Frenkie de Jong

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Few rumours in the Twittersphere tonight we are close to signing De Jong. Apparently the original source is a very reliable when it comes to Barca.

Watch this space I guess.

Does seem to be a bit of talk about this one.

Must admit I've only seen him a few times mainly for Holland but looks a fine player and the link with the new boss would be positive but maybe a little bit too early to get excited.

Does sound like he's on the move though as Barca need to cash someone in to sort out their financial problems.

Yeah but feels like he's the one that they can really generate a big transfer fee from.

They still need to find a way of getting Coutinho out the door can't see Villa paying that £35m fee in the loan deal he's been ok but no more than that. That club is still in such a massive hole financially and Utd should use and abuse that position to get the best deal possible for De Jong.

Who else are they looking to get rid of?

Yeah but feels like he's the one that they can really generate a big transfer fee from.

They still need to find a way of getting Coutinho out the door can't see Villa paying that £35m fee in the loan deal he's been ok but no more than that. That club is still in such a massive hole financially and Utd should use and abuse that position to get the best deal possible for De Jong.

Who else are they looking to get rid of?
They still have problem with Dembele but i can't see him chosing us. We are not in the CL.

United are expected to sign at least one midfielder this summer? Is what the Sky Sports article says. If they sign just one midfielder this summer then they are going to finish in a similar position next year.

United are expected to sign at least one midfielder this summer? Is what the Sky Sports article says. If they sign just one midfielder this summer then they are going to finish in a similar position next year.
Yes obviously, one player will not change anything, we need a minimum of four to start seeing a change.

Donny will be an extra body, with a manager who knows how to play him. And Garner

They still have problem with Dembele but i can't see him chosing us. We are not in the CL.

The problem being his contract expires and they can’t afford to pay him?

Utd shouldn’t be going anywhere near this kid he lacks professionalism until we’ve built a strong culture of top pro’s that will keep a kid like this in check we can’t bring him into the club.

If he’s serious about his career accept the pay cut and stay at Barca and prove yourself.

The problem being his contract expires and they can’t afford to pay him?

Utd shouldn’t be going anywhere near this kid he lacks professionalism until we’ve built a strong culture of top pro’s that will keep a kid like this in check we can’t bring him into the club.

If he’s serious about his career accept the pay cut and stay at Barca and prove yourself.
Professionalism ? Well, you are talking about of one of the best winger of the game. He proved is worth in France, Germany and Spain despite all the bad talk. No one can beat a man like he do, and he deliver crazy number of key pass. I watch Barça many time, and if the forwards converted even half of the chances he produce for fun, he will have tripled his stats.
I will never say no to Dembele if he really wanted to come, but that is not the case. If i was him, i will wait for the end of Mbappe saga and make my decision after. If he stay, take the pay cut and stay too, but if he go, call PSG to know if they want to take him. He can also try Liverpool and City. There is rummor they want to sell Salah (crazy salary demands) and Mahrez (too old).

Sounds more and more like FDJ rumour is just that. City, PSG and Munich also after him

Sounds more and more like FDJ rumour is just that. City, PSG and Munich also after him
Can only see Barça selling if they get 70m€ minimum and i don't believe Bayern will pay that. City has the biggest chance, they can propose a swap with Bernardo. Apparently Xavi is interested.

Professionalism ? Well, you are talking about of one of the best winger of the game. He proved is worth in France, Germany and Spain despite all the bad talk. No one can beat a man like he do, and he deliver crazy number of key pass. I watch Barça many time, and if the forwards converted even half of the chances he produce for fun, he will have tripled his stats.
I will never say no to Dembele if he really wanted to come, but that is not the case. If i was him, i will wait for the end of Mbappe saga and make my decision after. If he stay, take the pay cut and stay too, but if he go, call PSG to know if they want to take him. He can also try Liverpool and City. There is rummor they want to sell Salah (crazy salary demands) and Mahrez (too old).

He certainly proved his worth in France and Germany but his time at Barca has been a disaster. Only in the last 6 months have they managed to get a consistent level of performance out him. There were a number of issues such as turning up for training late, turning up having not slept properly, getting injured to often. He wasn't living the life of a pro player 24/7 and maybe that has finally changed and he's matured. He's been at Barca 5 years and only twice has he featured in more than half of their league matches so I think there has to be genuine questions about why that has been happening when he's clearly so talented.

He is an unbelievable talent but right now I think Utd have got to build a dressing room of fully committed winners who will die for each other on the pitch bring back that team spirit. Dembele for me is a risk and if he's chasing the money he's a risk we should not take because we've been down this road before and it hasn't worked.

City might take the gamble with him they probably feel the dressing room at City is strong enough to keep a guy like him in line. I don't think Liverpool would go for him as I don't think he fits their profile of player he isn't aggressive enough to play in that Liverpool side.

Wants City move, willing to lose 6m in Barca wages
The Sun was the initial source there so no doubt absolute baloney.

I could very much believe it though with Fernandinho on his way out. Kind of depends if the lure of working with ETH is enough. Also you would like to think some players could have a moral compass somewhere!

Gundogan is also expected to leave this summer.

If City are in for him we are going to struggle to get him.

Xavi basically said last night he didn’t want to lose him but the finances might force them to sell As they are way over their budget cap for next season.

Everyday we have more bad news. Look like all the good players will go elsewere. We will be forced to go for average talent that will not help us go in CL, just to get the number of players right for the season. We should already have dicussed about your targets with ETH and go for them as fast as possible. Now we will wait and wait again, untill there is no midfielder left.

The price for missing top 4, the current players are to blame. And the decision to appoint Ralf as manager

Top 4 or not if City’s come calling they’ll get players ahead of us.

Until Utd are challenging for and winning trophies they’re going to be second choice for a lot of players we can certainly match the wages but we can’t guarantee success anymore.

We just have to be smarter in the transfer market. A lot of the players we look at were somewhere else before they were at their present club. We need to identify these players early.

Story this morning saying Utd aren't prepared to break the bank for him.

Barca are looking to sell but they want a huge fee for him Utd apparently aren't interesting in spending all their budget on one signing.

Which would make the rumour of a lowish transfer budget sound true.

I think they want 65m, which doesn't seem too bad.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how fuming will people be if come the start of next season, our first starting line up includes Fred and McT? :p

The story only appeared following reports that Barca were looking to sell him to raise some much needed cash.

I'm sure Utd are interested and so will other clubs but this is a guy who's transfer value has declined in the last few years not increased.

They paid 75m euro for him in 2019 and from what I hear he was very good in his first season but in the last two he's struggled he's also on mega wages which is likely another reason they might be willing to let him move on if they get a decent offer.

Yeah, I don't think he's an outstanding player, but he would be an improvement, probably could get as good but cheaper.

But 65m sound about right for an average player these days, how much was Fred.

Yeah, I don't think he's an outstanding player, but he would be an improvement, probably could get as good but cheaper.

But 65m sound about right for an average player these days, how much was Fred.

Fred was around £50m think we paid a release clause to get him.

Arsenal paid £50m for Partey, City paid £60m for Rodri and Chelsea paid £45m for Kovacic so I'd say that's the sort of ball park you could be look at.

Without getting to technical they'll value him based on his FFP value they paid 75m euro in 2019 on a 5 year contract to 2024 that's 15m a year on the books. He signed a new deal in 2020 extending to 2026 meaning in 2020 they could split the remaining 60m (year 1 they paid off 15m) over 6 years so 10m a year so they still owe 40m for him from an FFP point of view. So anything above 40m for them is "profit" from the FFP point of view. I think you could get him for 50-60m this summer.

They'll also be looking at his £350k a week salary and thinking getting that off the books will help with La Liga's FFP rules which caps their salary spend.

The player has said in the last few days he's very happy at Barca and wants to stay and Xavi seems to rate him but it may well be the president telling the player he has to go.

I did read Xavi hasn't played him so much recently. No idea if it's true though. Not watched them.

I had a quick look and he's played in 30 of their league matches this season suggests he's getting plenty of playing time started 5 of the last 6 matches.

Honestly think if it wasn't for the mess of their finances they'd be keeping hold of him but they need a big sale to balance the books and they feel he's one that they can get good money for they can cope with losing him.

I think he may end up at City? Apparently they have told Gundagon he can leave this summer and De Jong feels like an ideal City player.

Think Gundogan wants a longer contract and City are only willing to offer him a 2 year deal because of his age so he's looking to move on. There's rumours Bernardo Silva wants to move on as well fancies a new challenge.

From memory they tried hard to get him when he went to Barca so if he is available you would imagine they'll be sniffing around.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back