Frenkie de Jong

We haven't got time to muck about, offer what they paid and say you've 7 days to answer. Not negotiable

We haven't got time to muck about, offer what they paid and say you've 7 days to answer. Not negotiable

We should be paying less than they paid.

On the books they’ve paid off 60% of that transfer fee from an FFP point of view and his time at Barca has seen his reputation decrease not increase.

They would be buzzing to get their money back.

Let's not pretend we aren't desperate too. Money back is a fair offer

It will be 4 weeks before this guy starts pre season training due to holidays so why try and force through negotiations with Barcelona now?

The personal terms and medical will be formalities sorted in 48 hours as all that is pre-agreed.

Because we cannot start a new season with the same midfield. Why wait 4 weeks to find he won't come, and get to a point Barca know we are desperate so have the upper hand.
Stupid to drag it out, the midfield problem needs sorting

The slight concern (and it is early days so I guess let's see) is that United haven't been able to work multiple deals in parallel. They need to add (as a minimum) 2 CMs, a CB and a attacking player plus ideally a RB. That means getting on with multiple deals. At this time they don't seem to be but it is early still.

What we can't do is wait, get desperate and make signings like Fellaini, still can't believe he played for Manchester United

He was asked about it yesterday, said he couldn't talk about it, which isn't a no

I think it’s happening if it wasn’t I expect Utd would have tried to leak something to cool the story down and yesterday De Jong would have played it down.

Just a case of finding the way of structuring the deal with Barca.

The slight concern (and it is early days so I guess let's see) is that United haven't been able to work multiple deals in parallel. They need to add (as a minimum) 2 CMs, a CB and a attacking player plus ideally a RB. That means getting on with multiple deals. At this time they don't seem to be but it is early still.

It's a complete new team working on the deals now though so hopefully that's improved.

He might be happy but if he's being forced to leave he might find himself unhappy pretty soon.

I'm getting bored of this saga.
Yep 100%. It has all the signs of Sneijder, Vidal, Fabregas etc sagas which drew out for long periods without ever becoming successful.

Honestly we need to say to Barca take it or leave it - as we cannot put all our eggs in one basket. Then come first game of the season it’s McFred again!

We should have had this sorted by now and either know he will sign, or moved on.
Farcical window coming up I fear, especially as Timber gas said no too

We should have had this sorted by now and either know he will sign, or moved on.
Farcical window coming up I fear, especially as Timber gas said no too
I agree. I think they'll be lucky to get 3 players in this summer I really do. Early days still but they need to act swift and get their business done.

reading the papers today,

It looks like we have offered 25m below their asking price with 10m add ons. Their asking price of 85m euros is roughly what they paid and seems fair.

United have left it so long thinking they could bluff Barca, that Barca have now raised 750m in funds and do not need to sell.

I don't think any club can have such an inept group in charge of transfers. Can you imagine any company having people like this in charge.

I dread to think who we are going to end up with this summer.

Gary Neville is growing concerned about the lack of activity. He acknowledges that it is still early days but they do need to get on with their business. They really need 3/4 signings by the middle to end of July I think so ETH can mould them together. I really think they will end up with just 2 signings and in a year or two United will unfortunately be looking for another new manager.

Gary Neville is growing concerned about the lack of activity. He acknowledges that it is still early days but they do need to get on with their business. They really need 3/4 signings by the middle to end of July I think so ETH can mould them together. I really think they will end up with just 2 signings and in a year or two United will unfortunately be looking for another new manager.
Aren’t you Mr Positivity! :p

There is still plenty of time to go, not quite sure people are losing their minds at the lack of signings. The time to panic would be if it comes to mid-July and we still haven’t signed anyone.

Aren’t you Mr Positivity! :p

There is still plenty of time to go, not quite sure people are losing their minds at the lack of signings. The time to panic would be if it comes to mid-July and we still haven’t signed anyone.
I don't disagree with you but there are a number of factors at play here.

1) The club have shown a real incompetence over the last few years in the transfer market. This is arguably the biggest summer they've had since Fergie left. Now that's a term that's been used many times in the last few years so it's perhaps debatable. However, with so many players leaving, with so many years since their last trophy, with their in and out of the top 4 yo-yo nature and with the issues in the dressing room this is a critical summer. They also have a new manager who needs to be backed big time otherwise he's going to fail.

2) City and Liverpool have moved big and early. Now united aren't going to catch those teams in the next year or 2 but it still isn't a good look for United.

3) Every year United go without success their appeal fades. Now you may argue that and United fans will argue that but it is true. United aren't the club or the pull factor they used to be. Young players now will barely remember United in their pomp.

I must say, it does feel like, just with murmurings, press chat etc, that we are f'ing about a bit. It's a short close season, first pre season game is 1 month away.

If it is true that De Jong was TH top target. That deal could have been wrapped up by now. Trying to short change Barca because we think they are desperate is pathetic. This club never learns. Think Fellaini.

I must say, it does feel like, just with murmurings, press chat etc, that we are f'ing about a bit. It's a short close season, first pre season game is 1 month away.

If it is true that De Jong was TH top target. That deal could have been wrapped up by now. Trying to short change Barca because we think they are desperate is pathetic. This club never learns. Think Fellaini.
Thing is they've got to be kind of smart with it. You can't just pay what a team wants you do have to negotiate. However, what United should do is move on at this point. They are apart in valuations and so they should move on to other targets and see if that changes the stance on Barcas side.

I don't think offering less than they bought him for was ever going to work.

The ways they are drumming up this 750m does sound a bit odd, so we'll have to see what their presser says later.

Them getting their money back on him really isn't fair when you know they are also skint also from an FFP point of view they don't owe the full amount on him so they can afford to take less. The reason they need the high fee is to try and use that money to sign a load of new players which is there problem not ours. If they don't sell De Jong they can't sign anyone and that is a big problem for them.

It's far from a saga even if we'd signed him he wouldn't even be at the training ground for at least 3 more weeks due to holiday so there's time to negotiate and get it done. If Utd are at the point of making bids to Barca then the personal terms will already be in the bag.

The point really is don't get to hyped by what is written as most of it is complete nonsense with very little truth behind it.

I'm not talking about the transfer rumour, if it is true they are about to announce 750m investment and don't need to sell anymore. Then clearly we f'd up big time pishing around over 10m.

I'm not talking about the transfer rumour, if it is true they are about to announce 750m investment and don't need to sell anymore. Then clearly we f'd up big time pishing around over 10m.

They do because the La Liga rules are all about your operating football costs this investment will allow them to manage their debts and also start the re-development of the stadium.

To register new players next season under the La Liga rules for every £1 they spend they need to generate £4 in savings from their current football budget. They can only do this by selling players or reducing their wage bill. Investment from external sources won't really matter unless there's a huge new sponsorship deal kicking in.

Football clubs essentially run two budgets there is real world profit and loss accounting like any business does but there's also a football budget to satisfy how they calculate all the financial fair play rules.

Barca don't need cash to buy players they need to create space in the football budget so that the league allows them to register the new players.

That's not what their president apparently said. Although something was meant to be announced officially today. So I'm not holding too much gravitas to it yet

Reading that article this deal basically breaks them even to the current wage bill so they have enough room to sign players on a free and maybe add Lewendowski but to sign the other players they want they still have to sell.

It’s a very complicated mess and looking at that they are having to give up big in the long term to cover the short term finance issues.

Wonder how the vote went.

Looking less and less likely we'll get him, especially his recent comments. As you've said before, let's get players who want to come

I still feel confident he has to say what he said when pressed just in case things fall through but players lie in interviews all the time.

I do think his preference is to stay at Barca the new manager likes him, he’s on great money and playing for a great team but if they say he has to go and he wants to come and show them what they’re missing then great.

Utd can’t sit around waiting forever though if Barca aren’t willing to be reasonable on the fee then move on to other targets.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back