's there with the backing he gets from their owners they're going to be almost unstoppable.

Conte could walk from Spurs in the summer if they don't back him he won't hang around if Rangnick hangs around I don't see Conte wanting to work under that sort of structure.

Most of the reporting now seems pretty consistent that it's Pochetinno or Ten Haag as Utd's first choices but they have to wait until the summer for either of them.

Poch is unlikely to want to work under a director of football who has a lot of control whereas Ten Haag might be more willing.

Whatever happens the road back even to second place looks a long one at this point starting from bloody scratch again it is this issue that Rangnick needs to sort out. Changing coach shouldn't require a complete rebuild of the squad every 3 seasons!

we are way off a title challange.

I can't see many of this squad being up to it. Mix of poor attitude and lack of talent

Honestly I don't really remember him from the games against Leipzig last season he's sort of known for being a really high tempo direct player likes to run with the ball in midfield. I do remember us being pulled all over teh place in both matches even though we won the home game 5-0 it was an odd game from memory quite a few of the goals came late when we kept punishing their high line.

Found this which is a bit old now but it was done when he moved from Salzburg to Leipzig to replace Naby Keita.

Sounds like he likes to run with the ball in midfield but passing can be a little bit loose sometimes from what I've read he's similar in style to Fred but probably a bit better with the ball at his feet.

I guess the word of caution is there's been quite a few players who've made the move to the PL from Germany and a lot have struggled to settle in. Werner, Keita and Kounate all came from Leipzig and we've not really seen them look up to much in the league so far.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back