Glazers to consider selling Manchester United? Official: Ratcliffe Acquires 25% of United shares

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty grim reading. I’d suggest pouring a stiff drink before diving in.

Think these results always look pretty awful in isolation as you incur big costs on transfers in the period with fairly low income as there's 6 weeks of no gate receipts but everyone still gets paid. You tend to build your cash reserve in the quarter before when all the season ticket money for next season comes in along with TV/prize money.

The bigger story really is for the first time since 2016 the board did not approve the half year dividend.

You could read that as they're leaving money in the business to make it look healthier on paper to the potential buyers.

I think because of the stock being public they'd have to release statements if they're in negotiations to sell. I would assume at this stage they're still in the process of attracting bidders at some point they'll go into exclusive negotiations when the bidder will be allowed to conduct due diligence to buy the stock.

Those who monitor the club finances and know what they're talking about don't paint a healthy picture at the moment.

Commercial growth has pretty much ended attracting new sponsors to replace the current ones is proving difficult. The current shirt sponsor is actually worth less than the previous one per season for example. Others have gone up but the net effect is basically nil growth over the last few years.
TV revenues are now unpredictable as the club is no longer a guaranteed champions league team every season.
Ticket Revenues is steady but they've not been able to increase prices for a long time and no europa league matches generate less that champions league games.

To me the above is all down to the Glazers their poor management of the club has resulted in a huge drop off in the on field performance and their toxic relationship with the fans is turning off sponsors.

It's why they have to go.

To me the above is all down to the Glazers their poor management of the club has resulted in a huge drop off in the on field performance and their toxic relationship with the fans is turning off sponsors.

It's why they have to go.
Oh it is quite clear where the blame lies for the current state of our club.

Oh it is quite clear where the blame lies for the current state of our club.

You could say they've been let down by their management team the running of the football side under Woodward was a disaster but ultimately they never did anything about it. Woodward resigned in shame due to failed ESL project not because the club was in rapid decline.

The buck always stops with them, ever since they riddled the club with massive debt. The leeches are solely responsible for our decline, the management team were mere Glazer puppets.

From the article:

Ten Hag: “My information is that it will only be good things, because there will be more investment possible, which is good”

United’s chief executive Richard Arnold told Ten Hag about the Glazers’ decision to sell, or attract new investment into the club.

“He said they’re open and transparent,” Ten Hag says. “We spoke about the culture we want, we spoke about objectives, goals and the culture and he confirmed it won’t change, that it will be even better because more money will become available for this project.”

Also being reported that the Raine Group who are handling the sale on behalf of the Glazers are aiming for a sale to be agreed in the first quarter of 2023 so by the end of March.

They are aiming for a sale price of between £6-7bn.

The new owners will inherit all of the clubs existing debts. You would hope repaying that debt through capital investment would be considered as part of the price they offer to the Glazers.

Avram was approached after the game last night, “It’s not necessarily a sale, it’s a process and we’re going forward with the process, so we’ll see what happens.”

Nobody is going to pay 6b, laughable with all the investment/debt clearance needed

What he said was basically word for word what the club statement said but all the talk is of a sale.

They are exploring all options but the most likely outcome is a sale.

Truth is further investment into the clubs facilities regardless of who the owner is will come with borrowed money but to borrow the money for the stadium/training ground development they'll probably need to clear the current debts as the business is already highly leveraged to the banks.

Chelsea sold for £2.5bn with the previous owner writing off the clubs debts to him which I think were close to £1bn. Utd is a lot more valuable an asset so my guess is they feel they can get double what someone paid for Chelsea.

Anyone who comes in is buying it either as a sports washing trophy asset or as a long term asset investment speculating that the growth in football isn't done and that in 10 years time it'll be worth £10bn.

Other than removing the debt the club doesn't need personal capital injection to function and thrive it just needs to be run properly which it hasn't been for a very long time.

Can’t see them going for a club like Utd the fans wouldn’t stand for it Utd are to big a club to be allowed to be used for sports washing.

I'd rather United kept getting relegated and ended up the Conference than be owned by some of the names being touted.

Better the Devil you know, always.

I was reading an unrelated article about the WNBA player Brittney Griner who was jailed in Russia when this excerpt caught my eye:

"Now we’re getting into several crisscrossing aspects of our investigation into Jeffrey Epstein and the NBA:
Y'all remember Apollo Global, the US private equity firm our beloved owners were trying to get into bed with? When we were wondering who would be stupid enough to invest billions in non-voting shares of a company ran by morons, here's the answer. Laundering drug money at arms length through the UAE. Granted, it's a bit of 2 and 2 making 5, but, it's not that much of a stretch to link drug banks in the middle east, US investment firms and American/middle eastern owners buying up football clubs. At the very least it's another reason to say a big giant no to either taking us over.

This has to be complete before the end of the season the new owners need to be in place before we go into the transfer window next summer.

Been writing on here for years I want him to buy us, maybe he listened at last

I hope this comes off

I know he's a United fan but he was desperate to buy Chelsea last year!

Not sure he's our man, though as part of a consortium he'd be useful.

He couldn't have been that desperate, didn't his offer go in after the deadline

Don't know if it was an afterthought or he was just trying to gazump but it was just before the deadline.

He submitted his bid for Chelsea after the deadline had passed they could have considered it but didn't.

Yes he's a Utd fan but he's also a business man there will need to be something in this for him and his consortium so lets hear his ideas before we decide if he's the white knight saviour. I mean his current side Nice isn't exactly pulling up trees in France.

I did see something reported that there's a mid Feb deadline for bidders to come forward and make offers and I suspect the Glazers will take the offer that is best for them even if it isn't necessarily the best offer for the club.

Difficult, really we want an oil rich country bringing all their money. But then you have the human rights issues etc.

SJR seems ideal, good old United fan. But he does need to dip his hand in his pocket for the team and the stadium.

He submitted his bid for Chelsea after the deadline had passed they could have considered it but didn't.

Yes he's a Utd fan but he's also a business man there will need to be something in this for him and his consortium so lets hear his ideas before we decide if he's the white knight saviour. I mean his current side Nice isn't exactly pulling up trees in France.

I did see something reported that there's a mid Feb deadline for bidders to come forward and make offers and I suspect the Glazers will take the offer that is best for them even if it isn't necessarily the best offer for the club.

So he's losing his marbles then? That's all we need a forgetful owner, money or no money.

Thing is he won't be dipping into his pocket for any of that. The stadium will be developed by borrowing money from either a bank or a loan from the consortium that buys the club which will be paid back over time.

Any new owner will likely pay off the current debts to the banks as part of the takeover as this is a bad debt for the business to have on it's books after a takeover is completed.

The new owners will all come with baggage you don't come into billions without making a few enemies along the way.

I just want owners that are going to run the money side of the club sensibly and give it a well run structural organisation that delivers results on the pitch.

So he's losing his marbles then? That's all we need a forgetful owner, money or no money.

The rumour at the time was he did it as a bit of a PR stunt to let the world know he was in the market for a premier league club.

The rumour at the time was he did it as a bit of a PR stunt to let the world know he was in the market for a premier league club.

Yeah I did mean to add that, more a get the Glazers to approach him to see if he'd be interested in United when he had that sort of money to invest, rather than him going to them and appearing too keen. More likely to get the club slightly cheaper that way.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back