Frenkie de Jong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I‘d sign him just so we can guarantee 6 points vs Leicester next season as all his good video clips seem to be him taking the p*ss against us.

Cant really argue with any of that he’s better than what we’ve got but not as good as De Jong which is why the price is so different and why one is the a target and one is the b target.

He makes our midfield a bit better but De Jong could make it a lot better.

If we can’t get the great player this summer then let’s at least get a good one in as we are short of options in midfield.

I‘d sign him just so we can guarantee 6 points vs Leicester next season as all his good video clips seem to be him taking the p*ss against us.

Cant really argue with any of that he’s better than what we’ve got but not as good as De Jong which is why the price is so different and why one is the a target and one is the b target.

He makes our midfield a bit better but De Jong could make it a lot better.

If we can’t get the great player this summer then let’s at least get a good one in as we are short of options in midfield.

EtH has already said if he can't get the player(s) he wants he'll try and develop players already at the club for those positions.

This is what I can't understand about United this summer. They needed 2 CMs. Now OK I guess that was perhaps unlikely but that's what they needed. We all know McTominay isn't good enough and Fred well he's got to be used right. If they weren't going to add 2 this summer then it needed to be 1 this and 1 next. So why not bring in Tielemanns this year? Even if long term he's rotational I think he's good enough to be part of a squad that competes for titles. Whereas McTominay isn't and Fred possibly isn't.

This is what I can't understand about United this summer. They needed 2 CMs. Now OK I guess that was perhaps unlikely but that's what they needed. We all know McTominay isn't good enough and Fred well he's got to be used right. If they weren't going to add 2 this summer then it needed to be 1 this and 1 next. So why not bring in Tielemanns this year? Even if long term he's rotational I think he's good enough to be part of a squad that competes for titles. Whereas McTominay isn't and Fred possibly isn't.

Think you need to accept that ETH sees Eriksen as a centre mid he’s the Pogba replacement and he sees De Jong as the Matic replacement.

Doesnt look like they’re going to bring much in from sales this summer so all the nice to haves won’t happen.

I’d happily sell VDB and McTominay and use that money to get Tielemens but it’s not football manager.

Because the money has been wasted on Martinez. Now we only have money for one big transfer and like you said, apparently it's FDJ or nothing.
FDJ is still not there and the championship start soon.
We will see, but history show we can't trust United to fix the midfield.
This has been a problem since Carrick left.

It's been a problem since Keane left. That was the last time we had two dominant midfielders.

Well guys it looks as though our midfield problems are no more, Tom Huddlestone is in the building. You can relax now. Tielemans hahahaha

I'd say 2008-09 was when it started to become a problem that was when Hargreaves/Anderson's injury problems kicked in both had great first seasons but never got back to anywhere near their best again and that was the time when the ownerships loans were a big problem for our spending power. Those two were big investments from the previous summer that should have been the midfield sorted for a few years but Utd only really got 1 good year out of them.

Carrick emerged and kind of carried whoever he played with for years but by 2013 when Scholes retired again it was a massive problem that we've spent fortunes trying to address but just haven't been able to pick winners.

It's the same all over the pitch apart from goalkeeper where we've barely spent a penny Utd just haven't been signing players anywhere near the quality of the players we had a decade ago.

Eriksen may well play CM though I'm not sure how that's going to work with Bruno in the team too. Feels risky but hey that's up to ETH to determine.

United just need to go and get a good CM. De Jong was the target but that's looking unlikely at this point and United need to move on there.

Guess it will depend on what he feels Eriksen can do he may be used a bit like Matic was at time just come on in games and calm things down we had this bad habit of trying to play at 100mph all the time and sometimes you needed a guy like Matic to just slow it down and shorten the passing. He was really really good at that part of the game but his legs were gone.

If De Jong doesn't come it may be Eriksen who has the job of going deep to take the ball off the defence in tight spots not what he's been known for in his career but something he in theory has the skill to do.

Eriksen trained with Ajax for a while before going to Brentford so ETH should have a pretty good idea of what he is capable of.

Eriksen is pretty high in the assist stakes, I think ETH will drop him back as a last resort though.

There is no way we finish this window without another signing. I predict two, a CM and a striker with Ronaldo going.

Eriksen is pretty high in the assist stakes, I think ETH will drop him back as a last resort though.

There is no way we finish this window without another signing. I predict two, a CM and a striker with Ronaldo going.

Problem is the guy ahead of him is higher up in the assist stakes.

I tend to agree more will come they need to I think there's still room for up to 4 to arrive.

Backup keeper - unless they're going with Heaton
Centre mid - obvious
Wide player - we are short here
Centre forward - if Ronaldo goes

Heaton is a fine back up keeper. Ronaldo isn't going.

RB and a CM should be what we are after.

I think there would have to be concerns over his ability to play 2 games a week at his age if De Gea suffered an injury also not sure how well he'll cope with the playing style.

I don't think it's a position where Utd will want to spend a lot of money but if there's something sensible available I think they could make a move.

2? Have you seen the pace at which the club tend to move? Yeah 2 isn't going to happen bud. You'll be lucky if you get 1 more.

Laporta said today he's stating. So yeah he'll be at united soon

Laporta said today he's stating. So yeah he'll be at united soon

Are they going to pay him his current contract though?

This might be the most confusing transfer we've ever been involved in.

Maybe he’ll agree to the pay cut which is the only way he will stay.

I just refuse to believe that we have dragged this out for so long, unless we have had significant encouragement that FDJ wants to come. I know some would say that this is typical of United but this is not the old regime.

He basically said if FDJ wants to stay on his current deal they can't do anything about it. They want him to stay, he's a great player and a great lad, he wants to stay, but they need him to fit into their new pay structure like all the new signings.

I guess that’s nothing new from Laporta - the same words have been recycled in the media for weeks now.

The links to Chelsea are hotting up a little and to be fair, the fact they have CL football could be a key thing here. I still think we’ve got him in the bag though - it’s just been a drawn out saga but sometimes the best things come to those who wait! :)

He basically said if FDJ wants to stay on his current deal they can't do anything about it. They want him to stay, he's a great player and a great lad, he wants to stay, but they need him to fit into their new pay structure like all the new signings.

So they need him to take a pay cut but they can't force him what else is new.

If they really wanted him to stay they wouldn't have agreed a deal with Utd to sell him.

They want him gone but they may have to accept the reality that they can't force him to go.

The mad thing is he would fit in the pay structure if he hadn't agreed a new deal with staggered wages the only reason he's outside of the pay structure is because they've underpaid him for 2 years.

Just so everyone knows in Spain Laporta is kind of known as a Boris Johnson type character says a lot of what people want to hear then behind the scenes does the opposite.

If United didn't have such a bad history with messing up deals then I'd perhaps buy in to the idea that "they wouldn't be waiting this long if they hadn't had any encouragement". But there's very little faith left in this team to do deals and conclude them. I just don't think he's coming to united I really don't.

If United didn't have such a bad history with messing up deals then I'd perhaps buy in to the idea that "they wouldn't be waiting this long if they hadn't had any encouragement". But there's very little faith left in this team to do deals and conclude them. I just don't think he's coming to united I really don't.
I agree.
It's too late now.
Time to move on.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

His departure was never really certain due to a number of reasons. The money owed, the fact he didn't want to leave, Laporta saying he wanted to keep him. Yes Laporta is a liar no doubt but sometimes he tells the truth.

I did read united might offer to pay their debt by paying him 400 grand a week. If they do that I give up.

Chelsea are still going to face the same brick wall we did which is he doesn't want to leave Barcelona and he certainly doesn't want to leave without them paying back the wages he feels he's owed.

Would be hilarious if he signed for Chelsea I'm at the point where you just have to laugh at this transfer.

How many more players can turn down Chelsea this summer for Barcelona?

I think we should ban chat on this thread until he signs, I see it as unread, think there has been a breakthrough, and then it's just meh! :p

Lets be honest most of that chat on this thread has nothing to do with De Jong.

To lose him to Chelsea would be seriously embarrassing for the club now probably a harsh reality check of where we are right now not even players second choices we may now be at the not even an option for the top players in world football.

Still looks a strange signing for Chelsea to me unless Jorginho is off they've got so many options in midfield they need to sort out their defence and attack.

He's not going to Chelsea, surely ETH is in contact with him for our eggs still to be in this basket

He's not going to Chelsea, surely ETH is in contact with him for our eggs still to be in this basket

At this stage who knows.

If Chelsea match our offer and agree to match his current contract they might be in pole position we kind of cling to this ETH thing but it's not like Tuchel is some sort of amateur he's one of the best coaches around.

My guess is Utd have said they're willing to offer him parity with the top earners (excluding Ronaldo) which would put him around £250-300k a week but if you believe the rumours his salary for next season is around £400k a week because of the wage deferrals.

Chelsea's transfer window has been so confusing seems to be totally scattergun not surprising given the new regime that's taken over but spending massive transfer fee on a centre mid and a left back when you are short at centre back and centre forward seems odd.

If he leaves Barca (and I remain sceptical that he will) then I think there's a better chance he ends up at Chelsea. A better team right now who are willing to spend money to improve and the chance to live in London. Sorry but that's the reality for United. Things took so long (not their fault) that this was always a risk. Sadly Arnold and Murtough are going to end up with egg on their face.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back