Frenkie de Jong

We might have to pay more than we wanted to, probably £73m + £12m which is what Barca wanted originally but can still see him at United this season, unless Barca can convince City to do a swap deal featuring Bernando Silva. He's out the door though, nothing surer. In fact i'd say there's more chance of Paul Pogba starting for United against Brighton in the first match of the new season that de Jong playing for Barca again.

And kudos to the lad for how he's handled it so far.

If as reported, FdJ is ETH's primary transfer target, then I would expect the club to table an appropriate and FAIR bid and enter into negotiations with Barca. This would be a demonstration of their full backing of the manager. Just go and get him, then move onto other targets, as it seems other transfers will only proceed once FdJ saga is resolved. This calling Barca's bluff just stinks of the old regime, showing that we have not moved forward at all. I think I might have read that the soon to depart Matt Judge is conducting negotiations. Anybody else heard this?

Not sure who's negotiating on Utd's behalf I imagine at this stage it's all being done through agents.

Judge resigned in April so not sure how involved he still is obviously he'll have a notice period to work to but from what we knew about him he only really came into the picture at the last minute of deals to lead negotiations the rest was done before that.

I don't think it's a case of bluff Barca may let a price be known you have to respect that but know there will always be some wiggle room but if they quote you 75m they aren't going to sell for 50m but they might do a deal at around 60m with some add ons to make up the rest.

If they are trying to sell him you don't want to scare off the bidders by pricing him out of a move.

United have offered 70m plus bonuses.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They just need to walk away. This is just silly now. Do other business. Go and sign other players.

Or stop pissing around, give them what they want up front, drop the add ons.
We know the price so yeah, pay it or walk away.
We did the same with Pogba.

I get that all transfers are a negotiation. A team wants to buy for X, a team wants to sell for Y and you negotiate to somewhere between the two. But United seem to mess around for so much longer than other clubs. Like they have to have one saga every summer.

Ah every week we don’t sign him, we are saving £300k. Now that’s business sense right there!

He Is on holiday use that time to negotiate with his club, what is the problem with that?

Even if we only get 5m off it’s worth doing.

If we are actually making offers it sounds to me like it’s happening and just a case of finding the point where both sides are happy

86m, got to ask, would it cost much more to get Rice

Just seen that was euros, so yeah, a fair bit more for Rice

At this point we probably just need to pay what Barca want. Obviously negotiation is good and is needed but if ETH wants de Jong 100% then we need to go all in.

Doesn’t sound like we are to far apart in terms of valuation so expect it to eventually get over the line but don’t want it to drag on for much longer.

The guy isn't due to return from holiday for 2 weeks so no need to rush as he isn't going to sign and complete a medical from whatever beach he's currently sitting on. Barca are holding strong and so are Utd but there will reach a point where both sides start to move.

My guess is Barca get their price but a chunk of it will be in add ons some of that will be easy add ons and some of it a bit more speculative but I'm confident this one gets done and for me there is no rush. That's basically how the deals are done now as Barca need can only show La Liga the guaranteed money on their books for FFP.

The only way this doesn't happen is if another club come in and put a better offer on the table to both Barca and the player right now we're the only buyer. Barca are not in a position where they can afford not to sell so eventually both sides will have to settle.

What can't happen is we can't just be focused on 1 deal we have to be working on more than 1 deal at a time.

What can't happen is we can't just be focused on 1 deal we have to be working on more than 1 deal at a time.
it appears that this is just the case, where until this deal goes through other deals are on standby, which is so frustrating and puts you at risk of missing out on your other targets.

it appears that this is just the case, where until this deal goes through other deals are on standby, which is so frustrating and puts you at risk of missing out on your other targets.

Always hard to tell as we don't really know what's going on some deals require other parts to start moving at other clubs before we can act.

For example with Antony it might be basically done but Ajax want to get their replacement sorted before they announce the departure.

Ajax are already looking like they're about to sell Haller to Dortmund and Gravenbech went to Bayern that might be enough for them to say actually Antony you have to stay 1 more season. If the Haller deal doesn't go through they might be willing to sell Antony instead. Selling Haller probably makes more sense because of his age.

At this stage Utd should know who the main targets are and be working on them while they keep the backup targets in play but as players start to return from holiday over next couple of weeks I think things will start moving.

I certainly hope so, as it appears other clubs are not having the same issues we are.

From what I've read, Barca are saying the price fixed because of La Liga rules. Don't know why, or if that's BS. But if it true, we must pay it or walk away.

From what I've read, Barca are saying the price fixed because of La Liga rules. Don't know why, or if that's BS. But if it true, we must pay it or walk away.
Yep. I still feel this deal should have been completed before the player went away on holiday.

La Liga rules don't allow you to book potential add ons as income for FFP purposes so they'll only be able to carry the guaranteed sum (even though it'll be paid in installments). You only account for the add ons for FFP purposes as they are paid. Same way you only incur the cost of bonuses you pay out as they are paid.

Barca need the money to get their La Liga budget squared up so they can try register the new signings for the up coming season.

If Barca don't sell De Jong they can't buy anyone unless they sell someone else for big money and there's no one else to sell so they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place there.

Utd may agree to pay a little more here but agree that Barca will be favourable next time the clubs do business we either get a discount or they pay a bit over on one of our players.

It’s all about negotiating. I believe we will get him.

I think we are close because according to some reports Barca put in an offer for Lewandowski yesterday so perhaps they feel the de Jong deal is close.

Is it, or is about being inept. How long has this been going on ffs.

Ok, we'll end up with him, after a whole summer of negotiation. And losing out on everyone else.

it's pathetic. Pay the bloody money and move on. I mean they paid more for Maguire ffs.

By the way, negotiation is where you agree a price somewhere between the two valuations.

Not what united do, piss around for 6 weeks then pay what the other club said they wanted 6 weeks ago

Well if you believe the reports the actual negotiations have been going on for about a week. First bid went in and was rejected and second improved offer has gone in and been reject.

As I've said all along the player is on holiday for another 2 weeks so there is plenty of times to negotiate and get the best deal possible. Would have been nice to have the deal done before the player went on holiday but that wasn't possible.

Utd probably expect to pay close to the asking price that is pretty much the norm but what they will be looking to do is to make as much as possible performance related and Barca will be looking for the opposite.

You can't hammer the club for paying over the odds for a player and then also hammer them for trying to drive the price down. It might prove a waste of time in 2 weeks we might agree to pay the fee but it was worth trying just in case. Either way the player wouldn't be at the club for 2 weeks anyway because of holiday use the time and see if Barca blink.

You best believe their president will be under pressure from their fans to get things moving transfer wise as currently they can't register anyone.

I just feel we look inept and unprofessional with our transfer negotiations. You should be able negotiate a good price in a much shorter time frame.

I just feel we look inept and unprofessional with our transfer negotiations. You should be able negotiate a good price in a much shorter time frame.

What doesn't help is Utd are constantly being linked with every man and his dog and most of it is nonsense.

Bayern apparently made 3 offers before pretty much paying Liverpool's asking price for Mane. Do they look unprofessional? Think the first offer was 25m plus 5 in add ons and they ended up paying 35m plus 5 in add ons which is pretty much what Liverpool wanted.

I think this gets sorted in the next 2 weeks I doubt Barca want him to report back for pre season they know they'll have to come down a little bit on the terms, same way Utd will know they need to come up to close the deal.

City/Liverpool used release fees to get their signings in the door which obviously removed complications around negotiations.

If Utd take 2 weeks and nibble £5m off the price then happy days if they end up spending that £5m no dramas as long as it's in the budget.

thats nonsense, it doesn't matter if he can't come for 2 weeks as he's on holiday.

the manager needs to plan. He can't plan if he doesn't know the squad

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back