Sideshow Bob

I think we'd probably be happy to sell him assuming they're offering a realisic fee which for Fellaini should be £15-20m but will he want to go there? Due to the way the tax works there they can probably afford to pay him close to what he earns at Utd.

It's quite hard to get players to leave Man Utd because life there is so good for them.

Hard to see any of our CM's leaving this summer, 1 at the max can go unless there are 2 or 3 coming in or Pereira and Fosu-Mensah are going to be trusted then only 1 or 2 will be needed depending on formation we plan to go with primarily. If the end of this season has taught Mourinho anything it's that he needs a bigger squad and more quality throughout the squad. A big squad isn't needed if we just concentrate on the league but Mourinho has shown until recently when he felt he needed to, that he has no interest in just concentrating on one competition.

If Carrick stays and we are going for a 2 man midfield that means we probably need 5 in total with Carrick as your 5th.

Fellaini isn't good enough to play those deeper positions but he is occasionally effective as a number 10, when we go direct but surely our number 10 needs to be a proper playmaker not a battering ram.

Pogba & Herrera are staying, Carrick may stay so that makes 3 then if Fellaini leaves. You then have 2 spots either 2 new signings or 1 new signing plus Fosu-Mensah. If Carrick does decide to retire then you have Fosu-Mensah as the 5th choice but that kid needs to play 20 games next season, I don't think he has full trust of Mourinho.

I think he's got to go when he plays our passing game disappears and while he produces the occasional good performance he isn't good enough to play for a team that wants to win the league. I also can't stand watching him.

I think he's probably better than the Turkish league to be fair, I've always thought he would do well in Serie A. He's certainly not everyone's cup of tea but he does a good job, even though he's technically not that sound. I don't think anyone of our managers apart from Moyes would have bought him but Jose doesn't seem to mind him. Think it's 50/50 whether he leaves to be honest.

I think tactically he's actually pretty good, you give him a role and he sticks to it that's why he's been popular with managers like Van Gaal, Mourinho and the national team managers. He doesn't try risky things because he knows his limitations so he will do what he's told to the best of his ability, defensively he has a bad habit of switching off and because of his size he gives away a lot of fouls. Technically he's limited his touch and control are very good but he can't operate at high speed and his passing is limited to being short and physically he's obviously not particularly fast or agile but he is very strong.

I think what you say about Serie A might be correct but not many clubs there can afford his wages and transfer fee, the reports are he's on between £100-120k a week a Utd and I think we've activated an extension clause so he has 2 years to run. Inter & Milan have had new investment and might be able to throw some money around but Inter have alraedy fallen foul of FFP regulations so they probably need to sell before they can buy as they already have restrictions on their squad in Europe. Also, not sure their fans would be happy with Fellaini as a signing for the same reasons we weren't. I can't say I watch loads of Serie A but the game is very tactical and players need to be flexible as managers will often change formation 2 or 3 times in a game but it's a little bit less physically intense than the prem but the technical level is very high.

He obviously wouldn't suit Spain as technically he's not good enough, Germany/France are probably to quick, in terms of style he totally suits the Premier League it's just a case of flogging him to a side like West Ham, West Brom or Stoke who are more his level and would actually be able/happy to play to his strengths.

Turkish league is a reasonably good standard and the attraction for players is they can still earn very good money because of the low taxes plus there's still a chance to play in Europa/Champions League. If there's still money in Russia he'd probably do well there as well.

I think he's probably had his best season for us this year. Jose clearly has defined his role and used him in that way and to pretty good effect. He's done what he needed to do and he's been called upon to do a specific role which for the most part has been good for the team.

However...

If we want to take that leap back to challenging for the title. If we want to really start being major players in Europe then it's time to move him on. He is what he is but unfortunately part of that is he's a red card waiting to happen.

I think this kind of move could be good for him and it just feels like its the right time now. Let's move on and move this squad forwards.

If Fellaini was playing for another team based on his performances over the last 4 seasons would you want Utd to sign him?

If Fellaini was playing for another team based on his performances over the last 4 seasons would you want Utd to sign him?

Absolutely not. But he's flashed enough this year and he's done enough in the Premier League for a team somewhere to take a chance on him. We all know what he can do and what he can bring to a team... It's just for a team like ours that just isn't good enough and we need more.

It's got to be enough to attract him though. If you were Fellaini would you want to leave Man Utd for West Ham? It's a big step down probably not money wise as these clubs can now pay his sort of wage but it's the profile/prestige. Do you want to be the big fish in the small pond or a small fish in the big pond?

This I think is an issue with a lot of guys at Utd who maybe aren't at the level we need them to be, once they get to Utd it's not easy for them to leave as most of them are taking steps back down the food chain. Not many move on to clubs on a level par with Utd.

Fellaini's reputation makes him a big gamble for any manager as well as he's not particularly popular with any set of fans if your club sign him for say £15-20m and put him on £100k a week are you going to be happy?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NEWS! I wonder if this is going to come to fruition. If we do sell then surely we are close to buying. Intriguing turn of events.

Xmas has come early!

What on earth have they seen in him to convince them his their man? But Who cares I suppose, just take him please!

Mourinho: "It's easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane. He is too important to me. No chance."

So dead in the water then.

Mourinho really seems to trust Fellaini so not surprised by this at all. He does have his merits but does some stupid stuff. I was never one of the fans who hated his very existence at the club so happy he's staying.

Well that was a fun 24 hours Mourinho ruins all my fun haha

I still think he's used him because he's had to not because he's wanted to.

If the bombs ever dropped it would just be fellaini and the cockroaches haha

“It’s easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane,” he said. “If they need a manager, they can try and have a chance, but Marouane? Forget it. He’s too important for me.”

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back