Peru v Denmark, 17:00

Thursday, 21st June 2018
Denmark v Australia, 13:00
France v Peru, 16:00

Tuesday, 26th June 2018
Australia v Peru, 15:00
Denmark v France, 15:00

France v Australia - 16th June 2018

France: Lloris, Pavard, Varane, Umtiti, Hernandez, Tolisso, Pogba, Kante, Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele

Australia: Ryan, Risdon, Milligan, Sainsbury, Behich. Jedinak, Mooy, Leckie, Rogic, Kruse, Nabbout

11am start. Lovely.

So much quality in that French side. I think they’ll have too much quality for the Australians but Australia always play with plenty of heart and passion. Should be a good game hopefully.

0-0 at half time. How have France performed in the first half?
They started well and it looked like it could be a long game for the Aussies. But as time went on France were sloppy and poor and in the end Australia were very comfortable.

To be honest I forgot Pogba was playing. They don’t really need Kante and Tolisso playing either, they need to bring on another forward minded player, maybe Fekir?

2-1 France. Goal given to Pogba but it was an own goal all day long Pogba didn't even shoot he was controlling it past the player.

France were very underwhelming. I think they work better with someone like Giroud up top and I wouldn’t be surprised if one or Dembele/Mbappe is dropped next game for him.

Australia play with a lot of heart but I think they lack someone with that bit of quality in the final third. Cahill used to do that for them but obviously he’s now 38 so will be a bit of an impact sub I would imagine.

The CM who played alongside Kante will surely be dropped?

Peru will be unlucky if they come out of this without a point. But that penalty was shocking.

he does over complicate things. I am feeling more and more he is a problem for united and we need to sell him. He is surrouned by pure quality in that French side and still can't do it.

I like look of the French right back, I think they said he plays at Stuggart, Pavard

France are one to watch for sure because they seem organised enough to keep teams out and they definitely have the star power in attack to win games.

he does over complicate things. I am feeling more and more he is a problem for united and we need to sell him. He is surrouned by pure quality in that French side and still can't do it.

I like look of the French right back, I think they said he plays at Stuggart, Pavard

France's problem is they don't play as a team they're great individuals but they're not a team yet, the guy who seems to make them play more as a team especially up top is Giroud so I think it's a good decision to bring him back in. He's a fantastic centre forward when it comes to bringing others into the game kind of like Benzema the only issue Giroud has is he has spells where he misses a lot of chances.

Pogba didn't have these problems at Juventus he fitted into a team perfectly because he had a role in that team and he wasn't expected to be the main man all the time in midfield, some games it was him other days it was Pirlo other days it was Vidal. With France & Utd it's always got to be Pogba and when he has an off day no one else steps up and takes responsibility in midfield.

I think the problem with the French team is the coach he doesn't know his best system or his best players in that system he chops and changes all the time to try and please everyone rather than just stick to his guns even if it means leaving a popular player out. 3-5-2 to me would be the best system to go for it gets Griezmann up top in a front 2 which is what he wants and puts Pogba in a 3 in midfield which is what he wants but it would mean no Mbappe or Dembele.

Griezmann was excellent yesterday in that 433, and it also means Pogba is already playing in a 3.

It's about time we stoped defending Pogba, we are basically saying that he could play in a team that no longer exists and he is in effect useless in any other team?

How can he have an awful 45 mins for united, then with the same players around him come out and have brilliant 45 mins, but it's not his fault, its teh system or the players around him.

The problem isn't the formation, or the players around him, the problem is Pogba.

I am a big fan off Pogba, I have a pet named after him, but how long can we keep defending him, saying he needs this and he needs that. He is at the age where he should be bossing games, and he only shows it in glimpses. Keane and Giggs were right, all the best players do teh simple things, and do them really well. He doesn't do that.

The rumours were Madrid would take him as part of teh Bale deal, do you think on what they are seeing they will want him? They be better off getting Savic or Verratti, both of whom I would for Pogba in an instant. Sadly.

I hope he turns it around next season

I wish there was an edit button, I never see all my typing errors until it's posted :-(

I haven't seen the game but every report I've read on it says he was the man of the match.

The bit I've seen of their first game he created the chance for the penalty and scored the winner.

Yes Pogba is flawed, yes you have to make certain accomodations to get the best from him but he is not responsible for all the teams problems

I didn’t see the whole match but he was being slaughtered by people in the pub last night (not united fans)

Pogba is a bit of a marmite guy people either like him or hate him.

Two people can watch Pogba play and one will think he's been good and another will say he's rubbish.

Pogba is a defensive liability but France have scored 3 goals in this tournament and he's been heavily involved in all of them he's in the team to create chances and the system they play allows him to be slack defensively. The issue really I see with Pogba is peope want him to be all things to all men but that isn't him he isn't perfect but people have a pre formed opinion on him that they won't deviate from. Now the reason some people judge him as if he's a super hero of some sort is because he's kind of created a brand and image around being that and he's almost struggling to live up to the hype around him. It's very similar to Ozil you either enjoy watching that type of player or you don't you accept he's a defensive liability but enjoy what he does with the ball or you might enjoy a guy who loves smashing into tackles but can't pass more than 5 yards.

I heard first half in the first game he was having a bit of a stinker but second half he improved and last night he was showing off a bit and over playing at times but he also created the goal with his perfect pass to Giroud which is what he's in the team for.

My only issue with Pogba is that defending and winning the ball back has been a weakness in his game all the way from kids football and it doesn't really look like he's done much work trying to improve that.

I don't want him to be all things, I want him to be something. He just doesn't do enough and what he does do can be awful. He didn't have a good yesterday, he was pretty average throughout.

The main reason people, press, the French etc. get on at him is because he and his agent give off the big I am feeling, like he's up there for the ballon d'or. Reality is he is not as good as they think he is and he is way off that level.

He seriously needs to improve, and all this searching for a new club every couple of years doesn't help. Just concentrate on your football mate. Because you could be top drawer. Stop thinking some things are below you and do it all, do it all well and then excel in an area once you can do it all well.

What is Pogba's job in the French team? Score and create chances. Is he doing that? Yes

Forget the nonsense off the pitch with him and his agent judge him as a footballer not as a human being. Ryan Giggs banged his brothers wife behind his back for years doesn't mean he wasn't a brilliant footballer just means he's a bit of sh*t person.

Also Giggs and his brothers wife is completely irrelevant.

Giggs didn't walk around teh big I am demanding to be centre of attention in a team, threatening to leave when he wasn't etc. He also could actually back it up on the pitch.

How come it's ok for Pogba to score a flukey goal which in reality was an ok and you say he is doing his job even though he is awful for the other 90 mins. But you bang on about Jose and his style, even though he actually does get the results.

I've seen the highlights which won't tell the full picture and as I said I didn't watch the games in full but I've heard 3 or 4 pundits give Pogba man of the match on radio and podcasts I've listened to since the game yesterday. Which is why I was surprised to hear him getting criticism since he's probably one of the few parts of the French team that's actually doing alright.

As I said in both games he provided the key pass that led to a goal and yeah he did score a flukey one but without his run into the box that doesn't happen.

I said Pogba's job is to score & create chances for others from the bits I've seen in both games he's done what he's in the team to do.

Why bring my opinion on the manager into it?

As I said Pogba is marmite or brexit if you want to use the modern equivalent it's very hard to not be arsed either way you either love him or hate him it's exactly the same with the manager and neither answer is right or wrong its all down to personal preference.

I brought your opinion on the manager because you basically said it doesn't matter how Pogba does his job as long as he does it. But you don't give Jose the same grace, who is doing his job, winning trophies and improving the position in the league.

Anyway back to Pogba. I'd be amazed if anyone gave him man of the match yesterday, it probably should have gone to a Peru player if anything. But Griezzman was the best French player by far. Pogba did a couple of nice things but also made some awful decisions and again doesn't really cover enough of the pitch for me.

To be fair to Pogba, a lot of the French players were poor.

I've always said I respect Mourinho's results I just don't enjoy watching him get them and I've said on paper you can't knock what he's done 2 trophies in teh first season and runner up in the league in the second season, best points total in 5 years etc etc but I can say is I don't particularly enjoy watching his teams play it's a personal preference.

yeah, I don't think anyone does really, but I like to think of the long term goal, I don't think that style is going to be finished product.

back to the group, I thought the French right back looked good, but surprisingly, I thought Varane made a couple of errors. But to be fair, a lot of the side were poor, Umtitti, Matuidi, Mbappe

Australia 0-2 Peru
Denmark 0-0 France

1st France 7 pts
2nd Denmark 5 pts
3rd Peru 3 pts
4th Australia 1 pts

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back