Gareth Bale Revisited Part III

I thought we were slating him for his signings and how they haven’t really worked out. Also what about the youngsters who have improved under him? Are we just going to ignore them and focus only on the negatives?

What youngsters are they mate, I love the fact that United fans still call Lingard a youngster, the guy is 25, he's had his best season yes but he has hardly been nurtured and developed, he should be in his prime years!

McTominey yes has been given his chance has done well, fair play.

He's destroyed Shaw, Martial looks a shadow of the player he was and Rashford has gone backwards, are there any I'm missing?

I was going to ask what age do we define youngsters. Why is it he is being rated against only young players anyway?

Perhaps we should just say players.

Pogba has said he has learnt and improved
Lukaku has improved
Young you could say has learnt a new role and improved
Matic has learnt under Jose at Chelsea and united
Lingard as you say
De Gea has had two unreal seasons
Smalling looks better under Jose
Libdeloff has improved, granted still not up to speed

Martial and Rashford, I don't think they have gone backwards, Martial has always been up and down it's up to him to get that consistency and get his mentality right. Rashford has had a good season, unless you are basing it on the last 3 weeks of the season. Let's not be unfair to Rashford, he's still a young boy learning.

I just see all this as Jose bashing. Just say you don't like that's good enough, we don't need to make excuses.

I'm not a massive of Jose myself (football wise, I really like him as a man and in the press room - more the old Jose mind, from Chelsea), but he has done nothing wrong so far, he has taken the club from a right mess and is moving it forward.

What youngsters are they mate, I love the fact that United fans still call Lingard a youngster, the guy is 25, he's had his best season yes but he has hardly been nurtured and developed, he should be in his prime years!

McTominey yes has been given his chance has done well, fair play.

He's destroyed Shaw, Martial looks a shadow of the player he was and Rashford has gone backwards, are there any I'm missing?
McTominey has done well under him and stepped up to the first team. Rashford has improved. He has been directly involved in 19 of our goals this season which is the highest in his fledgling career. Lingard you can debate all you want whether he is a youth or not but the fact remains that he has also improved immensely under mourinho. So like I said you can focus on luke shaw and martial and keep moaning or you can look at the good work he has done and appreciate it. Btw luke shaw’s attitude has been questioned by three managers not only Mourinho. So Shaw’s poor season is on him.

I thought we were slating him for his signings and how they haven’t really worked out. Also what about the youngsters who have improved under him? Are we just going to ignore them and focus only on the negatives?

Like who bud? What youngsters has he improved?

McTominay
Lingard
Rashford

Have all improved under Mourinho you could even argue Martial now is a better player than he was 2 years ago.

The only youngster I think who clearly hasn't improved is Luke Shaw but there are clearly other circumstances to that in his first season under Jose he was injured a lot and it's clear the manager doesn't trust him.

Like who bud? What youngsters has he improved?
McTominey has done well under him and stepped up to the first team. Rashford has improved. He has been directly involved in 19 of our goals this season which is the highest in his fledgling career. Lingard you can debate all you want whether he is a youth or not but the fact remains that he has also improved immensely under mourinho. So like I said you can focus on luke shaw and martial and keep moaning or you can look at the good work he has done and appreciate it. Btw luke shaw’s attitude has been questioned by three managers not only Mourinho. So Shaw’s poor season is on him.

McTominay
Lingard
Rashford

Have all improved under Mourinho you could even argue Martial now is a better player than he was 2 years ago.

Rashford hasn't improved in to the player we all thought he was going to in his third year with the team. And there's no clear path forwards for him .I mean if they sign a striker this summer then where does that leave him? He's in and out of the team as is Martial. And Martial was just hitting form when he was dropped for Sanchez

What is t you exactly expect from Rasjford, he's 20. He can't play every game, Rooney and Owen were ruined by playing too much too young. He's also not ready to play that much.

Jose used him loads last season so he is getting the minutes.

Rashford hasn't improved in to the player we all thought he was going to in his third year with the team. And there's no clear path forwards for him .I mean if they sign a striker this summer then where does that leave him? He's in and out of the team as is Martial. And Martial was just hitting form when he was dropped for Sanchez
Certain things can be improved upon by the player himself. For example rashford needs to improve his finishing. If he were more clinical he would have ended up with more goals. Mourinho cannot improve that or go on the pitch and finish his chances for him. His composure when on one on one situation with the goalkeeper also needs improvement. These cannot be coached. They are instincts which need to be developed by the player. I am pretty happy with how he has progressed here.

Well who decided by 20 he was going to be like Brazilian Ronaldo? No one could predict accurately what that kid would become it's just not possible to project potential without getting yourself caught up in hype.

Is it really 3 years with the team he played about 2 months under LVG and had this unbelievable hot streak but you look at him now he's a much more rounded player.

Rashford is doing just fine he improves every year as you'd expect from a young kid and hopefully one day soon he'll make that Ronaldo style jump where he goes from being a potential star into an actual star.

Well who decided by 20 he was going to be like Brazilian Ronaldo? No one could predict accurately what that kid would become it's just not possible to project potential without getting yourself caught up in hype.

Is it really 3 years with the team he played about 2 months under LVG and had this unbelievable hot streak but you look at him now he's a much more rounded player.

Rashford is doing just fine he improves every year as you'd expect from a young kid and hopefully one day soon he'll make that Ronaldo style jump where he goes from being a potential star into an actual star.
Agree with this the kid is doing good, easy to forget that he is just twenty.

Ruined Rooney by being played to early? I don't think he has had to bad a career!

Will people please stop calling Lingard a youngster, he's older than half our squad ffs.

Hopefully that kid Pogba will kick on next year, another youngster that will improve under Jose haha

I think rashford is about where he should be in terms of development. Just needs patience on both sides.

@Edgy1968 Lingard is young in terms of his career he's only really had 3 seasons as a first team player at Utd and I'd say it's hard to argue against the fact he's improving every year. He's 25 now so he's not a kid it's time for him to show if he's good enough if he can repeat what he did last season then he's got a case for being a squad player at Utd but if he can't then it'll be time for him to move on. He's never going to be Ronaldo but could he get himself to be a Nani/Valencia/Park level player Lingard reminds me a lot of Park.

As for Rooney that boy was a freak if he was African people would've been asking to see his birth certificate because at 16 he was in a 25 year olds body.

I know that Pogba thing is meant as a joke but it's a fair point though he's one who hasn't improved under Mourinho you could argue similar with Bailly & Lindelof all these guys should still be developing and improving as players and currently they aren't doing that as what you expect to see as players start hitting 24/25 is consistency and Pogba needs to bring that.

I think as a footballer you should be improving every year until you retire the only thing that should start to let you down is the body as a player you should become smarter, more aware, your touch and decision making should always continue to improve as you get older that's experience so you don't rely on your speed and reflexes as much. That is where I think Rooney suffered as he got older his game still had a lot of rough edges to it but without that bull in a china shop intensity it wasn't really effective anymore whereas a guy like Giggs learned how to play almost walking football in his later years.

@Edgy1968

I know that Pogba thing is meant as a joke but it's a fair point though he's one who hasn't improved under Mourinho

Ignoring the fact Pogba has said he has learnt under Jose.

Rooney I'm afraid wasn't much good the last few years at united, and he's only 32 and going to USA. He played too much too young.

I don't rate players improvement by age, it's irrelevant, a player should be progressing every year throughout his career.

Ignoring the fact Pogba has said he has learnt under Jose.

Rooney I'm afraid wasn't much good the last few years at united, and he's only 32 and going to USA. He played too much too young.

I don't rate players improvement by age, it's irrelevant, a player should be progressing every year throughout his career.

If he's asked that question he can hardly say he hasn't learned can he but I don't watch Pogba now and see a better player than the one who arrived he looks basically the same player to me. I'd say it's fair he's learned a new position playing deeper in a midfield 2 rather than a 3 but he still doesn't look comfortable in that role.

The Rooney thing is funny because he had a 10 year career at the very top from 18-28 that boy was basically a world class footballer I don't think many players sustain that level for that long in world football.

Can I just say guys... And I know I'm partly to blame too but we are off topic here. Really good interesting discussion but let's do that in a more appropriate thread.

I guess bringing things back on topic... The Bale situation has perhaps now changed with Zidane stepping down?

I think it all depends on Ronaldo if he stays and I'm 99% convinced he will as he does this every year then I think Bale will still go as you just can't get them both in the the same team.

I can only really see 2 options for Bale and both will involve him having to take a big pay cut.

Man Utd are the only club who I think could pay the fee and the sort of wages he'd want.
Bayern Munich could potentially offer to take him in exchange for Lewendowski.

PSG are tied up with FFP problems maybe they could swap Bale for Mbappe but I don't think they want to do that.

His salary traps him in Madrid unless he's prepared to take the money in China but even then I don't think those contracts are really on offer there anymore.

maybe PSG will buy him and let us have Verratti to fund it, or partially fund it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You know what... I think the new Real manager announcement could help us to get Bale if we are truly interested.

He's a passing based manager who likes players with an eye for a pass and good movement from what I've been told I think his appointment is great news for players like Isco but perhaps not for Bale.

The reports over the weekend were that Madrid are going to make an improved contract offer to Ronaldo to try and shut him up.

I guess it will all come down to what Madrid are prepared to let him go for and what Bale wants from the contract as it was very obvious that 12 months ago Mourinho really wanted Bale but since then we've signed Sanchez which probably changes his plans a bit but a front 3 of Sanchez Lukaku Bale could work but it would put a lot of defensive responsibility on the midfield 3.

I can see why Utd would want him but I really think we'd be better served sorting out the defence before adding another striker/attacker if we bring in Bale I think you have to sell Martial & probably Mata.

I don't really see the need for Bale to be honest. Be nice but as you say, more important area's need addressing. I was hoping we'd sign a CB before the WC.

The CB thing seems to be another one where Spurs want silly money for Alderwiereld 70m I've heard online so Utd are waying up other options.

Think getting 2 deals done before the world cup is good work by Utd the issue is after the world cup there's only going to be 2-3 weeks between the final and our window closing so it's going to be tough to sign anyone who goes deep in the tournament without then letting them miss a lot of pre season for their holidays.

I don't really see the need for Bale to be honest. Be nice but as you say, more important area's need addressing. I was hoping we'd sign a CB before the WC.

I can see what you mean but I just can't agree. You always want to add a player of the quality of Bale. I mean he's a better player than Sanchez and so far I think it's fair to say Sanchez has not performed. Now OK he might next year having had more time with the team but I absolutely would not turn down the chance to sign a player like Bale.

I can see what you mean but I just can't agree. You always want to add a player of the quality of Bale. I mean he's a better player than Sanchez and so far I think it's fair to say Sanchez has not performed. Now OK he might next year having had more time with the team but I absolutely would not turn down the chance to sign a player like Bale.

Would you take Bale if it meant no other signings this summer?

The only issue I have with Bale is the thing that made him world class was his explosive speed and strength alongside his incredible technique for striking a ball but he's not the same player who left for Madrid 5 years ago he's kind of doing what Ronaldo did and changing from a dribbling winger into more of a centre forward which is where he plays for Wales. I think he's had to change because his body can't handle the long sprints and defensive work that comes with playing wide so he'd need to be indulged and covered for by others in the team. The thing is will he be as ruthless a goalscoring centre forward as Ronaldo became when he made that change and would Mourinho be prepared to change his system to create that position?

I think there would need to be comprimises if the deal was going to happen Madrid need to be prepared to accept a fee lower than what they paid as they've had the best years out of him and Bale would need to reduce his current salary because unless he goes to China no one will match what Madrid are paying him. If we matched his current deal he'd be earning close to double what Sanchez, Pogba, De Gea & Lukaku earn and that will cause problems in the squad.

The compromise for Utd is we'd probably have to sell Martial and possibly even Mata to create space in the front line for Bale because if he comes that is 3 guaranteed starters up top leaving you Rashford/Lingard as cover for those 3 positions.

If we hadn't signed Sanchez I could see us taking that gamble but having done that deal I just think Utd need to focus in other areas first. This squad doesn't need more superstars it needs balance to get more out of the ones who are there.

The reports today seem to be that. He’s decided to stay out and give it a go under the new management now he’s not under Ronaldo’s shadow.

I dunno if the reports about hazard are true then he stil doesn't have a starting spot in the team.

The reports are he likes life in Madrid even though he's struggled to learn the language, he's on a fantastic contract and his main problem was he'd fallen out with Zidane who's now gone so why not give it another go he obviously backs himself as a player.

Not sure what system this new guy plays so there might be space for Hazard, Isco & Bale in the side.

If I were Real I would cash in on an injury prone player. If I were Bale I'd stay at Madrid.

I don't think he'll move, I hope united don't wait on this and actually buy someone for the right, dunno who though.

I tend to agree if Madrid could get their money back I think they'd be a bit mad not to take it but a Bale level quality player now costs double what they paid for him so if they got £100m for him the next Bale level players are being priced at £150-200m.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back