Monday, 18th June 2018
Sweden v South Korea, 13:00

Saturday, 23rd June 2018
South Korea v Mexico, 16:00
Germany v Sweden, 19:00

Wednesday, 27th June 2018
South Korea v Germany, 15:00
Mexico v Sweden, 15:00​

I just read that and was about to post, what kind of squad have they got to leave him out :-O

Reading a few bits from people on twitter who watch quite a lot of the German side they say he's not actually had that many good games in the national team they obviously recognise the talent he's got but just isn't particularly effective for them so in Germany it's not as big a shock as it is here.

Must be a bit of a surprise when you read the article and it says he's played in 6 of their last 7 games!

He's featured in the last 7 not sure how many of those games have been starts and apparently he was poor against Austria so could just be that's he played his way out of the squad which seems crazy as he's been brilliant for City all season.

Shows the strength in depth that they do have that they can leave someone like him out because of his form.

Guess it was a fight between Sane and Brandt in the end and I know Brandt is rated very highly by some. Nonetheless though it’s a major surprise to see Sane omitted. You could also argue he’s unlucky to lose out to Reus who only returned from his his serious a couple of months ago.

Yeah but Germany tend to pick you based on your form at international level rather than for your club side and from the bits I've read online Sane just hasn't really convinced in the national team.

You wonder if there's a bit of loyalty shown to Reus as well he's missed a few tournaments with his injuries so maybe they felt they had to take him this time?

Yeah but Germany tend to pick you based on your form at international level rather than for your club side and from the bits I've read online Sane just hasn't really convinced in the national team.

You wonder if there's a bit of loyalty shown to Reus as well he's missed a few tournaments with his injuries so maybe they felt they had to take him this time?
Yeah there probably was a certain amount of loyalty towards him and he has a top top player when fit and firing.

I’m not even sure Draxler has done great for PSG the last season but again he has looked decent for the national team. So yeah can see why Sane was left out in the final tot up.

That's the thing with Germany they don't pay much attention to club form for years Podolski and Klose were boing very little in club football but were first names on the team sheet for Germany because they could be relied on.

Draxler has been a tad unlucky with the arrivals of Neymar & Mbappe 6 months after he joined them kind of pushed him down the pecking order, I don't see him play very often but looks quality every time I see him play and he was very good at the last euros.

Germany v Mexico - 17th June 2018

Germany:
Neuer; Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Plattenhardt; Khedira, Kroos; Muller, Ozil, Draxler; Werner.

Mexico: Ochoa; Salcedo, Ayala, Moreno, Gallardo; Herrera, Guadardo; Layun, Vela, Lozano; Hernandez.

Very much looking forward to this game. I've lived for 5 years in Germany and become a big fan of their national team. They're the ones I'm rooting for at this WC.

Love watching Toni Kroos play absolute master at work in midfield. Enjoy Draxler as well he really should be playing week in week out somewhere rather than being a squad player at PSG.

Mexico made a good start but think they’ll run out of steam second half and Germany will punish them.

Mexico looking the better side. Cut Germany apart at ease just not having the finish touches

Great counter attack goal.

Ozil can’t let him cut back on his right like that you have to force him down the line.

Lozano has looked lively can see why he’s built a reputation in Holland but he needs to work on that left peg if he could go both ways he’d be lethal.

Germany has been lazy in the first half and too slow getting back. It's no wonder Mexico punished them. They played a very dynamic and fluid football. Let's see how they will change their approach in the second half.

Slow, complacent, unimaginative. Germany has been really poor today. Mexico definitely deserve to win this one after taking the fight to the Germans.

Slow, complacent, unimaginative. Germany has been really poor today. Mexico definitely deserve to win this one after taking the fight to the Germans.
How did Germany play overall? Did they get any better or were they generally poor all game?

I’ve seen a few guys on Twitter lament Low for dropping Sane now they’ve lost the first game.

They got better but not what you expect of them. Gomez missed a sitter for the equaliser.

How did Germany play overall? Did they get any better or were they generally poor all game?

I’ve seen a few guys on Twitter lament Low for dropping Sane now they’ve lost the first game.

Not impressive at all going forward hit the woodwork twice once on a free kick but struggled to open up their defence in open play and Mexico could really have won by more with better decision making on counter attack.

Not sure Sane was what was missing they still had Draxler, Reus & Brandt to provide that sort of cutting edge and Brandt hit the post with a belter of a strike. Those who’ve watched Germany a lot suggest Sane being left out wasn’t surprising as he’s just not the same player in the national side but people in the UK probably can’t believe it because he’s been so good in the prem.

that Gomez miss was a shocker.

I thought Germany looked ok, not quite on it but you could see they have quality.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1-0 Mexico

Big pressure on Germany if it stays like this as they’ll need a win even a draw leaves them in a tricky position as Sweden/Mexico could play out a draw for both to go through.

Lozano looking bright again.

2-0

Lozano on the break sets it up for Chicharito.

50th goal for Mexico very well taken cut inside the defender and beat the keeper at his near post.

Germany is playing a lot better today. They seem more alert, more mobile, quicker and sharper. They are quick going forward and use the wings to take advantage of the whole width of the pitch. Could this be because Ozil is not on the pitch and every ball forward does not have to go thorough him?

What a stupid way to givw the ball away. Kroos was utterly s**t vs Mexico and has been just as awful today.

As expected, Sweden has parked the bus. Germany resorts to crosses into the box.

Great save from Neuer and the end of the first half. Germany's challenge in the second half will be to crack Sweden's defence open. So far, their attempts have been very predictable. They need someone to try and pick out a pass that will slice Sweden's defence into two. They should also keep it tidy at the back. The Swedes have proven that they can hurt them badly on the counter attack.

:D

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back